Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
kmad said:
Auld has terrible:
-reflexes
-recovery
-five-hole
-lateral movement

You can't have that many humongous weaknesses and be a franchise goalie.

Cloutier has excellent:
-reflexes
-recovery
-decent five-hole
-lateral movement

But we all know he's not a franchise goalie either. Solid, but nothing a contender should have.

Large goalies have their pros. and cons. like any other goalie. I wouldn't consider Sean Burke for having the best reflexes/5-hole/lateral movement.............yet, he's been a great goaltender, who would've probably had more success had he been on teams in Cup contention.

SedinFan*

Brule said:
Large goalies have their pros. and cons. like any other goalie. I wouldn't consider Sean Burke for having the best reflexes/5-hole/lateral movement.............yet, he's been a great goaltender, who would've probably had more success had he been on teams in Cup contention.

Exactly what I am saying.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Brule said:
Cloutier has excellent:
-reflexes
-recovery
-decent five-hole
-lateral movement

But we all know he's not a franchise goalie either. Solid, but nothing a contender should have.

Cloutier has poor positioning, small stature and he's mentally unready for the NHL. Just because Cloutier has flaws doesn't make Auld any better of a goalie.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
kmad said:
Cloutier has poor positioning, small stature and he's mentally unready for the NHL. Just because Cloutier has flaws doesn't make Auld any better of a goalie.

But what part of Auld's game has lead you to "giving up" on him? He's been great with the Canucks, so you can't have any justification there. His play with the Moose has improved every year. And he's also only 23 (younger than the age at which Clouts arrived in Vancouver). Saying he lacks flexibility, but having decent-good stats (on a not exactly defensive spectacular Moose team), kinda contradicts itself.

This is like saying: John Doe player is just all offense and is a defensive liability, but has a +/- of 15.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Kris Beech. I was once a staunch defender, but not now, I'm tired of defending him.

He has all the tools, but it would be nice if he could channel the energy he uses taking minor penalties mouthing off to the referees towards scoring goals and playing like the leader he's supposed to be. Idiot.

Other than Beech (who is considered graduated, anyway) the other is Vlad Malenkykh. He's not crossing the pond, IMO.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I still haven't given up on Beech.

He's a major longshot now, but there's still a chance he pans out.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Brule said:
But what part of Auld's game has lead you to "giving up" on him? He's been great with the Canucks, so you can't have any justification there. His play with the Moose has improved every year. And he's also only 23 (younger than the age at which Clouts arrived in Vancouver). Saying he lacks flexibility, but having decent-good stats (on a not exactly defensive spectacular Moose team), kinda contradicts itself.

This is like saying: John Doe player is just all offense and is a defensive liability, but has a +/- of 15.

This doesn't make sense. In what way does flexibility correlate with statistics?

The Moose are one of the best teams in the AHL. Auld has good offense and defense in front of him, as he did in Vancouver. The only reason Auld was able to win games in Vancouver is because he had their explosive offense in front of him.

I've got nothing against Auld, I'd very much like to see him become a Vezina winner, but I honestly don't think he'll amount to anything.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
kmad said:
Auld has terrible:
-reflexes
-recovery
-five-hole
-lateral movement

You can't have that many humongous weaknesses and be a franchise goalie.
Don't agree at all. Seems like you have seen Auld play MAYBE once or twice, and that is all. This kid has talent, and is gonna take a while to develop. I don't agree about the reflexes especially, he has amazing ones.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Alexei Mikhnov, pretty close on giving up on tractor boy

Eddie Caron former 2nd round pick in 2001, there still time for him to develop thou

as for Jani Rita, i'm still giving him a chance

if he was still around i would say Michael Henrich

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Igor Radulov!

2 years ago he amazes us with 5 goals, 6 points in 7 NHL games.
1 year ago he makes the squad only to be demoted after a month for lack of production. He then fails to impress in the AHL.
This year he gets 0 points in the AHL, gets demoted to the ECHL, refuses to report to play, citing he is too good for the ECHL.

This guy is seriously a disgrace with all the talent he has. Just another Ty Jones. Maybe a more skill focused team could pick him up and make him a good player. Can we get a 2nd for his services?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No one yet from Minnesota unless you call Hannula, Eckerblom, and Tyulyapkin. Well I'm hoping for Erickson...

OH Marcin Kolusz! UGH! Awful pick there...

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Vladimir Malenkykh, it dosen't look like he's gonna come and play in the North America. Its too bad cause he's just what we need down the road. I should point out that the talent is there. Its just that he wants a 1 way contract, and CP won't give him it.

I still have hope for the Jagr trade boys, Beech Luppy and Sivek.

Last edited:

Fleuryfan29

Apr 1, 2004
Barrie, Ontario
www.freewebs.com
I have given up on Colby Armstrong, Patrick Bartschi, Steve Crampton, Vladimir Malenkykh and Tomas Duba.
A lot of PENS fans have given up on Kris Beech and I do not know why? Last year in the Playoffs everyone was so hight on him and Kostopolous and we turn on him? Dosen't make sence.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I've given up on a couple of Flame second rounders. Brian McConnell and Andrei Medvedev. I don't see McConnell ever being more than an AHL grinder, and I'm really doubting that Medvedev is ever going to cross the pond, he's still fairly young, but I don't see Sutter putting up with him at all if he shows up and is really heavy, which is quite likely.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Fleuryfan29 said:
I have given up on Colby Armstrong, Patrick Bartschi, Steve Crampton, Vladimir Malenkykh and Tomas Duba.
A lot of PENS fans have given up on Kris Beech and I do not know why? Last year in the Playoffs everyone was so hight on him and Kostopolous and we turn on him? Dosen't make sence.

Armstrong game is just starting to come around. He and Abid, Endicott and Ouellet have lead the pens this season. If there was a season, I feel he could step in and play a roll on our fourth line and work his way up to maybe the 3rd line come next season. As for Duba and Bartschi there still young, I'm not sure how old they are though.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I hav't given up on any Red Wing prospects yet, but the clock is ticking for Tomas Kopecky, by next year if he does't do anything major I will give up on him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fleuryfan29 said:
WTF? Bartschi is only 20.

I don't see how you can give up on Duba and Armstrong but not Beech.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I've all but given up on Mikhnov for Edmonton. He had a great start to the season last year and was starting to put the puck in the net but he's stuck on a terrible team and has done seemingly nothing so far this year. Jani Rita is one guy that I still have high hopes for... he's having a great year over in Europe and I still think he can be an effective NHL player.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
kmad said:
This doesn't make sense. In what way does flexibility correlate with statistics?

The Moose are one of the best teams in the AHL. Auld has good offense and defense in front of him, as he did in Vancouver. The only reason Auld was able to win games in Vancouver is because he had their explosive offense in front of him.

I've got nothing against Auld, I'd very much like to see him become a Vezina winner, but I honestly don't think he'll amount to anything.

Vancouver's defensive play actually isn't that spectacular. Out of the 16 teams that qualifies for playoffs last season, only 5 teams had more Goals Against. And Manitoba's defensive play isn't that "elite" either. The two teams rely on heavy firepower. As a result, none of the goalies related to the Moose/Canucks have an easy job.

And while 14 games isn't nearly enough to tag a player "ready" for any league, posting averages of around 2.00 gaa and over 0.930 SV% at least shows signs that he has the stuff to become a solid #1 goalie in the NHL. Especially considering that Cloutier isn't even in the top 15 of SV% and GAA year in year out, and is still considered a #1 goaltender in the NHL, Auld certainly isn't a "disappointment" as a prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad