Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
November 23
Erie 5, Sudbury 2-Pelech, 1 goal (6), even.
Guelph 6, Plymouth 2-VCR, 1 assist, - 1.
Kootenay 5, Brandon 2-Pulock, 1 goal (9), even.
Medicine Hat 5, Regina 1-Burroughs, - 1.

UMass-Lowell 3, Notre Dame 1-Russo, even.
Minnesota State 3, Bowling Green 2 (OT)-Williams, 9 saves 11 shots, left game after 1st period.
BU 3, North Dakota 3 (OT)-Somerby, + 1.

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
November 24
Bathurst 4, Cape Breton 1-Leduc, 1 goal (3), even.
Minnesota State 6, Minnesota 2-Bischoff, even, Cammarata, - 1.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Strome is over a PPG but only has 4 goals...For those who watch BPORT should we be concerned with his lack of Goal scoring or does he just always look to distribute?

I always pictured him as a 25-50-75 guy anyway...

scott99

May 13, 2005
Strome is over a PPG but only has 4 goals...For those who watch BPORT should we be concerned with his lack of Goal scoring or does he just always look to distribute?

He's on pace for over 60 points in his first full Pro season. I wouldn't worry about the goal total. My biggest concern was that Strome and Lee replace Nelson's and Niederreiter's offense, and basically they have. Maybe not in the goal department, but in the overall point department it's pretty similar production.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I am more than happy with Stromes production on this awful Bport team...They should have gotten him a couple of solid vets to play with. He should shoot more but he likes his camp on the side of the net and its tough to score from there...lol

Isles Enforcer

Sep 22, 2005
New York
www.islesenforcers.com
I am more than happy with Stromes production on this awful Bport team...They should have gotten him a couple of solid vets to play with. He should shoot more but he likes his camp on the side of the net and its tough to score from there...lol

Man I was thinking the same thing today while they had the goalie pulled in the last few seconds. I was like "Why the hell are you off to the side of the net...get in front!"

IslanderPride

Fire & Ice
Jul 5, 2008
NY
Man I was thinking the same thing today while they had the goalie pulled in the last few seconds. I was like "Why the hell are you off to the side of the net...get in front!"

Exactly , thank god he didnt see the NHL this year .. yes he might of been better then some on the island right now but just let him grow get bigger, stronger and marinated in the ahl .

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

Rarely, if ever, will you see a player perform better at the NHL level than at lower levels of competition. That concerns me. While Strome has looked good so far, he is not tearing it up. If he can only manage four goals against AHL-caliber goaltending, how can we expect him to surpass that at the NHL level? Maybe, he'll pick up the pace. I sure hope so, because we need someone like him (and every other thread has guys clamoring to bring him up). While I'd be happy to see him get a game or two soon, I truly am not sure he is ready. Again, see the first sentence above.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What are the chances of Kirill Petrov coming over at this point? :sarcasm:

It's anybody's guess at this point. Better to just see it as 'a cherry on top' scenario rather than expect it to happen.

I believe he can step into the NHL right now and be a top 9 forward. Will he ever want to?

NOTE:
He had two assists in Kazan's recent 5-1 victory this weekend.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Rarely, if ever, will you see a player perform better at the NHL level than at lower levels of competition. That concerns me. While Strome has looked good so far, he is not tearing it up. If he can only manage four goals against AHL-caliber goaltending, how can we expect him to surpass that at the NHL level? Maybe, he'll pick up the pace. I sure hope so, because we need someone like him (and every other thread has guys clamoring to bring him up). While I'd be happy to see him get a game or two soon, I truly am not sure he is ready. Again, see the first sentence above.

Are you basing your assessment on actually watching Strome play or strictly by his numbers? Strome, as a rookie, is playing with Lee(rookie) and Sundstom(projected NHL 3rd liner). And he is usually playing against the other teams best defensive line. So I see him averaging more than a point a game as a good thing. And yes I have traveled to the bridge and saw 2 games this season. I would not say he is dominating but he does look good and you can really see the offensive creativity he will bring.

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
Strome leads the team with 55 SOG so he definitely is shooting.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Are you basing your assessment on actually watching Strome play or strictly by his numbers? Strome, as a rookie, is playing with Lee(rookie) and Sundstom(projected NHL 3rd liner). And he is usually playing against the other teams best defensive line. So I see him averaging more than a point a game as a good thing. And yes I have traveled to the bridge and saw 2 games this season. I would not say he is dominating but he does look good and you can really see the offensive creativity he will bring.

Also, Bridgeport is terrible, and they aren't scoring a bunch of goals. I'm really happy with Strome's production, and Lee's production, and very happy with Sundstrom, he seems to be upping his offensive game. I see Sundstrom as the perfect 3rd line center for the Isles. Eventually replacing Nielsen. BUT, the fact that he can play wing, just like Nelson, is really going to help him in the future.

Vanek (if resigned) Tavares Okposo
Lee Strome Nelson
Cammarata Sundstrom Bailey
Martin Cizikas ?

I can see that as our possible future lines.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

I have seen him play twice this year, too, but, yes, I am basing it on the numbers. I recognize that they don't tell the whole story, but, unless he's playing with Tavares, is he going to be surrounded by players at the NHL level who are going to help carry the play? As I said originally, I recognize that he has been generally playing well; I just would have expected him to dominate and four goals is not dominating IMHO, especially for an offensive type of player.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I have seen him play twice this year, too, but, yes, I am basing it on the numbers. I recognize that they don't tell the whole story, but, unless he's playing with Tavares, is he going to be surrounded by players at the NHL level who are going to help carry the play? As I said originally, I recognize that he has been generally playing well; I just would have expected him to dominate and four goals is not dominating IMHO, especially for an offensive type of player.

I'm not sure what you expected. He's not a generational talent, but he's an elite prospect. As a 20 year old playing against men for the first time, having 19 points in 17 games is pretty impressive, regardless of the goal to assist ratio.

If you want something to base what he's doing on, take a loot at prior high end prospects that have actually played in the AHL(rare, considering most jump straight from Juniors to the NHL). The last I remember off the top of my head were B. Schenn(PPG player, 33 points in 33 games; 13 goals), James Van Riemsdyk(2 points in 7 games; 1 goal), Kyle Turris(first full season put up 63 points in 76 games; 24 goals), Cody Hodgson(30 points in 52 games; 17 goals), Ryan Johansen(33 in 40; 17 goals), Mikael Granlund(28 in 29; 10 goals) and a few others.

One interesting one is Nazem Kadri. His 20 year old season he scored 41 in 44(17 goals). The next season he scored 40 in 48(18 goals). The next season he scored 26 in 27(8 goals). That third season he then went on to the NHL where he scored 44 in 48(18 goals). Basically, don't always assume that production will take a big hit just because the player is jumping up a level.

Either way, these were all fellow elite/high-end prospects who were brought along slow enough to get AHL time, and so far Strome is at a higher PPG clip than all of them in ANY of their AHL seasons, much less their 20 year old rookie season. Also I'm not sure how strong any of these players' AHL teams were, but I can't imagine them being much stronger than the present Sound Tigers. Any way you want to look at it, what Strome is doing right now statistically is pretty impressive.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Here's a brief list of some current NHL players who spent some time in the AHL before making the NHL, or who were up and down between the NHL and AHL their first couple of seasons.

Some recent comparables:
Giroux - 33 GP, 17 G, 17 A
Couture - 42 GP, 20 G, 33 A
Ryan - 48 GP, 21 G, 28 A
Turris - 76 GP, 24 G, 39 A
Cody Hodgson - 52 GP, 17 G, 13 A
Niederreiter - 74 GP, 28 G, 22 A :sarcasm:

A couple of older comparables:
Getzlaf - 17 GP, 8 G, 25 A
Spezza - 43 GP, 22 G, 32 A

Strome's point production seems to be on par with all those guys, but as you were mentioning, his goal total is a bit worrying in that most "top end" prospects who aren't even necessarily goal scorers tend to put up good goal scoring totals at the AHL level. The two players closest to Strome's goal scoring totals are Kyle Turris and Cody Hodgson.

Note: this is strictly a discussion about numbers and stats, and how Strome's currently compare to some other players who eventually became scorers at the NHL level after spending some time in the AHL.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Here's a brief list of some current NHL players who spent some time in the AHL before making the NHL, or who were up and down between the NHL and AHL their first couple of seasons.

Some recent comparables:
Giroux - 33 GP, 17 G, 17 A
Couture - 42 GP, 20 G, 33 A
Ryan - 48 GP, 21 G, 28 A
Turris - 76 GP, 24 G, 39 A
Cody Hodgson - 52 GP, 17 G, 13 A
Niederreiter - 74 GP, 28 G, 22 A :sarcasm:

A couple of older comparables:
Getzlaf - 17 GP, 8 G, 25 A
Spezza - 43 GP, 22 G, 32 A

Strome's point production seems to be on par with all those guys, but as you were mentioning, his goal total is a bit worrying in that most "top end" prospects who aren't even necessarily goal scorers tend to put up good goal scoring totals at the AHL level. The two players closest to Strome's goal scoring totals are Kyle Turris and Cody Hodgson.

Note: this is strictly a discussion about numbers and stats, and how Strome's currently compare to some other players who eventually became scorers at the NHL level after spending some time in the AHL.

Thank you. This is more in line with what I was thinking and trying to say. I agree that he is doing fine points-wise. I just would like to see him scoring more goals. I probably need to chill a bit to give him a bit more time (small sample size). Hopefully, as he feels more comfortable, he'll produce even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad