Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I don't think the Islanders have ever had a big shot from the point on the team. Ever.

You're forgetting a few. Vladimir Malakhov had a huge shot... problem was he never hit the net and was an automatic clear for the opposing PK 90% of the time.

There were a few other big shots (Berard, Marc Andre Bergeron, Aucoin etc) but they were just PLUS shots. Pulock is a PLUS PLUS (so was Malakhov in my opinion, just had an issue with the accuracy).

But your point is well taken. Again Donovan has a PLUS shot but I'm not sure whats going on with the shanks this year. Kid looks nervous/flustered. I'm thinking/hoping its just a confidence type thing... this has to be the least amount of playoff time he has ever experienced at any level so there may be some rust on that bomb.

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
Yes, we could have had Zadarov, but Pulock wasn't considered a "leap" either. I think Zadarov would have looked great on our Blueline, but we already have Mayfield, Pedan and a few other big defencemen with average hockey IQ or less. Reinhart is a big D with a HIGH IQ (you can't teach intelligence), blue blood NHL pedigree and a hard worker. This kid will be better than D Hamilton. Hamilton is smart..but book smart...I think his hockey IQ is still high, but I think Reinhart's is higher. as for Pulock over Zadarov...well.I think Pulock has more to offer and sure, we could have used him, but Pulock is no slouch and is NHL ready. If this was any other team both Pulock and Reinhart would be playing. I just think that we got so paranoid on how we screwed up a couple players development, that we keep people down in the minors for a few years longer. Strome would have already been playing too, if this was another team.

Definitely Pulock over Zadorov. But this is how I see it.

2012 Draft - Drafted for need
2013 Draft - Drafted BPA

If it were reversed(which would be logical considering where the picks were), we could have ended up with Reilly and Zadarov. If you were referring to my post.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Definitely Pulock over Zadorov. But this is how I see it.

2012 Draft - Drafted for need
2013 Draft - Drafted BPA

If it were reversed(which would be logical considering where the picks were), we could have ended up with Reilly and Zadarov. If you were referring to my post.

I'm extremely happy with the way these last two drafts have turned out. I know some aren't thrilled about Reinhart's offensive production, but defensively he brings exactly what we are lacking at the NHL level. We need that guy who we can throw out there in crucial defensive situations and be confident that he'll get the job done. A guy like Marc Staal or(if the offense does come around a bit) Ryan Suter. Reinhart could quickly become our most reliable defensive d-man once he makes the jump.

As far as Pulock goes, I still can't believe we were able to nab him with the 15th pick. I would have bet anything that he would have been gone by pick #11. IMO if he were eligible for this year's draft, he would easily go top-5, and perhaps even beat out Ekblad as the #1 defenseman. As others have said, if he can continue to solidify his play in his own zone, he could really turn into something special. A true 2-way #1.

One of the best defense pairings of the past decade has been Suter and Weber, and ironically enough I think that is the max upside of these two prospects, Reinhart(Suter) and Pulock(Weber). Obviously that's best case scenario, but even if both fall a little short we'll still end up with a potentially elite top-pairing.

Obviously there is a lot to be concerned about right now with the Isles, but at least thinking about the potential future with these two as well as Strome makes it a little easier to deal with... for me at least.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Ville Pokka with 0+1 (primary assist on pp) +1 tonight 19:23 TOI

Season totals: 21 games played 3+9=12 +13 TOI ~22 minutes per game

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I'm extremely happy with the way these last two drafts have turned out. I know some aren't thrilled about Reinhart's offensive production, but defensively he brings exactly what we are lacking at the NHL level. We need that guy who we can throw out there in crucial defensive situations and be confident that he'll get the job done. A guy like Marc Staal or(if the offense does come around a bit) Ryan Suter. Reinhart could quickly become our most reliable defensive d-man once he makes the jump.

As far as Pulock goes, I still can't believe we were able to nab him with the 15th pick. I would have bet anything that he would have been gone by pick #11. IMO if he were eligible for this year's draft, he would easily go top-5, and perhaps even beat out Ekblad as the #1 defenseman. As others have said, if he can continue to solidify his play in his own zone, he could really turn into something special. A true 2-way #1.

One of the best defense pairings of the past decade has been Suter and Weber, and ironically enough I think that is the max upside of these two prospects, Reinhart(Suter) and Pulock(Weber). Obviously that's best case scenario, but even if both fall a little short we'll still end up with a potentially elite top-pairing.

Obviously there is a lot to be concerned about right now with the Isles, but at least thinking about the potential future with these two as well as Strome makes it a little easier to deal with... for me at least.

Well said Blinkman. I'm a big Reinhart fan, even before the Isles drafted him you could see this kid was so raw yet already seemed to have the size, skating and smarts to be a special player one day. And as much as I saw Reinhart as a top dman in camp/pre-season, part of me still thinks he needs some AHL time. Not because he can't be effective in the NHL right away and not because he's already better than half the defense - but because he has a lot of upside to his game that big AHL minutes could really help. I felt the same way about Matt Martin. He could have spent another year or two in the AHL, developed a much better offensive game.

Tough to be patient with the big club suffocating but sometimes it makes sense. Pulock seems to have a more developed offensive game and body, but I'm sure he could use some AHL time to adjust to the defensive side, size of the players, speed of play, etc. We shall see. Those decisions are 11 months away and a lot will happen in the interim.

You're forgetting a few. Vladimir Malakhov had a huge shot... problem was he never hit the net and was an automatic clear for the opposing PK 90% of the time.

There were a few other big shots (Berard, Marc Andre Bergeron, Aucoin etc) but they were just PLUS shots. Pulock is a PLUS PLUS (so was Malakhov in my opinion, just had an issue with the accuracy).

But your point is well taken. Again Donovan has a PLUS shot but I'm not sure whats going on with the shanks this year. Kid looks nervous/flustered. I'm thinking/hoping its just a confidence type thing... this has to be the least amount of playoff time he has ever experienced at any level so there may be some rust on that bomb.

I was always high on Donovan since the WJC where I was surprised he made the team and more surprised at how well he played. He's gotten better and better since and I just wish Capuano would recognize his KEY STRENGTH and use him on the PP, especially with Visnovsky out. It boggles the mind and bothers me to no end! He's the smartest offensive dman after Visnovsky and he's got the best shot.

Malakhov is someone I wanted to forget, thankfully I finally did! So much potential, his wrist shot was as hard as his slap shot, big, amazing skater, smooth, solid defensively - when his head was in the game and he tried, he could dominate. Too bad it only happened once a month, then once every two months, then never.
Reminded me of Kent Nilsson. Some nights he looked like Gretzky, other nights, he made Alexei Kovalev look like Ryan Smyth with his effort level.

Cappy's inability to evaluate his players, assess "fit" and proper roles, adjust to game situations (be it line matching, when to use timeouts) is astonishingly bad. Worst bench coach I've seen in the NHL (well, maybe Butch, Sterling - Isles have had a few!)

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

One assist for Pokka (PP, primary). Karpat won 4-1

Pokka(and Pelech, for that matter) are right on the A-prospect bubble, IMO. After Reinhart and Pulock, these two guys have the best shot of becoming top-pairing defensemen. At the very least I think they can become solid 2nd pairing guys for us.

The high-end depth we have defensively is staggering.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Very encouraging. Love to see dmen that can play a lot of minutes and succeed.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Pokka(and Pelech, for that matter) are right on the A-prospect bubble, IMO. After Reinhart and Pulock, these two guys have the best shot of becoming top-pairing defensemen. At the very least I think they can become solid 2nd pairing guys for us.

Reinhart-Pulock
Pelech-Pokka
Mayfield-Hamonic
Pedan

Oh my, that's a nice top 7 that all can play well defensively and offensively.

I read we have to sign Pelech by June or lose him. They better sign him. I'd be more pissed losing him than Kitchton, because Pelech is a warrior.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Reinhart-Pulock
Pelech-Pokka
Mayfield-Hamonic
Pedan

I read we have to sign Pelech by June or lose him. They better sign him. I'd be more pissed losing him than Kitchton, because Pelech is a warrior.

I haven't heard that about Pelech, but if it's true I don't see any way how they could just let him walk. He'd be a welcomed addition to Bridgeport along with Mayfield, Pedan, one of de Haan or Donovan, as well as Pokka who should also be making the jump. Maybe even Pulock as well, but I have a feeling he'll get a real opportunity to crack the Islanders in TC(along with Reinhart).

Pelech absolutely has a future here. Kichton was debatable. Letting him walk would be a pretty epic mistake.

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
I'm extremely happy with the way these last two drafts have turned out.

Initially I was not happy with Reinhart at 4. But two things have made me accept and become happy about that pick. First Pulock being drafted and secondly the state of our NHL defense today. I'm glad he is in the system.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Initially I was not happy with Reinhart at 4. But two things have made me accept and become happy about that pick. First Pulock being drafted and secondly the state of our NHL defense today. I'm glad he is in the system.

still prefer trouba, but reinhart is a safe bet to be a very good defensive dman, something we desperately need for sure.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Reinhart is still all about upside. That's what you get when you draft a 6'5" 200lb kid d-man. And if he does pan out (which I hope/assume he will), at that size he's not going to be dynamo, he's going to be a presence back there.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
November 16
Cape Breton 5, Drummondville 4 (OT)-Leduc, even.
Erie 4, Guelph 3 (OT)-Pelech, even.
Note-Trailing 3-0 in third, Erie tied game with 3 short handed goals, McDavid scores in OT.
Barrie 8, Niagara 2-Graham, 1 assist, even.
Note-VCR did not play against Sarnia.
Edmonton 4, Swift Current 2-Reinhart, even.
Regina 3, Spokane 2 (SO)-Burroughs, even.

Notre Dame 2, Merrimack 2 (OT)-Russo, even.
Minnesota 3, Minnesota State 0-Bischoff, 1 goal (3), + 2, Cammarata, even.

Last edited:

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

All four of them are AHL eligible next season!

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Unfortunately, I think Pulock, Reinhart and Pelech will remain in the O or W until their eligibility is no more.

The only reason Pokka would be up before those guys is because he needs to adjust to north american style of play on north american ice surface.

We tend to keep people in jrs as long as possible. We tried to pull Nino early and it fell apart...so Isles won't take another chance.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Watched a lot of Minnesota, Minnesota State game flipping between the Islanders last night. Since so many Minnesota games are on TV, going to have to keep a close eye on Jake Bischoff. Has been quite impressive in the games he has played in. This was the first weekend that he has played in both games so Hope he is breaking through for regular ice time but Minnesota is a very deep team. Excellent skater, puck mover and displays high hockey sense. Here is one example from last night. He had the puck in his own end, his best two options were taken away from him,yet calmly found and open outlet and make the breakout pass. Very good for his limited college experience.

His goal in the first period, he broke into the slot and took a perfect pass from Fasching who again stood out (ouch, Williams did not play either game this weekend). Would not be surprised to see Bischoff work his way up on Minnesota's second or top pair in the next season or two. Still too early to tell since he only played a few games, not claiming Bischoff was a draft steal, just saying watch him closely when Minnesota plays.

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Watched a lot of Minnesota, Minnesota State game flipping between the Islanders last night. Since so many Minnesota games are on TV, going to have to keep a close eye on Jake Bischoff. Has been quite impressive in the games he has played in. This was the first weekend that he has played in both games so Hope he is breaking through for regular ice time but Minnesota is a very deep team. Excellent skater, puck mover and displays high hockey sense. Here is one example from last night. He had the puck in his own end, his best two options were taken away from him,yet calmly found and open outlet and make the breakout pass. Very good for his limited college experience.

His goal in the first period, he broke into the slot and took a perfect pass from Fasching who again stood out (ouch, Williams did not play either game this weekend). Would not be surprised to see Bischoff work his way up on Minnesota's second or top pair in the next season or two. Still too early to tell since he only played a few games, not claiming Bischoff was a draft steal, just saying watch him closely when Minnesota plays.
Thanks Rex ! Great report. You may not, but I'm claiming Bischoff a draft steal :)

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Unfortunately, I think Pulock, Reinhart and Pelech will remain in the O or W until their eligibility is no more.

The only reason Pokka would be up before those guys is because he needs to adjust to north american style of play on north american ice surface.

We tend to keep people in jrs as long as possible. We tried to pull Nino early and it fell apart...so Isles won't take another chance.

Pulock, Reinhart and Pelech will all have 4 years of Juniors in after this year and all be age 20 by the first week of October next year. Not a single one of those guys will be in juniors next year. Reinhart and Pulock already signed deals with the club and they will be in Bridgeport (or the big club if Reinhart makes it) come next year. Pelech has to sign a contract this off-season or he will go back into the draft. Whether the Isles sign him (and they should) or he goes back into the draft, his days in the O are over after this year. He'll be in the AHL somewhere next season (hopefully its Bridgeport)

November 16
Cape Breton 5, Drummondville 4 (OT)-Leduc, even.
Erie 4, Guelph 3 (OT)-Pelech, even.
Note-Trailing 3-0 in third, Erie tied game with 3 short handed goals, McDavid scores in OT.
Barrie 8, Niagara 2-Graham, 1 assist, even.
Note-VCR did not play against Sarnia.
Edmonton 4, Swift Current 2-Reinhart, even.
Regina 3, Spokane 2 (SO)-Burroughs, even.

Notre Dame 2, Merrimack 2 (OT)-Russo, even.
Minnesota 3, Minnesota State 0-Bischoff, 1 goal (3), + 2, Cammarata, even.

Thanks Rex, I took the night off last night. No Hockey for me, not even the Isles. I'm watching the Erie game right now, because I NEED to see that finish. I agree with you on bischoff, he is a phenomenal skater. I have watched him play 2 games so far (and have last nights on DVR for some point later in the week) he has impressed me with his skating and puck control, never mind the points and goals.

I'll get this stuff up from last night at some point today.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Pulock, Reinhart and Pelech will all have 4 years of Juniors in after this year and all be age 20 by the first week of October next year. Not a single one of those guys will be in juniors next year. Reinhart and Pulock already signed deals with the club and they will be in Bridgeport (or the big club if Reinhart makes it) come next year. Pelech has to sign a contract this off-season or he will go back into the draft. Whether the Isles sign him (and they should) or he goes back into the draft, his days in the O are over after this year. He'll be in the AHL somewhere next season (hopefully its Bridgeport)

Thanks Rex, I took the night off last night. No Hockey for me, not even the Isles. I'm watching the Erie game right now, because I NEED to see that finish. I agree with you on bischoff, he is a phenomenal skater. I have watched him play 2 games so far (and have last nights on DVR for some point later in the week) he has impressed me with his skating and puck control, never mind the points and goals.

I'll get this stuff up from last night at some point today.

Everyone needs a night off. If you watch the whole Minnesota game, the play from my post happened in the first period, some time after Bischoff"s goal.. Was not really listening to Erie, checked the score and was shocked the Erie came by on three shorties, tuned in just in time for OT and McDavid. Never heard of a team at any level score the way Erie did.

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Scott, next time Minnesota is on watch Bischoff closely, worth tuning in for.

I didn't see him last night Rex, but saw him against Boston College a few weeks ago. Was very impressed, does not seem overwhelmed or out of place. Fine skater with offensive instincts. He a huge long shot to even get a contract from the Isles, let alone make it in their system. Just too many defensemen ahead of him. Plus no matter how successful they are, Isles don't seem to sign their late round picks (Theoret, Kicthton).

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Reinhart-Pulock
Pelech-Pokka
Mayfield-Hamonic
Pedan

You were pissed about losing Kichton? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad