Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I guess technically this counts as a prospect update, since Mikko is still under control, right? Anyway, how about this KHL finals matchup:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
There hasn't been any updates, but I'd be shocked if signed him. Absolutely shocked.

Hopefully if we don't sign him we can at least trade him for a late round pick. I have to think Russo has more value then Graham

I believe if we don't sign him by may 31 he becomes a UFA, the fact he hasn't yet tells me that either the Islanders don't want to sign him or he wants to be a UFA

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Kyle Burroughs just signed, per Isles website. Definitely a quality 7th round pick.

Wow, great news.

I heard rumors from my BC connections that the Isles weren't willing to meet his price tag (whatever that may have been).

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Still going to be a Logjam in Bridgeport next year: Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield, Burroughs, Pelech, Graham, Leduc and possibly Czuchman. Of course maybe Pulock and Reinhart could be on the big club.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Still going to be a Logjam in Bridgeport next year: Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield, Burroughs, Pelech, Graham, Leduc and possibly Czuchman. Of course maybe Pulock and Reinhart could be on the big club.

I would almost guarantee that one of Reinhart/Pulock will be with the Islanders, probably Pulock. Still a lot of bodies, yes, and likely going to be a reason that Russo is not signed, as PW mentioned.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I would almost guarantee that one of Reinhart/Pulock will be with the Islanders, probably Pulock. Still a lot of bodies, yes, and likely going to be a reason that Russo is not signed, as PW mentioned.

Agreed about Pulock and probably Reinhart too. We have a major logjam at the Bridge if one/both are not in the NHL next year.

Snow has had a full year to evaluate the defense and it's clear that there are some holes. Depth is a great thing, but it's probably time that the high end kids are integrated into the NHL club and the dead weight is finally punted.

Leddy, Boychuk, Hamonic, and de Haan (as long as Capuano doesn't keep screwing around with him) are signed long term and the likeliest top-4 next year.

Visnovsky is likely gone, Donovan is gone, Strait needs to be traded/waived/sent to Siberia, and Hickey will likely be back for one more year.

Leddy-Boychuk
CdH-Hamonic
Reinhart-Pulock
Hickey/Mayfield/Pelech

That's 9 deep. While inexperienced, it's the most talented defense that we've had in at least 20 years. The key is that Strait is GONE and I don't care how Snow accomplishes that.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Maybe we trade someone as part of a package for an upgrade?

Grabner+d prospect+ for a veteran defensman for the bottom pair of other areas of need.

I can't see Grabner on this team next year. Even if it's for a pick in the draft I think he's gone.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
We're not really losing anyone important this offseason. I have no problem opening the season with 2 rookies on our 3rd pairing. Let them have the full year with the big boys.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Always like when prospects who have a chance to play in the NHL are signed and Burroughs earned it. Nothing fancy to his game, he does a lot of things well. He's about 6' 0" 200-205 pounds now so while not tall he is built strong. Not worried about a log jam a Bridgeport, the good problem to have.

Thursday
NCAA Frozen Four Semi Final, ESPN-2, 8:30.
Boston University (Somerby) vs North Dakota.

Friday, CHL Playoffs, Second Round, all are Game 1
QMJHL
Charlottetown (Johnston) vs Quebec
OHL
Niagara (Ho-Sang) vs Oshawa (Dal Colle)
WHL
Calgary vs Medicine Hat (Borroughs)

F127

Feb 10, 2007
Always like when prospects who have a chance to play in the NHL are signed and Burroughs earned it. Nothing fancy to his game, he does a lot of things well. He's about 6' 0" 200-205 pounds now so while not tall he is built strong. Not worried about a log jam a Bridgeport, the good problem to have.

Thursday
NCAA Frozen Four Semi Final, ESPN-2, 8:30.
Boston University (Somerby) vs North Dakota.

Friday, CHL Playoffs, Second Round, all are Game 1
QMJHL
Charlottetown (Johnston) vs Quebec
OHL
Niagara (Ho-Sang) vs Oshawa (Dal Colle)
WHL
Calgary vs Medicine Hat (Borroughs)

I agree, the cream will rise to the top.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Don't even know if there's a logjam...

Doesn't look like Czuczman is part of the plan in any real way.

Also, don't believe Graham and Leduc have yet to show whether they're really even AHL material.

There are definitely spots to be had.

In addition, that BPort team could REALLY use an experienced AHL blueliner with leadership qualities. Maybe an older guy who has also had some good years in Europe.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Don't even know if there's a logjam...

Doesn't look like Czuczman is part of the plan in any real way.

Also, don't believe Graham and Leduc have yet to show whether they're really even AHL material.

There are definitely spots to be had.

In addition, that BPort team could REALLY use an experienced AHL blueliner with leadership qualities. Maybe an older guy who has also had some good years in Europe.

Agreed. In the BST games I have attended, Graham was usually a train wreck on the ice - even bringing down his partner. Poor decision making and terrible instincts. He will need to work hard and come a long way in a short time to carve out a prominent role next season.

Church might also be gone if they opt to bring in a young, vet upgrade (ideally better than Lashoff). Of course if such a player is added, specifically to add a physical element, I would ship Ness out first and keep Church around for depth for one more year. Although they did screw around with Church, so I am not sure what is/was happening behind the scenes.

Leduc is probably a long-term, developmental prospect who should be eased in and not relied on for the top-6 next season. Give him lots of practice time and coach him up with limited minutes in some spot starts while scratched otherwise.

Ultimately, assuming one of Pulock/Reinhart makes the Isles, I believe the numbers are very manageable. Especially if the Isles can get Brian "Norris Trophy" Strait off the roster. He simply must go.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
It's time to bring up Ryan Pulock, shelter him, and let him loose on the PP. It's friggin' time.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'd have no problem with scratching Hickey and putting him or Reinhart in that spot asap.

Hickey is a liability and it's only going to get worse in the playoffs. I know he was a rookie during the lockout year, but he was sent to the press box after game 1 against the Pens.

I have ZERO reservation of sitting him in favor of one of Reinhart/Pulock if need be. Unfortunately, Strait will replace him if he does get sat again in the playoffs.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Pulock and Reinhart are not ready for the NHL and before anyone asks, Strait and Hickey are unfortunately better options. We don't need rookie growing pains going into the playoffs.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Pulock and Reinhart are not ready for the NHL and before anyone asks, Strait and Hickey are unfortunately better options. We don't need rookie growing pains going into the playoffs.

Your looking to catch lightning in a bottle with one of those two guys since Hickey will have major issues in his own zone. Can't have that in the playoffs.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Your looking to catch lightning in a bottle with one of those two guys since Hickey will have major issues in his own zone. Can't have that in the playoffs.

You're going to have the same problems with either Reinhart and/or Pulock along with other rookie mistakes. I'd say to for it if we brought them up a month or two ago but there's no way I'd take a shot now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad