Prospect Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
To be fair our entire core was drafted/developed under a different administration. Gillis has certainly not drafted any "tremendous" talent, and Corrado was sent back to Utica after proving he could play with the big club last year and Jensen is far from the model prospect with his current AHL play.

I'm not saying that these decisions are bad or Gillis' fault in any way, but we certainly don't have a track record as a "good" development team under Gillis imo. Yet, at least.

Tremendous may have been hyperbole on my part and don't care enough to defend that statement but I disagree that the way Corrado and Jensen have been handled thus far indicate poor treatment of young players. Jensen felt that he would have been better suited preparing for pro hockey by playing pro hockey and the organization agreed so they supported his decision to go professional in Sweden. Although the decision has yet to bear fruit, they still supported a young player when he decided to go against the norm to do what he felt would be best for his development. With Corrado, he's following the Tanev model. Rather than be stuck as the #6 or 7 defenseman in the big leagues, he's playing huge minutes in every situation in Utica to better prepare for a bigger role with the Canucks in the near future.

While the organization may not be great at development (or arguably even good), they're not terrible, which is what Bo's billet seems to be insinuating.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Tremendous may have been hyperbole on my part and don't care enough to defend that statement but I disagree that the way Corrado and Jensen have been handled thus far indicate poor treatment of young players. Jensen felt that he would have been better suited preparing for pro hockey by playing pro hockey and the organization agreed so they supported his decision to go professional in Sweden. Although the decision has yet to bear fruit, they still supported a young player when he decided to go against the norm to do what he felt would be best for his development. With Corrado, he's following the Tanev model. Rather than be stuck as the #6 or 7 defenseman in the big leagues, he's playing huge minutes in every situation in Utica to better prepare for a bigger role with the Canucks in the near future.

While the organization may not be great at development (or arguably even good), they're not terrible, which is what Bo's billet seems to be insinuating.

I agree, I'm not saying there is anything inherently bad with our player development, just that there is not yet anything we can really point to as a counterexample. There are examples of players that could be construed as having been mishandled under Gillis (Hodgson, Grabner) but not yet any one player that turned out well as a result of our player development under Gillis. Hopefully that will change very soon though.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I agree, I'm not saying there is anything inherently bad with our player development, just that there is not yet anything we can really point to as a counterexample. There are examples of players that could be construed as having been mishandled under Gillis (Hodgson, Grabner) but not yet any one player that turned out well as a result of our player development under Gillis. Hopefully that will change very soon though.

Ah, I see. Sorry, it's getting late. I misinterpreted your post. :laugh:

Yeah, there certainly hasn't been enough talent developed by our organization in recent years but hopefully that changes soon, as you said. :nod:

Nov 1, 2011
Different GM, different era, but RJ Umberger.

And Grabner...and to a certain extent Schneider.

So we have impact 1st rounders since 2000 that were traded before or right when they were becoming impact NHLers: Umberger, Grabner, Hodgson, and Schneider...impact 1st rounders since 2000 kept: Kesler.

Buffalo In A Carwash

Registered User?
Apr 10, 2012
Quesnel
Here's a cool stat - Jordan Subban has more points then the rest of the Belleville d-men combined!

Jordan: 16 points in 20 games - 2 goals and 14 assists.
All other D-men: 12 points in a combined 95 games. 1 goal and 11 assists.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
And Grabner...and to a certain extent Schneider.

So we have impact 1st rounders since 2000 that were traded before or right when they were becoming impact NHLers: Umberger, Grabner, Hodgson, and Schneider...impact 1st rounders since 2000 kept: Kesler.

Schneider and Grabner situations are different though. They weren't ever "mishandled" like Hodgson apparently was. Schneider had to be traded because of the Luongo contract. Grabner was packaged for Ballard, who was a solid defender at the time. Just didn't work out for us unfortunately.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Schneider and Grabner situations are different though. They weren't ever "mishandled" like Hodgson apparently was. Schneider had to be traded because of the Luongo contract. Grabner was packaged for Ballard, who was a solid defender at the time. Just didn't work out for us unfortunately.

The implication being that the Hodgson problem was a "mishandling", whereas I see it as Hodgson being more trouble than he was worth. He apparently wanted to be fast tracked to superstardom and that didn't fit into the plans. He was always going to be more concerned about putting up points rather than defense, and didn't want to be a 3C behind Hank and Kes.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Meh different opinions. I have a friend who has season tickets to the knights and he thinks Bo's one of the best all around players to ever suit up for them, so we'll see how he develops.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
"Needs to get tougher and run some goalies"...It sounds like he has Don Cherry for a Billet...
With our bad rep with the refs,the last thing we need is that...we need him playing,not suspended.
I'm really not sure how the guy came up with the theory that Bo might be getting traded at the deadline...when was the last time we traded a top prospect at the trade deadline? Kcon is the only somewhat decent prospect I can recall and he was'nt looking like a part of the future anyways.CoHo was traded for another prospect which was a hockey trade and not a trade for a rental for the playoffs.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
The thing is horvat knows skating his the main thing he needs to work on. He's said it in countless interviews since before the draft and after getting sent back down from camp.

Lots of knights fans have already commented on some improvement in that department and it's not like he has an abnormal looking stride.

The kid is 18, so much time for him to work on his skating. It's only going to improve from this point out and for me it wasn't even an issue during his preseason stint up here.

Unlike Hodgson, he doesn't have an abnormal physical build. His legs are not short and stumpy and his stride looks normal to me.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
Here's a cool stat - Jordan Subban has more points then the rest of the Belleville d-men combined!

Jordan: 16 points in 20 games - 2 goals and 14 assists.
All other D-men: 12 points in a combined 95 games. 1 goal and 11 assists.

Does Belville go with 4 forwards and 1 d on PP? That stats insane lol

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Went to the Giants game last night to see Hunter.

Kid didn't impress me at all. If you didn't know who he was or that he was a 1st round pick, you wouldn't have said he stood out in anyway.

Played way to passive and along the perimeter for the first 2 periods. Not involved in the play at all.

Finally in the 3rd he tried to show a bit more jump and involvement. Showed a 1-2 nice flashes but that was it.

Most active he was all night was getting beat down by Thrower after the game was over.

I know he's just coming back from injury so I'll give him a slight pass but he really needs to step up.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if Hunter came back to early from his injury just so he doesn't miss the cut for the juniors team. He may still miss it as he hasn't lit it up post injury.

arsmaster*

Clearly didn't get the memo that Canucks are spot pickers. Thrower might be the best fighter in the dub.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Also, how does that guy know Shinkaruk is more ready lol. He's probably never seen him play. Typical Ontario syndrome I guess.

Or....maybe he does know somehow. You can't just assume someone you don't even know doesn't know what he's talking about. :laugh:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Went to the Giants game last night to see Hunter.

Kid didn't impress me at all. If you didn't know who he was or that he was a 1st round pick, you wouldn't have said he stood out in anyway.

Played way to passive and along the perimeter for the first 2 periods. Not involved in the play at all.

Finally in the 3rd he tried to show a bit more jump and involvement. Showed a 1-2 nice flashes but that was it.

Most active he was all night was getting beat down by Thrower after the game was over.

I know he's just coming back from injury so I'll give him a slight pass but he really needs to step up.

So someone who actually went and watched Shinkaruk play pretty much confirmed what some of us were saying: that he hasn't been good enough. Thanks Reds81.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
11/15/13

OHL:

London 4 Kingston 2
-Bo Horvat - 1 assist, 2 PIMS, +1
-Miles Liberati - 0 points, Even

Ottawa 2 Oshawa 3 OT
-Cole Cassels - 0 points, 4 PIMS, Even

Owen Sound 1 - Kitchener 2
-Evan McEneny - 1 assist, +1

WHL:

Medicine Hat 2 Vancouver 3
-Hunter Shinkaruk - 0 points, 5 PIMS (fighting major), Even

Portland 2 Everett 3
-0 points, Even

NCAA:

Wisconsin 0 Miami 2
-Joseph LaBate - 0 points, 2 shots, -1

Boston U. 0 Maine 7
-Ben Hutton - 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 shots, +2

UMass Lowell 3 Penn State 2
-Mike Williamson - 0 points, 2 PIMS, -1

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Hutton intrigues me as a prospect would definitely like to hear some more insight on him

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Hutton intrigues me as a prospect would definitely like to hear some more insight on him

Every time I've seen him play he reminds me of Edler, but he's sound in his own end. Big body, good shot, can play physical but prefers to stay in position mostly

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Bulls vs. Knights in around 45 minutes.

Horvat will most likely be seeing Gaunce a lot this game; they're both on the top line of their respective teams. Domi is on the second line...wonder why...

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Bulls vs. Knights in around 45 minutes.

Horvat will most likely be seeing Gaunce a lot this game; they're both on the top line of their respective teams. Domi is on the second line...wonder why...

so they going to shut down each other lines?

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
so they going to shut down each other lines?

no points for both then..:p:

been a fan of him ever since Canucks drafted him....Wish he'd get more hype and better access to his games since all i can do right now is read game and scoutint reports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad