Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Oshawa moves on and Niagara takes a lead in the series. Do they play each other in the next round if Niagara advances?

Nothing announced from the OHL yet, in the Eastern Conference the top three seeds Oshawa, Barrie and North Bay have won their series. Ottawa-Niagara is the 4 vs 5 series and play game 6 Sunday at 2:00.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
April 4
WHL
Medicine Hat 4, Red Deer 3-Burroughs, 1 assist, + 2. Medicine Hat wins series 4-1.

Sunday, OHL
Ottawa at Niagara, 2:00. Niagara leads series 3-2. Winner of this series plays Oshawa.

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
April 5
OHL Playoffs
Niagara 4, Ottawa 3-JHS, 2 assists, even. Niagara wins series 4-2.
Niagara vs Oshawa begins in Oshawa, Friday.

Monday
QMJHL
Charlottetown at Sherbrooke, game 6, Charlottetown leads series 3-2.

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
April 5
OHL Playoffs
Niagara 4, Ottawa 3-JHS, 2 assists, even. Niagara wins series 4-2.
Niagara vs Oshawa begins in Oshawa, likely on Friday.

Monday
QMJHL
Charlottetown at Sherbrooke, game 6, Charlottetown leads series 3-2.

Nice, congrats to Niagara for advancing. Weren't they pretty much dead in the water when they acquired JHS? He seems to be the lynchpin to the Ice Dog's resurgence this season. Great situation being with Williamson who has a good history with Strome and the Isles in general.

With that said, I think they get smoked by Oshawa in the next round. MDC vs. JHS, the Clash of the Isles' OHL Titans!!! :)

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Nice, congrats to Niagara for advancing. Weren't they pretty much dead in the water when they acquired JHS? He seems to be the lynchpin to the Ice Dog's resurgence this season. Great situation being with Williamson who has a good history with Strome and the Isles in general.

With that said, I think they get smoked by Oshawa in the next round. MDC vs. JHS, the Clash of the Isles' OHL Titans!!! :)

Early in the season before JHS went to Niagara, Perlini was hurt and before getting goalie Brandon Hope in a trade Niagara lost 13 of their first 15 games. Expecting Oshawa to win, just would like to see JHS play well. Still have that good and bad with JHS, overall for the most part good today as the game's third star, with Niagara up 4-2 in the third-the bad showed up, turnover lead to third Ottawa goal.

Last edited:

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie

I expect Oshawa to win, but I definitely don't believe it will be easy and wouldn't even be surprised if Niagara pulls off the upset. Its all irrelevant though, because Go Hounds Go ;)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I expect Oshawa to win, but I definitely don't believe it will be easy and wouldn't even be surprised if Niagara pulls off the upset. Its all irrelevant though, because Go Hounds Go ;)

Haha, I'm not a huge CHL fan like you are... I just care about our prospects.

Seems to me that Oshawa and the Greyhounds are on a collision course for the OHL Finals. Should be a really fun series to watch assuming things go according to plan.

Maybe the Isles will draft some players from SSM in the future so you'll have double motivation to root for them. We'll be counting on you for detailed scouting reports. Is there anyone you project as a 1st rounder for 2016 that could be available in the mid to late 20's? Preferably a power forward who actually plays like a power forward who doesn't have hands of stone.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Battle of the brothers!!! I wish every game was televised.

I want Oshawa to advance because I think they have a better chance at winning past this round. That being said, I just hope both Dal Colle and Ho-Sang show up big and stay healthy.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
That was such a fun thing to watch. Big Griff was a ROCK!!!! I don't see anyone beating the Soo but hopefully we have the same thing this year with Oshawa.

It was 90, Griff shutting the top scorers down, being voted playoff MVP and Edmonton winning the WHL title in Portland then the Memorial Cup.

In the OHL western conference final could have Sault Ste. Marie playing Erie which should be a great series even before we get to the finals. Hope that NHL Network puts some of the games on.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i went to the Ice Dogs game today, and had mixed emotions about Ho-Sang. this was my first time there, so obviously my observations are to be taken lightly.

as everyone knows, he is an excellent skater. i found that when he got the puck on his stick, there was a buzz in the crowd, and people were saying things like, "here we go!", and "go for a skate!". it seems that he can get people out of their seats, simply by touching the puck. extremely tricky skater, excellent lateral movement. reads the play well, and seems to predict with aplomb, openings in the defensive wall. has great initial burst of speed, but didn't see any blazing, top end speed. definitely has a nose for the net, and seems to really buzz around it, albeit around the exterior. seems to pop in to the dirty area slyly, usually when the defenders aren't paying attention, then quickly pops out again. doesn't seem to want anything to do with contact.

he seemed like he struggled with decision making, specifically passing. he would have room to go, and then proceed to pass it, and vice versa. a few times, he passed it to open ice, which is troublesome. under pressure, he was abit panicky. tried and do too much in tight, too. did not seem to commit to the defensive aspect of the game. he did hustle back relatively hard, but never seemed to latch onto a guy, and try to neutralize him. he just seemed to be anticipating the play turning the other way, and was prepared to counter attack.

one shift in particular, really had me shaking my head. we had the PP, and he had a few good chances, but end result was nothing. the play worked it's way back to the Ice Dogs blue line, and as he was exiting the ice, he, in frustration, just slapped the puck down the ice. he iced the puck when they were on the PP, because he was frustrated. didn't go over very well with the coaching staff, and he found himself riding the pines for about 10 minutes.

he played the 1st unit PP, but the top line when 5 on 5, was mostly Verhaeghe, Perlini, and Payne.

he seems to be one of those guys that would be described by one of my Eastern European co-workers, as one that "hears the bells, but don't know where the church is".

if someone can find the right buttons and press them, i would think they would have a gem on their hands. if not, well....

as i was buying tickets earlier, i asked one of the staff about Ho-Sang, and his face lit up. said he was a very exciting player to watch, but i couldn't get much more out of him.

again, this is amateur scouting, so please don't take too much from what i say.

and just in case someone from CSS, ISS, McKeen's or the Hockey News is reading this, i work cheap. for sandwiches, if that's all you got. day olds are fine. :D

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It was 90, Griff shutting the top scorers down, being voted playoff MVP and Edmonton winning the WHL title in Portland then the Memorial Cup.

In the OHL western conference final could have Sault Ste. Marie playing Erie which should be a great series even before we get to the finals. Hope that NHL Network puts some of the games on.

It's amazing that 16 17 and 18 year olds play at such a high level. So close to a pro game.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
Haha, I'm not a huge CHL fan like you are... I just care about our prospects.

Seems to me that Oshawa and the Greyhounds are on a collision course for the OHL Finals. Should be a really fun series to watch assuming things go according to plan.

Maybe the Isles will draft some players from SSM in the future so you'll have double motivation to root for them. We'll be counting on you for detailed scouting reports. Is there anyone you project as a 1st rounder for 2016 that could be available in the mid to late 20's? Preferably a power forward who actually plays like a power forward who doesn't have hands of stone.
I hear you, as I always cheer for our prospects teams, especially when our Hounds aren't that good, but this is a very special team this year, especially since the trade deadline. Most of our best players have already been drafted, as we have 4 1rst round NHL picks playing right now, plus a bunch of other guys who have been drafted 2nd round on and I still can't believe nobody drafted Sergei Tolchinsky, although Carolina gave him a try out and immediately signed him as a free agent. He may be small, but he is SLICK. I really wish the Isles had Nick Ritchie, as he is a beast on the puck with a very heavy shot, but he is Anaheim property. We don't really have a guy currently who will be a 1rst round 2016 draft pick, but we may have one by the time that draft comes along, as you never know about trades before then. I really like right winger Zach Senyshyn, as he is listed at 6.02 195lbs, but this guy has talent and has been a great kid, but not sure where he is listed in this years draft, although I think he is worth taking in the 3rd or 4th round, if he is still available. Most of the guys on these threads are probably too young, but I became an Islanders fanatic way back in 1975 or maybe 76 when the Isles drafted Greyhound Mike Kaszycki, who was a border at my neighbors house and would join us kids when we were playing street hockey. Kaz was very talented, as he saw a little time playing with Trotts and Boss, but was traded for tough guy Gord Lane just before our 1rst Cup. Anyway, if we do draft any Hounds, I will always be sure to give an honest scouting report on them. The only downfall on our current Hounds team, is Goalie Brandon Halverson, as he was a 2nd round choice of the Rags :banghead:, as he does have the potential to be a#1 NHL tender, but only time will tell, as these are young kids after all. Lets Go Islanders Prospects, just not so much when you're playing the Greyhounds :)

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I hear you, as I always cheer for our prospects teams, especially when our Hounds aren't that good, but this is a very special team this year, especially since the trade deadline. Most of our best players have already been drafted, as we have 4 1rst round NHL picks playing right now, plus a bunch of other guys who have been drafted 2nd round on and I still can't believe nobody drafted Sergei Tolchinsky, although Carolina gave him a try out and immediately signed him as a free agent. He may be small, but he is SLICK. I really wish the Isles had Nick Ritchie, as he is a beast on the puck with a very heavy shot, but he is Anaheim property. We don't really have a guy currently who will be a 1rst round 2016 draft pick, but we may have one by the time that draft comes along, as you never know about trades before then. I really like right winger Zach Senyshyn, as he is listed at 6.02 195lbs, but this guy has talent and has been a great kid, but not sure where he is listed in this years draft, although I think he is worth taking in the 3rd or 4th round, if he is still available. Most of the guys on these threads are probably too young, but I became an Islanders fanatic way back in 1975 or maybe 76 when the Isles drafted Greyhound Mike Kaszycki, who was a border at my neighbors house and would join us kids when we were playing street hockey. Kaz was very talented, as he saw a little time playing with Trotts and Boss, but was traded for tough guy Gord Lane just before our 1rst Cup. Anyway, if we do draft any Hounds, I will always be sure to give an honest scouting report on them. The only downfall on our current Hounds team, is Goalie Brandon Halverson, as he was a 2nd round choice of the Rags :banghead:, as he does have the potential to be a#1 NHL tender, but only time will tell, as these are young kids after all. Lets Go Islanders Prospects, just not so much when you're playing the Greyhounds :)

Haha, I like your style!

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
i went to the Ice Dogs game today, and had mixed emotions about Ho-Sang. this was my first time there, so obviously my observations are to be taken lightly.

as everyone knows, he is an excellent skater. i found that when he got the puck on his stick, there was a buzz in the crowd, and people were saying things like, "here we go!", and "go for a skate!". it seems that he can get people out of their seats, simply by touching the puck. extremely tricky skater, excellent lateral movement. reads the play well, and seems to predict with aplomb, openings in the defensive wall. has great initial burst of speed, but didn't see any blazing, top end speed. definitely has a nose for the net, and seems to really buzz around it, albeit around the exterior. seems to pop in to the dirty area slyly, usually when the defenders aren't paying attention, then quickly pops out again. doesn't seem to want anything to do with contact.

he seemed like he struggled with decision making, specifically passing. he would have room to go, and then proceed to pass it, and vice versa. a few times, he passed it to open ice, which is troublesome. under pressure, he was abit panicky. tried and do too much in tight, too. did not seem to commit to the defensive aspect of the game. he did hustle back relatively hard, but never seemed to latch onto a guy, and try to neutralize him. he just seemed to be anticipating the play turning the other way, and was prepared to counter attack.

one shift in particular, really had me shaking my head. we had the PP, and he had a few good chances, but end result was nothing. the play worked it's way back to the Ice Dogs blue line, and as he was exiting the ice, he, in frustration, just slapped the puck down the ice. he iced the puck when they were on the PP, because he was frustrated. didn't go over very well with the coaching staff, and he found himself riding the pines for about 10 minutes.

he played the 1st unit PP, but the top line when 5 on 5, was mostly Verhaeghe, Perlini, and Payne.

he seems to be one of those guys that would be described by one of my Eastern European co-workers, as one that "hears the bells, but don't know where the church is".

if someone can find the right buttons and press them, i would think they would have a gem on their hands. if not, well....

as i was buying tickets earlier, i asked one of the staff about Ho-Sang, and his face lit up. said he was a very exciting player to watch, but i couldn't get much more out of him.

again, this is amateur scouting, so please don't take too much from what i say.

and just in case someone from CSS, ISS, McKeen's or the Hockey News is reading this, i work cheap. for sandwiches, if that's all you got. day olds are fine. :D

Your description of JHS is right on line, he does things that make you go wow and other things that make the coach want to pull his hair out (surprised Marty Williamson isnt bald yet). Got a laugh out of the church reference, another way of saying tools in the toolbox. Looks like JHS dosent have high end hockey sense like Strome or MDC for example. He's going to need a lot of time, can't see him developing at the pace Strome has or we hope for MDC. How JHS develops, who knows.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Your description of JHS is right on line, he does things that make you go wow and other things that make the coach want to pull his hair out (surprised Marty Williamson isnt bald yet). Got a laugh out of the church reference, another way of saying tools in the toolbox. Looks like JHS dosent have high end hockey sense like Strome or MDC for example. He's going to need a lot of time, can't see him developing at the pace Strome has or we hope for MDC. How JHS develops, who knows.

i honestly believe that people can change markedly, if they choose to, and i hold out hope for him becoming an impact player for us.

i hope to see a game or two vs Oshawa, so maybe i will share my observations again. complete with funny quotes, from zany people, lol. it is always a bonus if players can pick it up a notch, when the going gets tough, and should be interesting to see.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nice shot of Somerby almost killing someone...

032815minnesotacs06.jpg

The kid is HUGE and he's not a bad skater at all.

Doyle Somerby brings the boom for BU

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/.../2015/04/doyle_somerby_brings_the_boom_for_bu

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

032815minnesotacs06.jpg

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/.../2015/04/doyle_somerby_brings_the_boom_for_bu

On Thursday BU plays North Dakota 8:30 on ESPN 2 in a frozen four semi final game.
In watching the conference games Somerby is someone who bears watching during the next two seasons at BU. He is still on raw side not having been a defenseman very long. What Somerby looks to have is above average hockey sense. Not going to project if he has a future beyond college, at the same time he is not someone to cross off the prospect list, keep an eye on him for further development.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

032815minnesotacs06.jpg

If he continues to develope I could see him eventually looking to become a FA and seek 1st round money. He's in with a large group of isles defensive prospects.

If that does happen I hope the compensation system is in place.

Anyway, we're a ways off from this. Let's just hope the kid continues to develop. Love his size and skating. He's also at a great college program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad