Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition - Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Pronman: Auditing the grades for the 2016 NHL Draft
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Grade: A-plus
2016 grade: A

The Auston Matthews draft for the Leafs netted them a franchise center and one of the best players in the league. He brings elite skill and an elite shot with a big frame down the middle. The Leafs made 10 picks after Matthews, which helped push this draft a little extra over the edge.

Carl Grundstrom and Yegor Korshkov are both power wingers that I think will play. Goalie Joe Woll has been up and down but he’s a great athlete and a good prospect. Center Adam Brooks has some intrigue, too. A lot of their other picks have flamed out, with third-rounder James Greenway being the most notable of the likely whiffs. However, those five players that I mentioned have made the Leafs’ 2016 class the best in the NHL that year.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Scott was already on the radar. He was on the U18 team. It may have been different if he was not on the radar in the first place, but it shouldn't be a problem since he was already there before.

It's mostly just hard to make the team, barring being a god (which as of right now, Scott is as well), if you were not already on previous Canada teams (i.e. U18 and especially U17; if you were not on the U17 then good luck) and in the system.
Yup. People all around the league think very highly of Ian Scott. There was an article posted before the start of the season where some WHL players believe he is a top 5 WHL in the league. Reading and watching him, he has great athleticism and positioning which is a key to becoming a solid NHL goaltender. If he has a strong mental game and nhl tracking ability, I think we got a great goaltending prospect.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Are there any updates on Rasanen? Played 6 games for Joker and that has been it. He is listed as active vs sidelined on their site. They have a dozen defensemen listed so that is quite a taxi squad but he hasn't played in weeks which seems a bit much from a development standpoint. Anyone?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Too bad JD Greenway never turned into anything for us. Still hope I suppose but man could have been one great draft in 2016.

member 147413

Are there any updates on Rasanen? Played 6 games for Joker and that has been it. He is listed as active vs sidelined on their site. They have a dozen defensemen listed so that is quite a taxi squad but he hasn't played in weeks which seems a bit much from a development standpoint. Anyone?
@GeorgeLeafer12

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The team is coming off its best regular season performance in its entire 100 year history, and we again have one of the best records this season. How do you separate Babcock from that? That's a technical question. I've seen a tendency for people, consciously or not, to ascribe all of the team's success to the talent of our individual players, and all of its insufficiencies to Babcock's system. I don't think it's possible to separate the two in a way that's intellectually honest.

I think it's a minimum 2 years of objective failure before firing Babs is on the table.

I agree it is too early, and I am not anti-babcock like some here. But if by the end of 2019-2020 we have not made any progress, I think it will have to be considered.

That would be after year 5/8 or after year 3 with expectations. At that point, I don't think it would be crazy. While this example is extreme, Ovie didn't win a Cup until Coach #5. Hoping it doesn't take 14 years and 5 coaches, but if we haven't progressed and the system is stale/a failure after 2019-2020, it needs to be considered.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Growlers' Ryan Moore is the undersized kid who keeps...
Throughout the summer and into training camp, Keefe consistently pointed to Moore as a player the Leafs were looking to work closely with — someone they believed in and identified as a legitimate prospect.

“I’ve always found him to be a guy with lots of skill who can make plays. I think he’s an undersized guy and that’s one of the things he has had to overcome but it’s exciting to see him in this camp and in exhibition games where he gets to play at what is a lower calibre, clearly, than an NHL camp – and that’s a chance for some of that skill to show itself and I thought he did a good job of that,” Keefe said before a practice,
pausing to yell at the players who were on the ice ahead of him to get going.

“I’ve made it clear to him there’s still opportunities. There’s going to be opportunities on our current roster and there’s always opportunities that could create themselves, whether that’s injuries or waiver claims, so there are lots of things that can happen. And then if nothing else, you’re competing for a chance to be our first call-ups. And we’re going to need players. That’s the reality of the AHL.”
And when the Leafs cut him from Marlies camp, the chip just grew bigger.

“They said it was a development process. They obviously had some pretty good guys that were coming down from the Leafs and everybody knew the writing was on the wall. I thought I showed well but at the end of the day I think for my development it’s probably going to be a blessing,” Moore finished.

“It’s not the news you want, and nobody wants to be cut or call home and say that they’re going halfway across the world. But for me, I’ve realized that that’s pro hockey and that’s the business of things and for my development to be able to come here and learn from a guy like (head coach) Ryane Clowe, you can already tell that they really do want to develop their players and it really shows. So for me, especially, it’s going to be good to get this under my belt and we’ll see where it goes.”

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
OHL Top Performers for October – Ontario Hockey League

Toronto Maple Leafs and Kyle Dubas liked
OntarioHockeyLeague‏Verified account @OHLHockey 16h16 hours ago
More
Congrats to @MapleLeafs prospect @hollowell44 named #OHL Defenceman of the Month with 15PTS in 13GP helping @OHLHoundPower climb atop the West standings in October:

Dq8eunUUcAAK7O3.jpg

Reactions: Critical91

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
SDA only has 21 goals in 146 OHL games, is that something we should be concerned with?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
SDA only has 21 goals in 146 OHL games, is that something we should be concerned with?
It kind of sucks but i dont think Barzal was a big CHL goal scorer. I think the Leafs see a lot of upside in his future, since they gave him a ELC. Maybe the Leafs think they can develop him into a beauty once they get him on the Marlies. Its best to sit back and wait a few years with these non top 10 picks.

Reactions: mavis

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Too bad JD Greenway never turned into anything for us. Still hope I suppose but man could have been one great draft in 2016.

He's doing pretty well in the USHL. He's in the top tier in terms of defensive production (even though he started slow the first 5 or 6 games) and he's probably the least offensively oriented player on that list.

He's also by far the offensive catalyst on his team.

It may be a long shot, but if he can finish his NCAA career strong, he may still turn into something. Many productive NHLer's have 5 or 6 year post Draft year NCAA/USHL careers, although usually they start school later rather than earlier and transferring.

Reactions: hockeynorth

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Grundstrom Mueller Bracco
Timashov Cracknell Gagner
Marchment Brooks Moore
Engvall Jooris Greening

Rosen Liljegren
Borgman Subban
Sandin LoVerde

Glass

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyromaniac

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We need to pickup a goalie for the marlies, Glass is trash.
Hopefully Carolina waives mac soon

It's been a crap show on both ends. Chicago Blackhawks game 2.0. McAdam has done well in relief at least... I think he deserves a chance and the next start.

That 4th line of Engvall, Greening and Jooris has also been on for 3 of the goals, so it's hardly been inspiring. Jooris has really not played up to expectations, especially since people thought he could have been the Leafs' 4C. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts getting scratched now that Brooks has come back.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Bracco is quickly becoming a guy we should be offering up as a sweetener in any bigger deals. Grundstrom, Moore, Engvall and Timashov all have more projectable games and are out producing him by a fair margin.

Reactions: JustAShadow

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bracco is quickly becoming a guy we should be offering up as a sweetener in any bigger deals. Grundstrom, Moore, Engvall and Timashov all have more projectable games and are out producing him by a fair margin.

he hasn't been a real prospect in a while now imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad