Prospect Thread XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Thinking back to that last game, Zalewski was actually very impressive. He wasn't very noticeable but he made the right move 90% of the time. He easily could have had 3 assists :laugh:

I think he was a bit nervous about playing the body though, but that might come, or maybe it won't, but he seems to have his head in the right place.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Thinking back to that last game, Zalewski was actually very impressive. He wasn't very noticeable but he made the right move 90% of the time. He easily could have had 3 assists :laugh:

I think he was a bit nervous about playing the body though, but that might come, or maybe it won't, but he seems to have his head in the right place.

Yeah he could have had 2 assists or more against the Flames playing with Kesler. Obviously small sample size but I thought he looked decent. I would like to see how he does in the AHL, it's just too bad he couldn't be sent to the Comets after the season ended.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Some words from Erie's coach on Gaunce & Fox:

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 1m

Torts said ystday the #Canucks need to get younger - Knoblauch says Gaunce and Fox will play in the NHL - not immediately but someday.

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 1m

Knoblauch says Guance is a big body, dependable and the coach doesn't see skating an issue with Guance - not even at next level.

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 44s

Knoblauch says Fox has been great in playoffs where checking is tighter and he gets more attention because he is high scorer.

Wetcoaster

Love it. Except the part about them going 1 for 3 on spelling Gaunce right.
At least it was not spelled "Guano"

Guano (via Spanish, ultimately from the Quechua wanu) is the excrement of seabirds, cave-dwelling bats, pinnipeds, or (in English usage) birds more generally.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
At least it was not spelled "Guano"

Guano (via Spanish, ultimately from the Quechua wanu) is the excrement of seabirds, cave-dwelling bats, pinnipeds, or (in English usage) birds more generally.

:laugh: I was trying to convince my wife to let me build a bat house on the side of our house. Pro tip: All the guano you could ever want is not a selling point.

greasy goals

Mar 7, 2014
:laugh: I was trying to convince my wife to let me build a bat house on the side of our house. Pro tip: All the guano you could ever want is not a selling point.

You got it all wrong man.

Even if you don't like bats, bat guano is a valuable resource, at least for gardeners. Bat guano is an organic fertilizer that has been harvested for hundreds of years to improve plant growth and soil structure. Though bat guano can be expensive, its long-lasting positive effects deliver a healthy investment.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/benefits-bat-guano-fertilizer-71115.html

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Got a good take on Liberati from one of the North Bay fans. Much more positive than I was expecting:

"Liberati has been a nice addition to the team since coming over from London. He provides good stability on the back end and is a better puck mover than the other D men. He has shown a lot of improvement on positioning and making good defensive reads. Is good with the first pass out of the zone and does not turn the puck over. He is not overly physical in terms of big hits but wins most puck battles in the corners and his skating ability allows him to escape the forecheck pressure. Frequently jumps into the rush and is comfortable with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone. Does not have a 'big' shot from the point but shoots wristers through traffic quite a bit.

His role has been a bit more limited than you might expect. He is usually paired with either of the 2 rookies in Riley Bruce and Kyle Locke so this may be a reason for lesser ice time. Butler likes to play his top pairing Blujus/McGivor a ton. He has been used sparingly on the penalty kill and has been on the 2nd PP unit most of the season and has recently been moved to the 1st unit across from Dylan Blujus on the point. North Bay's PP wasn't very effective in the Barrie series (4 for 25 in the series-16%). They had trouble setting up and sustaining pressure.

If he continues to get opportunities and progresses the Canucks should be happy they got a steal with a late pick."

Canucksfansince1989

Dec 22, 2013
I've only see Liberati a couple of times on Sportsnet, but I must say that the one thing that jumped out at me was his skating. He's an absolutely fantastic skater. He may never develop any offensive upside, but he may not have to. Just look at a guy like Bret Hedican and the career he had just because of his pure skating ability.

Mutagenesis

Nucks/Isles
Jul 21, 2013
Representin' the ABQ
I've only see Liberati a couple of times on Sportsnet, but I must say that the one thing that jumped out at me was his skating. He's an absolutely fantastic skater. He may never develop any offensive upside, but he may not have to. Just look at a guy like Bret Hedican and the career he had just because of his pure skating ability.

Yeah but even Hedican was over PPG in his last NCAA year (48 pts in 41 games)...I'd be surprised if Liberati even makes it as a 7th NHL dman tbh.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Go big or go home (oh wait you are home)

http://www.batcon.org/index.php/media-and-info/bats-archives.html?task=viewArticle&magArticleID=397

For her: Mosquito reduction = more outdoor entertaining options!

For you: The guano harvest from the Mitchell's Lake roost in 1921 was 4,558 pounds, two tons of dry, ready-to-use bat guano with almost double the nitrogen content than cave guano, an amount repeated year after year. At its peak, Campbell estimated that the Mitchell's Lake roost contained over a quarter of a million bats.

Doesn't always work, you need the right circumstances

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...pest-control-and-cross-species-design/265465/

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Go big or go home (oh wait you are home)

http://www.batcon.org/index.php/media-and-info/bats-archives.html?task=viewArticle&magArticleID=397

For her: Mosquito reduction = more outdoor entertaining options!

For you: The guano harvest from the Mitchell's Lake roost in 1921 was 4,558 pounds, two tons of dry, ready-to-use bat guano with almost double the nitrogen content than cave guano, an amount repeated year after year. At its peak, Campbell estimated that the Mitchell's Lake roost contained over a quarter of a million bats.

Doesn't always work, you need the right circumstances

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...pest-control-and-cross-species-design/265465/

I feel this thread took a turn...

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Sorry, I think I started that :(

How awesome would it be to have bats though!? The mosquito hunting is why I wanted some in the first place :)

Bats!

Last May I went deep into a gigantic bat cave on the island of Borneo, with guano ten feet deep on the floor being consumed by millions of cockroaches, who were in turn being eaten by these ghastly cave centipedes. The ancient boardwalk was slippery, and its one handrail was alive with roaches. The air was foul. Unbelievably, I found a guard sleeping on a the ground at the back of the cave. On the walls were the nests of the bird's nest soup swiftlets; the cave is famous for its rich annual harvest of these.

As for recent scoring-potential forward prospects / young players, we've got four centres (Horvat, Gaunce, Fox, and Cassels), two RW (Kassian, Jensen), and two LW (Shinkaruk, Kenins), not counting centres like Fox who could move over to wing, and also not counting any of the players (like Archibald, Lain, Grenier etc.) who ended the year in Utica or are still in the NCAA (LaBate).

On the whole, in this mix I see: decent size, grit, smarts, and two-way play. But also on the whole the group is a bit on the slower side, and light on pure creativity and goal-scoring. Also there are only two RHS among the eight prospects listed.

All other things being equal, a Nylander or a Virtanen would look good if added to this mix, although an Ehlers or a Ritchie would be OK as well.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Let's assume the Canucks took Ritchie at 6, and had acquired Ottawa's 1st from Anaheim. Who would your ideal be at #10, since as I understand things, the players in that range are all fairly evenly ranked. Do they go with the most skilled piece? Or do they go for Fleury if he's available?

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Let's assume the Canucks took Ritchie at 6, and had acquired Ottawa's 1st from Anaheim. Who would your ideal be at #10, since as I understand things, the players in that range are all fairly evenly ranked. Do they go with the most skilled piece? Or do they go for Fleury if he's available?

I'd pick Nylander if he was still there. From McKenzie's new rankings, it seems he's getting overlooked a bit due to playing overseas but the thing about Nylander is that he can come over right away and play in the AHL since he's already playing pro.

With his skill-set and the chance to fast-forward his development a bit in Utica would be a deal-breaker for me. We could have Nylander, Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk all going to Utica next year. :nod:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

If the Canucks took Ritchie at 6 and traded for 10 as well i'd look at:

- Nylander
- Virtanen
- Fabbri

and maybe Barbashev.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I've come around to the idea of Nylander at 6, so getting him at 10 would be awesome.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I've come around to the idea of Nylander at 6, so getting him at 10 would be awesome.

It's certainly possible. Ehlers will definitely go 7-10, so will Virtanen.

So:

Van, 6: Ritchie
Car, 7: Kapanen or Virtanen or Fluery
Tor, 8: Ehlers or Virtanen or Nylander/Kapanen
Win, 9: Ehelers or Virtanen or Nylander/Kapanen
10: ???

Carolina is a weird one because they need D but have close ties with Sami Kapanen. I really can't see them taking Ehlers...

The Leafs fans would certainly take Ehlers... Most votes going to Nylander though...

Jets fans aren't talking much about draft... only real mentions are of Virtanen and not wanting Fluery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad