Prospect you've given up on

Status
Not open for further replies.

JF

Résidences Soleil?
Apr 7, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I'm pretty close to be giving up on Ron "Hollywood" Hainsey. It's a shame how much a crappy attitude can screw up so much talent...

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Alex Auld. From what I've seen, I have no idea why the Canucks organization hypes him so much. He's got so many holes to his game, shows very little improvement if any at all (I believe he's actually retrogressed since last season), and really shows no reason why we should put so much stock into him.

Legionnaire said:
Does Jamie Lundmark still count? :(

I always had such high hopes for the kid.

Me too. I watched him quite a bit in junior and he was dynamite.

I haven't really given up on any highly touted Flames prospects, but that's mainly because the cupboard is pretty much empty from before the 2000 draft. All of the high picks from before then are no longer with the organization (including the much maligned busts like Fata and Tkaczuk).

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Jani Rita. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him ever making the impact at the NHL level that many of us believed and hoped for.

SedinFan*

kmad said:
Alex Auld. From what I've seen, I have no idea why the Canucks organization hypes him so much. He's got so many holes to his game, shows very little improvement if any at all (I believe he's actually retrogressed since last season), and really shows no reason why we should put so much stock into him.

You're seeing a much different Alex Auld than most. He's got a 2.39 gaa and a .918 save percentage this year with Manitoba. Impressive especially after his slow start.

Whenever Auld has been called upon with the Canucks, he's shown he belongs in the NHL. I honestly don't know what you're seeing. For a goalie his size, he's technically sound, and his positioning is quite stellar for a young goaltender. Sure he's had his bad moments, but that's what you have to expect with a 23 year old goaltender.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Legionnaire said:
Does Jamie Lundmark still count? :(

I always had such high hopes for the kid.

I'm giving him this one last year (once the NHL starts). He's been playing very solid in the AHL and is said to be playing like his OLD self. We'll see.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
kmad said:

Heheheh, while Auld may not be an elite goaltending material/prospect, he's actually improved by quite a margin this season compared to last:

http://www.theahl.com/AHLStatistics0405/goaltendingleaders.html

SV% went from 0.915-0.918, and GAA from 2.55-2.39.

While those might not be "WHOA OMG AMAZING!" number improvements, you have to consider Auld had like 3 straight shakey starts at the beginning of the season (yanked like after letting in like 2 goals on 3 shots or something), and has only played 11 games in total this season. Since returning from his concussion, he's played 3 games, allowing only 4 goals in that time.

But the prospects I'm most disappointed in (Canucks wise), are Fedorov and Reid. Fedfed for obvious reasons. His brain is the size of a puck. His talent is the size of Chara. Mix that together, and you get disappointment. Reid, while never considered anywhere near an "elite prospect", had the potential for a Matt Cooke type career. Like 30-40 pts, high energy, checker, speed, etc. kind of guy. But by bolting the Moose, and playing in Europe, it really showed what kind of character he has.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Mt.Nigeria said:
You're seeing a much different Alex Auld than most. He's got a 2.39 gaa and a .918 save percentage this year with Manitoba. Impressive especially after his slow start.

Whenever Auld has been called upon with the Canucks, he's shown he belongs in the NHL. I honestly don't know what you're seeing. For a goalie his size, he's technically sound, and his positioning is quite stellar for a young goaltender. Sure he's had his bad moments, but that's what you have to expect with a 23 year old goaltender.

Haha, oops. Sorry for repeating what you said. I posted way too slow and wasn't able to catch your post. But we agree with the same thing anways. And yes, he's only 23 yrs old. Goalies take forever to develop.

And if none of that changes opinions about Auld, then at least be happy he's better than Cloutier. <-----Fact. I'd trust Auld in game 7 of the cup finals over Cloutier anyday.

SedinFan*

Kmad will reply with 'stats are stats' or something like that, and he'll pick on Auld's lateral movement, and put it into question, especially his five hole. Which is fine, there have been instances where Auld's five hole has been somewhat of a 'problem'. Personally, not a huge problem in my mind.

However, when you're a 6'4 goaltender, as Auld is, you tend to have long legs. If you've ever tried to play goalie, at that height, which I am not sure how tall you are, or if you even do play hockey; you'll realize that you'll have those slips five hole wise. The more time that goes by, and the more experience he gets, trust me, it will dissapear.

Happens with all young, large goaltenders. Sometimes you have to go through growing pains, but in the end it will be worth it.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Auld has terrible:
-reflexes
-recovery
-five-hole
-lateral movement

You can't have that many humongous weaknesses and be a franchise goalie.

Kamsa

Jun 18, 2004
From what ive seen, ive givin up on Nathan Smith for Vancouver. How would you folks in Winnipeg like to give us a report on how he is progressing this year?

SedinFan*

kmad said:
Auld has terrible:
-reflexes
-recovery
-five-hole
-lateral movement

You can't have that many humongous weaknesses and be a franchise goalie.

You're watching a different goaltender. You sure that's not Cloutier?

SedinFan*

NucksFan said:
From what ive seen, ive givin up on Nathan Smith for Vancouver. How would you folks in Winnipeg like to give us a report on how he is progressing this year?

Nathan Smith; most likely will be a depth guy that the Canucks will call up if their lineup is depleted by injury.

Canucks drafted him after 1 good offensive season, another poor draft pick by the Canucks, but us Canuck fans are used to first round busts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad