Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition - Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is this really a valid argument that the his coach speaks optimistically and positively when asked to comment about the player specifically? Like there is any other tack a pro coach should take in that circumstance. I'm sure there were times when Keefe spoke positively about former Marlies like Bibeau, Valiev, Rychel, Percy, Sam Carrick, etc. I don't expect him to do anything other than that when publicly discussing any of his players.

Sheldon Keefe would not be the first coach to talk negative about a player if he felt negatively about Bracco.

Bracco worked his ass off last season with the strength and conditioning team at the start of the season to get stronger and faster. He then entered the lineup and had a great last half, with 32 points in 50 games. He broke records in the USNDP, and was a big part of the Windsor team that won the Memorial Cup in junior.

Now because he is off to a slow 10 game start, on a team that as a whole is playing below what they can, people are acting like he's no longer a legitimate prospect.

HF at it's finest.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Sheldon Keefe would not be the first coach to talk negative about a player if he felt negatively about Bracco.

Bracco worked his ass off last season with the strength and conditioning team at the start of the season to get stronger and faster. He then entered the lineup and had a great last half, with 32 points in 50 games. He broke records in the USNDP, and was a big part of the Windsor team that won the Memorial Cup in junior.

Now because he is off to a slow 10 game start, on a team that as a whole is playing below what they can, people are acting like he's no longer a legitimate prospect.

HF at it's finest.
For the record, I still do consider Bracco a legit prospect; I just see Grundstrom, Moore, Engvall and Timashov being more likely to be a factor on OUR team. Bracco still likely possesses the highest upside (and greatest risk), but I wouldn't be particularily upset if he was the one to be dealt.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

OHL
16-17
3.png
Kitchener Rangers
OHL27173451
3.png
Windsor Spitfires
OHL3082432
31.png
USA U20
WJC-207325
17-18
3.png
Toronto Marlies
AHL5062632
18-19
3.png
Toronto Marlies
AHL10123
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Good produced in his post draft year. He was headed for great season the year after being traded, where his numbers fell dramatically. However it seems he was learning the defensive game. Started off slow with the Marlies, then he started to produce.

Bracco has performed since age 17.

that is not the kind of production from an all-offense prospect that indicates nhl success in the future.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I've been saying similar things about Bracco since he finished his first year in the OHL. There was a huge dropoff right there from what you would have expected from him based on his play in the US program.

That said, I can see the talent, and expected him to breakout this year. Not looking good so far.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
For the record, I still do consider Bracco a legit prospect; I just see Grundstrom, Moore, Engvall and Timashov being more likely to be a factor on OUR team. Bracco still likely possesses the highest upside (and greatest risk), but I wouldn't be particularily upset if he was the one to be dealt.

Yeah, sorry. The top line was in direct response to you. The rest of the post was more in general. The only prospects I'd be upset about dealing are Grundstrom, Sandin and Liljegren. Even then, it depends on the deal.

It just seems whacky to me that some are essentially writing off Jeremy Bracco because of 10 games of poor play, when the rest of his play at the USNDP, CHL, and AHL are extremely promising, to go with the work ethic and coachability that Sheldon Keefe has talked about both this year and last year.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I have no problem with a 24/25 year old NHL rookie Bracco on the leafs, at worse he will be a good offensive player for the marlies for a few more years.

Reactions: LeafChief

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yeah, sorry. The top line was in direct response to you. The rest of the post was more in general. The only prospects I'd be upset about dealing are Grundstrom, Sandin and Liljegren. Even then, it depends on the deal.

It just seems whacky to me that some are essentially writing off Jeremy Bracco because of 10 games of poor play, when the rest of his play at the USNDP, CHL, and AHL are extremely promising, to go with the work ethic and coachability that Sheldon Keefe has talked about both this year and last year.

You're obviously talking about zeke and I, so how about replying to some particular posts? Because I certainly am not basing my position on these 10 games. You're basically strawmanning.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You're obviously talking about zeke and I, so how about replying to some particular posts? Because I certainly am not basing my position on these 10 games. You're basically strawmanning.

It's not really worth getting into. It's all opinion based, and nothing I will say will change your opinion. He's an offensive minded player, whose production at all levels speak for itself. His downfalls were his strength and his defensive play. Keefe has been outspoken about Bracco's effort into improving those. Dubas said that 2 years ago, Bracco would regularly make trips from Kitchener/Windsor to Toronto to work with our staff.

So his work ethic is clearly there, the talent is clearly there, the production is clearly there aside from this early stretch.

So unless you think his defensive play is so extremely awful he won't amount to anything, which I'd say it's not, there is no reason to not consider Bracco a legitimate prospect.

Reactions: stickty111

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

but they aren't promising at all.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's not really worth getting into. It's all opinion based, and nothing I will say will change your opinion. He's an offensive minded player, whose production at all levels speak for itself.

agreed.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He's an offensive minded player, whose production at all levels speak for itself.

Yeah, it speaks to a guy that doesn't project to be an NHL player. 80-90 points in junior just doesn't do that. I mean, compare him to a guy like Brown, who blows his production out of the water at every level, and he's always been an exemplary 200 foot player to boot.

I'm not saying Bracco isn't a legit prospect, but he's not close and not one of our better ones.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, it speaks to a guy that doesn't project to be an NHL player. 80-90 points in junior just doesn't do that. I mean, compare him to a guy like Brown, who blows his production out of the water at every level, and he's always been an exemplary 200 foot player to boot.

I'm not saying Bracco isn't a legit prospect, but he's not close and not one of our better ones.

Technically, Brown played with McDavid, and then on teams that had like Nylander on it. I am pretty sure Bracco is playing with Grundstrom and Mueller. He should be producing more with them, but it is still nothing like what Brown had. Bracco has a lot more natural skill than Brown, who mostly just plays a hustle game and has some terrible offensive luck in the NHL (along with some sort of mental skill block offensively at times).

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Sandin is already a better shooter than rielly, classic.

I don’t know why you need to bash a player to prop another up. Too bad Sandin’s skating and ability to join the offence is about 1/10th of Rielly’s. See how that works? No player is perfect and Rielly is fantastic at getting shots through traffic so take your agenda elsewhere please.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Technically, Brown played with McDavid,

No, he played with Fox and Gaunce. This is a common misconception.

and then on teams that had like Nylander on it. I am pretty sure Bracco is playing with Grundstrom and Mueller. He should be producing more with them, but it is still nothing like what Brown had. Bracco has a lot more natural skill than Brown, who mostly just plays a hustle game and has some terrible offensive luck in the NHL (along with some sort of mental skill block offensively at times).

Bracco played on a dominant championship winning team. They both played on good teams in the AHL as rookies, Bracco was a scratch half the year, and Brown lead the team in scoring by a 13 point margin. Putting in on Nylander doesn't make much sense since Nylander only scored at a slightly higher rate than Brown, and only played half the season.

Reactions: Lauro

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
No, he played with Fox and Gaunce. This is a common misconception.

Bracco played on a dominant championship winning team. They both played on good teams in the AHL as rookies, Bracco was a scratch half the year, and Brown lead the team in scoring by a 13 point margin. Putting in on Nylander doesn't make much sense since Nylander only scored at a slightly higher rate than Brown, and only played half the season.
Brown played a top line role on a team with limited depth. Bracco played a 4th line role on a team with incredible depth.
He wasnt a scratch half the year. Stop making up facts to suit your agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad