Prospect Thread XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Am I the only one who didn't know Erie was in Pennsylvania?

and I thought Americans were bad at geography :sarcasm:

I have seen that a lot from the western CHL followers. Understandable.

but hey, we are the 4th biggest city in Pennsylvania!

Well I did live there for five years, so maybe. I actually started playing hockey there, I am from Vancouver, but when I was young my dad took a job there.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
yes, his quickness and battle level is concerning. he seems to do a lot of coasting for a "200 foot" player and his offense is nothing specially. all the same problems I saw with him at the WJC. maybe he's still injured..? I hope this isn't a healthy Horvat I'm watching.

So you haven't been watching the games...

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Also, Portland draws Kelowna as its next round opponent. Looks like Cederholm will be trying to crush all of BC's Mem Cup hopes this season.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
PoolChamp with more preconceived misconceptions. he's been greasing that angle for months. you don't see him around when Horvat was doing well but as soon as his team gets eliminated he pounces.

It's an easy way to live. If a guy doesn't turn out you can be happy and say I told you so.

If he does you can be happy because you were wrong and your team has a good young player.

arsmaster*

Was only able to catch game 1, 4, and 5 of the knights series and just like everyone suspected their defense was their downfall.

Austin and Bell out.

Horvat playing the point on the pp.

Everything would have had to go perfect for them to get by teams like Guelph and Erie. Maybe the rest will help them in the memorial cup.

Question to the haters: What qualities should a forward who gets asked to play the point on the PP possess?

Seems to me getting asked to play the point probably speaks to vision, skill, awareness. Doesn't sound to me like they'd be asking a guy who isn't skilled to play back there especially ahead of the kid named Domi.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Question to the haters: What qualities should a forward who gets asked to play the point on the PP possess?

Seems to me getting asked to play the point probably speaks to vision, skill, awareness. Doesn't sound to me like they'd be asking a guy who isn't skilled to play back there especially ahead of the kid named Domi.

Depends who the coach is I guess. Byron Ritchie was asked to play the point on the PP.

Did Horvat look better than he did at the WJC's?

arsmaster*

Depends who the coach is I guess. Byron Ritchie was asked to play the point on the PP.

Did Horvat look better than he did at the WJC's?

He had the puck more in this playoff series. Got quite a few shots on goal. No puck luck.

Looked good to me, when he played with the Ruperts he got more out of them, I found when Tierney switched to play with the Rupert's the line struggled.

I'm hoping he gets 9 games, but gets sent back next year. No point rushing him. Don't have any concerns with his skating, and his physical play and board work is elite for his age. I know what stands out to posters like pool champ, that question his skating....it's the fact that Horvat is comfortable in his positioning that he doesn't feel he needs to beat his own defensman back to his own zone. His smarts stick out big time. Never in a hurry. Always in the right spot.

London just didn't have the team to come out of the OHL this year. No point in ragging Bo because his team was outmatched by Guelph, who are incredibly deep at both forward and defense.

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
I think BO should stay in London for another year,just like Strome or Scheifele.Let him grow slowly.

Wetcoaster

I think BO should stay in London for another year,just like Strome or Scheifele.Let him grow slowly.
It all depends upon how Horvat shows in training camp, the pre-season and the first few games of the season.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
I know what stands out to posters like pool champ, that question his skating....it's the fact that Horvat is comfortable in his positioning that he doesn't feel he needs to beat his own defensman back to his own zone. His smarts stick out big time. Never in a hurry. Always in the right spot.

Exactly. Very few seem to understand that when they criticize the pace he plays at.

I also never had any issue with his skating. In fact, in Bob McKenzie's final rankings he called Horvat "A very good skater with good quickness, agility and balance."

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
What a bust. Shoulda drafted the Russian :sarcasm:

shoulda coulda, hindsight is always 20/20. It was a long term decision which is refreshing because too many short cuts have been taken over the years.

Horvat will pay off and I predict he makes the team next year. Most younger players don't make the cut because they aren't defensively aware enough, Horvat is the opposite. He is defence is his strength and the offence will only get better.

People, including myself need to stop wasting time on the what if factor. Focus on the what is.

Wetcoaster

shoulda coulda, hindsight is always 20/20. It was a long term decision which is refreshing because too many short cuts have been taken over the years.

Horvat will pay off and I predict he makes the team next year. Most younger players don't make the cut because they aren't defensively aware enough, Horvat is the opposite. He is defence is his strength and the offence will only get better.

People, including myself need to stop wasting time on the what if factor. Focus on the what is.
It seems you missed this... :sarcasm:

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Any of you guys keep a close eye on Zalewski? Looked a pretty good skater out there. Doubt he had enough time to get a real read on though.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
It all depends upon how Horvat shows in training camp, the pre-season and the first few games of the season.

Agree. I think it sends a bad message when a player outplays the incumbents and clearly in the eyes of most observers "makes" the team but is sent down or returned to junior.

Established veterans get a lot of leeway in training camp and pre-season, but it's a good thing to have push from below and roster spots have to be earned. If Horvat (or any of the young players) has a really good showing in rookie camp, training camp and the pre-season and earns a roster spot, it should at the very least get him a 9 game look. Obviously roster space, injuries, waivers, contracts, etc. come into play as well, but no one should think their spot is automatic.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Agree. I think it sends a bad message when a player outplays the incumbents and clearly in the eyes of most observers "makes" the team but is sent down or returned to junior.

Established veterans get a lot of leeway in training camp and pre-season, but it's a good thing to have push from below and roster spots have to be earned. If Horvat (or any of the young players) has a really good showing in rookie camp, training camp and the pre-season and earns a roster spot, it should at the very least get him a 9 game look. Obviously roster space, injuries, waivers, contracts, etc. come into play as well, but no one should think their spot is automatic.

One thing I think Gillis did well this year was to have spots open for prospects on the roster if the prospects proved themselves, since either a roster takes the spot, or you get a trade for another (Dalpe) or a waiver pick up (Stanton). Lots of decent prospects get exposed to waivers at the start of the year, and it's a good way to get some good young players.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Liberati and North Bay knock off Ekblad and Barrie to move onto the next round:

OHL:
Erie Otters: (4-0 Series win)
Player​
|
Tonight​
|
Playoffs​

Gaunce|Series Over|9GP 5G 9A 14P +8 8PIM
Fox|Series Over|9GP 7G 9A 16P +7 12PIM

London Knights: (1-4 Series loss)
Player​
|
Tonight​
|
Playoffs​

Horvat|Eliminated|9GP 5G 6A 11P +0 4PIM

North Bay Battalion: 3-2W (4-2 Series win)
Player​
|
Tonight​
|
Playoffs​

Liberati|0G 0A +0 4PIM|13GP 0G 1A 1P +0 12PIM

Oshawa Generals: (4-0 Series win)
Player​
|
Tonight​
|
Playoffs​

Cassels|Series Over|8GP 6G 7A 13P +4 8PIM

Kingston Frontenacs:
Player​
|
Tonight​
|
Playoffs​

McEneny|Eliminated R1|7GP 1G 1A 2P +1 6PIM

WHL:
Portland Winterhawks: (4-1 Series win)
Player​
|
Tonight​
|
Playoffs​

Cederholm|Series Over|9GP 1G 1A 2P +4 6PIM

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Next round is Erie (Fox, Gaunce) vs Guelph, North Bay (Liberati) vs Oshawa (Cassels), and Portland (Cederholm) vs Kelowna.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Erie vs Guelph should be a good one. Two very dangerous rosters. Hopefully Gaunce and Fox can keep rolling.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
One thing I think Gillis did well this year was to have spots open for prospects on the roster if the prospects proved themselves, since either a roster takes the spot, or you get a trade for another (Dalpe) or a waiver pick up (Stanton). Lots of decent prospects get exposed to waivers at the start of the year, and it's a good way to get some good young players.

Yes, I thought it was crafty to have a couple of place-warming AHLers (I'm looking at Dalpe, Schroeder) filling time on the bench/press box on the odd chance our prospects suddenly became NHL-worthy... How could we let him go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad