Prospect you've given up on

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Jag68Vlady27 said:
I think the clock is ticking on Ron Hainsey, for sure. Also, while it's still a tad early I'm starting to think that Robert Nilsson will become a huge bust in the near future.

There are several more. In fact, you could probably name one player per organization that falls into this category.

a couple of sources indicate the isles aren't happy with all the 4th line mins,thinking he needs a lot of icetime and will bring him over to Bridgeport for next season.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
yeah, I still don't understand how the Pens didn't get at least 1 first round pick in that trade. I know Craig Patrick is in the hall of fame...but....
Because there were only 2 teams willing to trade for him. Washington and NYR. Washington made a lot better offer. NYR was willing to send overpaid, over the hill scrubs. At least the Wash offer involved kids with potential.

CP had no room to request more. Jagr wanted out, and there were only 2 offers. He took the better offer.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Also, while it's still a tad early I'm starting to think that Robert Nilsson will become a huge bust in the near future.

you're not alone with this. i'm not really sold on nilsson and what he has done since being drafted. it's too soon to call him bust, but at least i have some real doubts about his future.

Reilly311

craig1 said:
CP had no room to request more. Jagr wanted out, and there were only 2 offers. He took the better offer.

Couldn't they have waited? Perhaps more teams might have joined the mix? :dunno:

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Alexander Drozdetsky. Not that Ive ever seen more than clips of him on the internet, or that I dont think he couldnt be a good NHL forward. I just dont think he will ever leave Russia to play in the AHL. I dont see the Flyers giving him ice time without some exposure to the North American game without the option of sending him down to the Phantoms.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I am not sure how you can give up on a guy liek Nystrom or Kobasew.

#1 They are both very young.

#2 Nystrom has done decent for himself adn was never touted as a high scorer but he has remianed strong in his areas where he was seen as strenths. he has been a great leader, checker and excellent defensively. He also chose to get an education. Until he plays in the NHL, than you cannot count him out. Heck, he hasn't even tried out for the team BUT I am quite confident he will reaplce Gelinas in the next 1-2 years.

#3 Kobasew has rounded out his game. He is now starting to impress the hell out of me in the AHL. The guy is leading the team (leadership I mean) as well as scoring like mad. Lowell would be in big trouble if they did not have Krahn or Kobasew. That is basically 1/2 there teams success right there.
I have not given up on them being NHL'ers. I just don't see either of them as anything more than role players. I see Kobasew as a third liner and Nystrom as a 3rd/4th liner, if he even makes it.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
DaveyCrockett said:
I have not given up on them being NHL'ers. I just don't see either of them as anything more than role players. I see Kobasew as a third liner and Nystrom as a 3rd/4th liner, if he even makes it.

Sutter stated last year that he saw Kobasew taking the #2 RW spot for the Flames. He failed to do that so he rounded out his game. I think this year in the AHL he has improved upon his leadership area and regained his offensive confidence. I definately wouldn't count this kid out of a top 6 forward spot, considering Sutter thinks he can do it.

As for Nystrom, I think he would make a strong 3rd line checker who can play against other teams opposition. To me that is a very critical position and holds a lot of value. Just because he won't be a 30+ scorer does not mean he won't have worth. Being a guy the team can look up to shut down the other team is very nice. Up until last year, would you call Drapers roll insignifcant?

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
kruezer said:
I've given up on a couple of Flame second rounders. Brian McConnell and Andrei Medvedev. I don't see McConnell ever being more than an AHL grinder, and I'm really doubting that Medvedev is ever going to cross the pond, he's still fairly young, but I don't see Sutter putting up with him at all if he shows up and is really heavy, which is quite likely.

ditto McConnel

I'm more down on Taratukhin than I was 6 months ago

I would guess alot of Flames fans are upgrading Krahn

I'm not at all concerned about 2 other Flames players that a few have listed: Kobasew (who I still think will be a 2nd line RW) and Nystrom(who I never pictured as more than a solid 3 line W to begin with)

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Fleuryfan29 said:
I have given up on Colby Armstrong, Patrick Bartschi, Steve Crampton, Vladimir Malenkykh and Tomas Duba.
A lot of PENS fans have given up on Kris Beech and I do not know why? Last year in the Playoffs everyone was so hight on him and Kostopolous and we turn on him? Dosen't make sence.

How can you give up on Armstrong and Bartschi? Armstrong is playing very well in the AHL this season and is on pace to make new highs in every statistical column by far. Bartschi has been a top line player in the Swiss League for a couple years and is having a poor start to this season only because he is recovering from an injury. Duba I can understand, only because he is stuck in Europe and is a prospect on a team with some of the best goaltending depth. Malenkykh will likely never come to NA. I think most Pens fans gave up on Crampton a long time ago though...

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Sad to say it, but one of my favorite prospects ever, Denis Shvidki.

He had all the talent in the world, but didn't have a good attitude and unfortunately got injured. Had he panned out, he would've been a top 15 scorer in the league :teach: He had everything.

Also, some guys who are teetering on the edge for me in FLA:

Vaclav Nedorost (he will be a solid 3rd line player at least, but could be a top line player still, haven't given up on him yet, one more year will tell all IMO)

Petr Taticek (could also be a solid NHL player but I expect more from him)

From other teams:

Kris Beech
Jamie Lundmark
Alex Svitov
Glazachev (I had been high on him before the draft in 02)

Close to giving up on:
Chistov
Vorobiev
Yakubov

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
ClashCitiRockr said:
Florida Panthers have the obvious one in Shvidki, but I'm also losin faith on Krajicek's ability to play any sort of defense.I'll give him this year and maybe next, but I'm startin to think the Panthers might be better off movin him to wing.
Most obvious by far for the panthers sadly.

Krajicek would have a better scoring touch than most of the players up front for us ;) . Moving him to wing makes no sense though. He's an offensive dman who is not THAT bad on defense. people don't give him any credit back there. He's not HORRID like Biron. We'll Biron's not THAT bad either come to think of it. It's just cuz he's big and doesn't use it.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
zecke26 said:
i don't think his clock is ticking, i think his time is already up. he's done.

par backer and paul ballantyne are definately two guys that disappointed me. i was very high on both and although they were no high picks they had their times when they played like good NHL prospects. but backer is now on a low SEL level and bally is not really on a solid AHL level.
the next one who could disappoint is stefan liv. it looks like he's really struggling now and i'm not sure if it would help to bring him to grand rapids. he should've gone over two years ago when he was on top. but at least there's still some hope for him.

Well I was never that high on Ballantyne to begin with, so I did't care much, but for Backer I thought he would be a future 3rd liner, now that looks pretty far out of reach, I also had some hope for Tolsa at one point, but now that hope is pretty much gone.

But I had so much hope for Kopecky, I thought with his size he could some day be an impact 2nd line player, then last year I still did't give up on him but thought he'd be a good future 3rd liner instead because he dropped, now I'm losing most of the hope, I still have a little faith in him but he better stop being lazy and pick up his game.

Liv I hav't given up on, although he's struggling at the moment, I hope at least he'll be a decent back-up someday.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Reveille said:
I'm giving him this one last year (once the NHL starts). He's been playing very solid in the AHL and is said to be playing like his OLD self. We'll see.

I know Hartford isn't an offensive powerhouse, but 4 points in 7 games isn't exactly promising.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Birko19 said:
Well I was never that high on Ballantyne to begin with, so I did't care much, but for Backer I thought he would be a future 3rd liner, now that looks pretty far out of reach, I also had some hope for Tolsa at one point, but now that hope is pretty much gone.

tolsa should play in grand rapids next season otherwise his NHL chances are over. he needs to show that he's able to compete.
same with valtonen i think. i was very high on him and had hopes that he could be a nice grinder, but somehow he needs to go over and show what he's all about.

But I had so much hope for Kopecky, I thought with his size he could some day be an impact 2nd line player, then last year I still did't give up on him but thought he'd be a good future 3rd liner instead because he dropped, now I'm losing most of the hope, I still have a little faith in him but he better stop being lazy and pick up his game.

nobody will change kopecky's mind. he's not really willing to play NHL one day, so i say he's back in europe next season.

Liv I hav't given up on, although he's struggling at the moment, I hope at least he'll be a decent back-up someday.

liv had a good game today and he finally shows a bit of last years liv. but he should be in grand rapids now. unfortunately for him macdonald is playing better and better, macintyre is doing a good job as a backup and even koopmans is playing good. the best for liv would be to come over and start as backup for the mighty wings. but either legace or cujo has to left before. i hope it's cujo. or macdonald could grab the backup job and liv get's the starting job in grand rapids. but this guy needs games.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
Fleuryfan29 said:
I have given up on Colby Armstrong, Patrick Bartschi, Steve Crampton, Vladimir Malenkykh and Tomas Duba.
A lot of PENS fans have given up on Kris Beech and I do not know why? Last year in the Playoffs everyone was so hight on him and Kostopolous and we turn on him? Dosen't make sence.

I think giving up on most the names you just mentioned makes less sense, especially Armstrong, who is having an excellent season. Beech has had more oppurtunities than any of those guys, and has blown them all. I'll agree that Vlad'll probably never cross to NA, and I never had much hope in Crampton...but the other three IMO have shown little reason to be given up on. Beech has been digressing since his NHL rookie season, which is why a lot of Pens fans (myself included) are starting to sour on him.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
Fleuryfan29 said:

Im curious why you have given up on Bartschi. IMO you cant have asked for anything more so far from a guy drafted 202nd overall only 2 years ago. He is 20 and has had 2 solid seasons in a row in the top Swiss League and was dominant in the World Juniors 2 years ago. Yes the Swiss league is not one of the biggest developmental leagues (not even close and he really should transfer to develop) but IMO he has been developing well and could be an NHLer.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
Couldn't they have waited? Perhaps more teams might have joined the mix? :dunno:
Jagr demanded a trade on more than one occasion. He was more of a liability than an asset. His nearly $10 million dollar price tag was too much of a burden to keep him. The Pens did the best they could in the trade. As you may notice, just after that trade began more financially motivated trades where teams got nothing in return.

Also, Jagr was close to being a UFA. Waiting wasn't an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad