Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Sorry Scott, have no idea what happened in the game, could not listen since it's a school day.
Going to listen to Brandon tonight while rooting for a win against the Leafs.

Awesome ! Hopefully Pulock and Brandon keep winning, and the Isles too !

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012
"Former NYI David Ullstrom by mutual consent agreed to terminate his KHL contract with Lokomotiv" Official in Lokomotiv's website

scott99

May 13, 2005
"Former NYI David Ullstrom by mutual consent agreed to terminate his KHL contract with Lokomotiv" Official in Lokomotiv's website

I wish Koskinen would do that, we can use him big time. As far as Ullstrom, I really thought he can become a good NHLer, kinda surprised he couldn't succeed in the KHL.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I wish Koskinen would do that, we can use him big time. As far as Ullstrom, I really thought he can become a good NHLer, kinda surprised he couldn't succeed in the KHL.

he plays a north american game. I never saw top six potential in Ullstrom but liked him in a bottom six role.

i hope he considers the AHL again, BP needs the help and I'd give him another shot with the Islanders (once we trade Regin and Bouchard for Weber and Seth Jones and a second rounder ;)

I look at the role Kulemin plays in Toronto. He had one big year where everything went in, but he's nothing more than a really good 3rd line player who is excellent on the boards and plays great defensively. These guys help teams win games.

Sorry, but Regin-Cluttterbuck-Bouchard being out there against top lines is simply not a good idea. Magnified by the terrible defense: Ness, Donovan, Carkner, MacDonald.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
he plays a north american game. I never saw top six potential in Ullstrom but liked him in a bottom six role.

i hope he considers the AHL again, BP needs the help and I'd give him another shot with the Islanders (once we trade Regin and Bouchard for Weber and Seth Jones and a second rounder ;)

I look at the role Kulemin plays in Toronto. He had one big year where everything went in, but he's nothing more than a really good 3rd line player who is excellent on the boards and plays great defensively. These guys help teams win games.

Sorry, but Regin-Cluttterbuck-Bouchard being out there against top lines is simply not a good idea. Magnified by the terrible defense: Ness, Donovan, Carkner, MacDonald.

Ughhh we've got some really weak links. Of the ones you've mentioned, the only one I'm optimistic about is Donovan - he's got solid tools to one day be a good dman, we just gotta be patient

...oh and Clutterbuck too, can't be too harsh on the guy cuz his line-mates are JUNK. que Regin and PMB - our prized ummer signings lol. The team just doesn't look right with them in the line-up. Misfits

It just seems that every friggin year the FA's brought in to provide support and secondary scoring end up doing the exact opposite. For the past 5-6 years the FA's Snow has signed have offered ABSOLUTELY NOTHING positive to this team! lol its such a joke! Why even bother signing anyone??? They all stink! Every year same ****. You get what you pay for! Junk! All garbage!

Why even bother making a splash in the ufa market when the players we picked up off waivers always out perform our FA signings by a mile?

Now for the record, I'm a Snow supporter and really like a lot what he's done for the Islanders. But his inability to bring in an FA who 'fits' is a huge black mark. But then again, maybe I'm expecting too much.

Apologize if this type of message doesn't belong in this thread lol i just started typing and this is what came out

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Ullstrom eh? I wouldn't mind having him back. Always thought he fit in well with how the team played. Hardworking, Forechecked hard and played an aggressive north/south game (more of what the team needs). Needs to work on how he 'thinks the game' though. Also would like to see him more responsible with/without the puck - but that will prob only come with experience.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Now for the record, I'm a Snow supporter and really like a lot what he's done for the Islanders. But his inability to bring in an FA who 'fits' is a huge black mark. But then again, maybe I'm expecting too much.

All in all, I'm also a Snow supporter, but that doesn't mean he hasn't made HUGE mistakes.

Not addressing the hole on defense is inexcusable. And that's before Visnovsky got hurt.

Maybe he gets a pass for Nabokov because he didn't sign him right away and maybe he tried for a better deal and it wasn't possible. And thinking Poulin/Nilsson might win a job at camp isn't horrible. But after he saw Nabokov's start? And now that he's hurt? Time to make a move.

And I loved getting rid of Moulson (almost addition by subtraction- though he wasn't that bad) but to replace him with the same player, in the same position? and adding an asset (like 1st and 2nd rounder) STILL WITHOUT addressing the HOLE on defense.

And I like Clutterbuck and I like Regin and I can tolerate Bouchard. In isolation.

But I don't see how this team can possibly get BETTER. If Bouchard was supposed to be a "better Boyes" - then it's mission-sideways!

Regin and Bouchard are getting minutes that Nelson and Strome should be getting, especially if the plan is still the plan. Build from the draft, build from within. No?

Why stop-gap at forward (where we have game-ready prospects and better options) and NOT ON DEFENSE, where there's a glaring hole?

It's a bit like upgrading your kitchen appliances but not addressing the fact that your living room is on fire.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I'd be happy to see Ullstrøm back. I thought he did pretty well but Cappy seemed to make a scapegoat of him. Bport sure could use him though
I was disappointed that Ullstrom left but Cappy seemed not to like him much. Ullstrom has plus tools such as great speed, very good size, and decent shot, also does not avoid contact like Mr. Regin. I would welcome him back, he is an NHL quality player at some level (likely bottom 6) for some team.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
November 20
Medicine Hat 4, Brandon 3 (OT)- Pulock, 2 assists, + 3.
Note-Medicine Hat,game winning powerplay goal while Pulock penalized late in regulation.

Last edited:

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
November 20
Medicine Hat 4, Brandon 3 (OT)- Pulock, 2 assists, + 3.
Note-Medicine Hat,game winning powerplay goal while Pulock penalized late in regulation.

I love this thread, it's my window to world outside the NHL. Thanks to all of you who post here, you're work (especially videos) is much appreciated. There's something different, something special about Pulock, I honestly think he's gonna blow the roof off his expectations when he comes to fruition.

JPIsles21

Jul 9, 2006
All in all, I'm also a Snow supporter, but that doesn't mean he hasn't made HUGE mistakes.

Not addressing the hole on defense is inexcusable. And that's before Visnovsky got hurt.

Maybe he gets a pass for Nabokov because he didn't sign him right away and maybe he tried for a better deal and it wasn't possible. And thinking Poulin/Nilsson might win a job at camp isn't horrible. But after he saw Nabokov's start? And now that he's hurt? Time to make a move.

And I loved getting rid of Moulson (almost addition by subtraction- though he wasn't that bad) but to replace him with the same player, in the same position? and adding an asset (like 1st and 2nd rounder) STILL WITHOUT addressing the HOLE on defense.

And I like Clutterbuck and I like Regin and I can tolerate Bouchard. In isolation.

But I don't see how this team can possibly get BETTER. If Bouchard was supposed to be a "better Boyes" - then it's mission-sideways!

Regin and Bouchard are getting minutes that Nelson and Strome should be getting, especially if the plan is still the plan. Build from the draft, build from within. No?

Why stop-gap at forward (where we have game-ready prospects and better options) and NOT ON DEFENSE, where there's a glaring hole?

It's a bit like upgrading your kitchen appliances but not addressing the fact that your living room is on fire.

I agree with the bulk of this argument, a few disagreements though:

1) I have no issue with the Vanek trade. I see it as an upgrade. An elite right shot winger to complement Tavares was a need, and it was addressed.

2) We have a very good group of bottom 4 dmen (Visnovsky, Hamonic, AMac, Hickey, Donovan). No issue with that group as a bottom 4. Issue is with top pair dmen, which by my estimation of the league, were not at all available. Closest was PK Subban, who was an RFA. Of all the dmen that were available by trade or changed teams, I can't think of a single one who would make a real difference. But I agree, we need help on defense.

3) The issue is coaching. The line combinations are absolutely brutal. Regin is not an NHL top 9 center. Lines run through the center position. Regin needs to be on the fourth line, and Cizikas should be given an opportunity to center the third line. Furthermore, Colin McDonald was a good 4th liner last year. This year he is not an NHL player. How does the coaching staff address this? By putting him on the 2nd line in place of Grabner. Also...the defense is obviously struggling. One of the easiest ways to try something new and shake things up is by changing up the pairings. How does this get addressed? Oh wait, it doesn't. In fact nothing changes.

The only changes this team makes is substituting Boulton to even out the advantage they would have over a team dressing their goon, benching inappropriately (Nelson, Grabner, Donovan). You can tell the benchings are odd too, because when Nelson re-entered the lineup it was on the first line! Who does that? If he's good enough to play on a first line, why would you not play him at all?

Also the issue of far too many bad line changes and too many men on ice. That's a coaching issue. Inexcusable.

I'm done with Capuano. He cannot and does not get the most out of this team. It's disappointing because other teams that are succeeding don't necessarily have the best d corps:

Colorado: Hejda, Johnson, Benoit, Sarich, Guenin, Wilson
NJD: Greene, Zidlicky, Salvador, Harrold, Gelinas, Larsson, Volchenkov

There are other examples, but I'm too tired to list. System is very important to maximizing your defense corps. We aren't great on the backend, but coaching doesn't exactly maximize our potential.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I love this thread, it's my window to world outside the NHL. Thanks to all of you who post here, you're work (especially videos) is much appreciated. There's something different, something special about Pulock, I honestly think he's gonna blow the roof off his expectations when he comes to fruition.

Agreed 100% !! Wonderful folks here keeping us updated on our prospects. Degeneration Rex and ITM keep me coming back every day, sometimes several times a day. And thanks to the others who keep us updated on our European prospects as well. great thread !

Agree about Pulock, he just seems to have that something special. He seems driven to succeed. Not calling him the Tavares of our defensemen, but he seems to have that kind of drive and inner confidence to succeed.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Agreed 100% !! Wonderful folks here keeping us updated on our prospects. Degeneration Rex and ITM keep me coming back every day, sometimes several times a day. And thanks to the others who keep us updated on our European prospects as well. great thread !

Agree about Pulock, he just seems to have that something special. He seems driven to succeed. Not calling him the Tavares of our defensemen, but he seems to have that kind of drive and inner confidence to succeed.

My hope is that, next season, Reinhart-Pulock give us a MacDonald-Hamonic type impact, circa 2010. Who knows, maybe they'll even put that duo to shame in year one. Either way, if both are quick studies next season and come out of the gate giving us solid defense, our team as a whole could see a huge improvement. Picture how much better we'd be right now with two more top-4 defensemen.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
My hope is that, next season, Reinhart-Pulock give us a MacDonald-Hamonic type impact, circa 2010. Who knows, maybe they'll even put that duo to shame in year one. Either way, if both are quick studies next season and come out of the gate giving us solid defense, our team as a whole could see a huge improvement. Picture how much better we'd be right now with two more top-4 defensemen.

if you hope for that, dont be shocked when we suck again next year

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
if you hope for that, dont be shocked when we suck again next year

You don't think they are capable of actually being productive rookies? Regardless, I don't see what other options we have. Not only will the UFA market for defensemen be pretty thin, but even if it wasn't I don't see anything changing. The Isles don't offer big contracts. Even when they do, the player always chooses to sign elsewhere.

I think this team will try to lock up Vanek, they'll try to lure in a UFA goalie(probably Hiller), and the rest of the changes will come internally(Reinhart, Pulock, Strome). Even if we continue to struggle, I'd feel better knowing we actually have some key pieces getting experience, instead of the Regin's, Bouchard's, and Carkner's of today.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
You don't think they are capable of actually being productive rookies? Regardless, I don't see what other options we have. Not only will the UFA market for defensemen be pretty thin, but even if it wasn't I don't see anything changing. The Isles don't offer big contracts. Even when they do, the player always chooses to sign elsewhere.

I think this team will try to lock up Vanek, they'll try to lure in a UFA goalie(probably Hiller), and the rest of the changes will come internally(Reinhart, Pulock, Strome). Even if we continue to struggle, I'd feel better knowing we actually have some key pieces getting experience, instead of the Regin's, Bouchard's, and Carkner's of today.

i am high on both of them and think they both will be good NHLers, but if you expect them to both jump in play 20-22 min a night and both show no growing pains, then you are delusional...we need to sign 2 top 4s, retain Amac (or replace him with someone else) and then we can have both pulock and reinhart slowly trickled in....but we all know that wont happen

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
i am high on both of them and think they both will be good NHLers, but if you expect them to both jump in play 20-22 min a night and both show no growing pains, then you are delusional...we need to sign 2 top 4s, retain Amac (or replace him with someone else) and then we can have both pulock and reinhart slowly trickled in....but we all know that wont happen

When did I say that I expect anything? I said what I'm hoping for, which IMO is a lot more realistic than hoping this team goes out and signs three UFA defensemen(or two UFA's plus AMac).

Either way, isn't the whole point of giving a guy like Reinhart extra development so that you can cut down on or eliminate growing pains? I never understand the line of thinking around here: keep Reinhart down so he's EVEN BETTER once he gets here - then when the time comes for him to get here, we automatically assume that he's going to play like ****? If that's the case, why didn't he just stick this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad