Prospect Info: Prospect Camp: Las Vegas Rookie Faceoff

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Whoa. Didn't expect the bust who doesn't give a crap to score. I would've expected him to pull a Comeau on the breakaway.

Even when scoring he looked careless. Maybe it's just part of his personality.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I thought Boikov looked pretty good on the PP. Kamenev looks more engaged to me. The 5-3 wasn't pretty but guy sees the ice well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ok my bad 3 in his last 6 , 5 in his last 15 and 9 in last 30 . Point is he produced last 1/3 of the season .

I'm not one of the people that is down on Jost . He's going to be the #2 c

Point is his production even then was meh... it was 8 goals in last 30 regular season games (9 in 31 ;)), but also 9 in 40. In those last 30 games he had 2 whole assists. 10 points in 30 games. 6 of those points (5 goals) were on the power play where he was gifted time with MacK and Rants. Even strength, Jost had 4 points in his last 30 games. People have rightfully attacked Compher's production last year... Compher outscored Jost in general (granted 4 more games) and outscored him even strength. Not outside the realm of possibility that Compher's PP production would have been greater playing with MacK and Rants on the top unit making the difference even greater. There are positives you can take from Jost's end to the season, production really isn't one of them.

I should make it clear that I think Jost was a young rookie and he should get a complete pass on his point production. I'm just saying there isn't a real trend there to hang your hat on.

Reactions: MarkT

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not sure why there is so much hate around here for Kamenev. I think we all know that we shouldn't be expecting the 2nd coming or anything like that. But the kid is still just a kid. 22 years old is, not old.

20 years ago a 22 year old making a team was a big deal. Now we are spoiled with guys like MacKinnon or Rantanen or Jost or Girard who come league and do well at an age of 18 or 19.

Some guys just take longer to adjust. And quite frankly I'm not going to just give up on a 22 year old who has been given all of 5 NHL games in very limited roles despite being a constant producer at the AHL level. And frankly I feel like Nashville takes the extremely conservative route with prospects and is not very willing to play young guys unless they are exceptional talents like Forsberg or Jones. So who knows if he has really been given a chance or not.

I'm not saying that he should be given a roster spot or anything like that. But I do expect him to come into training camp and make it difficult for Bednar to send him to Loveland. Anyone expecting a 50+ pts scoring forward is going to be disappointed, but in time I feel he could become a solid 3C option that can win faceoffs, play an all around game and produce 30ish points, and that's not really something to scoff at and a role the Avs could use after Soderberg moves on.

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure why there is so much hate around here for Kamenev. I think we all know that we shouldn't be expecting the 2nd coming or anything like that. But the kid is still just a kid. 22 years old is, not old.

20 years ago a 22 year old making a team was a big deal. Now we are spoiled with guys like MacKinnon or Rantanen or Jost or Girard who come league and do well at an age of 18 or 19.

Some guys just take longer to adjust. And quite frankly I'm not going to just give up on a 22 year old who has been given all of 5 NHL games in very limited roles despite being a constant producer at the AHL level. And frankly I feel like Nashville takes the extremely conservative route with prospects and is not very willing to play young guys unless they are exceptional talents like Forsberg or Jones. So who knows if he has really been given a chance or not.

I'm not saying that he should be given a roster spot or anything like that. But I do expect him to come into training camp and make it difficult for Bednar to send him to Loveland. Anyone expecting a 50+ pts scoring forward is going to be disappointed, but in time I feel he could become a solid 3C option that can win faceoffs, play an all around game and produce 30ish points, and that's not really something to scoff at and a role the Avs could use after Soderberg moves on.

22 is typically too early to give up on a player and certainly on Kamenev... that said a lot of evidence points to peak NHL offensive production happens around the 22-25 range. As the league skews younger, the closer that is going to get to 22-23.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
tumblr_nb4mf2FuPF1rxuz1oo2_500.gif

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Point is his production even then was meh... it was 8 goals in last 30 regular season games (9 in 31 ;)), but also 9 in 40. In those last 30 games he had 2 whole assists. 10 points in 30 games. 6 of those points (5 goals) were on the power play where he was gifted time with MacK and Rants. Even strength, Jost had 4 points in his last 30 games. People have rightfully attacked Compher's production last year... Compher outscored Jost in general (granted 4 more games) and outscored him even strength. Not outside the realm of possibility that Compher's PP production would have been greater playing with MacK and Rants on the top unit making the difference even greater. There are positives you can take from Jost's end to the season, production really isn't one of them.

I should make it clear that I think Jost was a young rookie and he should get a complete pass on his point production. I'm just saying there isn't a real there to hang your hat on.
Compher was a total mess defensively, the worst on the team. He is also 3 years older.

I'm not worried about Jost's production , with better consistent linemates , it will come .

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Compher was a total mess defensively, the worst on the team. He is also 3 years older.

I'm not worried about Jost's production , with better consistent linemates , it will come .

Worst on the team is hyperbole...

I'm not worried about it either (said many times, in many threads Jost will be fine)... I'm just saying the positive sign you painted right there doesn't exist.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This was the first one I was able to watch, and Kvaca was much calmer than I expected. Especially in the third when San Jose spent a lot of time in the zone, a tip-in was the only thing that could beat him that period. Made a couple of great saves going left to right too tracking pucks across.

The only other input I have is that I'm not sure what else Saigeon would have to do to get a contract. I'm not exactly a fan of the pick still but he played in all situations and looked good. I was in favor of sending him back to Hamilton but I feel like that would be a waste considering that more depth for the Eagles is clearly something that's on Sakic's mind.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

You do realize that Compher was more than likely playing hurt. I mean he got injured twice, and I'm fairly positive he wasn't 100% the last half of last season. And you're really blowing his defensive struggles out of proportion. He wasn't amazing but I have seen worse players than him, at very minimum he gives 100% effort every night to help the team win which is more than some players.

I fully expect a more consistent year from Compher next season assuming he can manage to stay healthy.

Reactions: MarkT and McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Compher was a rookie tasked by Bednar to take on a huge defensive workload on a team that had no real go-to shutdown guy either up front or on the back end, and also two goalies who suffered major injuries during the season and were solid, but not exactly Vezina-caliber. And as someone else pointed out, he dealt with injuries practically all season. He was most definitely playing hurt a majority of the season. You could see he slowed down a lot as the year went on. But please, keep telling me he was the worst defensive player on the team...

Reactions: MarkT and klozge

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I thought Jost, Compher and Kerfoot were all horrendous defensively last year. I’m
Not worried about them or anything. They were rookies. Just adding to the conversation.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I thought Jost, Compher and Kerfoot were all horrendous defensively last year. I’m
Not worried about them or anything. They were rookies. Just adding to the conversation.
I agree, I'm not worried about any of them . All great work ethic and intelligent dudes .

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
You do realize that Compher was more than likely playing hurt. I mean he got injured twice, and I'm fairly positive he wasn't 100% the last half of last season. And you're really blowing his defensive struggles out of proportion. He wasn't amazing but I have seen worse players than him, at very minimum he gives 100% effort every night to help the team win which is more than some players.

I fully expect a more consistent year from Compher next season assuming he can manage to stay healthy.

I can confirm JTC was a bit banged up/worn down from game 60-ish onwards, but has that longer season under his belt and knows what to expect now, so I think we see a much better full year

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Injuries shouldn't be an excuse at all though. Every single player in the league will play at least a handful of games every season where they're banged up and not at 100%. It's just part of the game.

Now, a legit and perfectly fine excuse for them being lackluster defensively(And overall for that matter) would be the fact they were each playing there Rookie seasons last year, and getting used to that grind of the NHL schedule. But the injuries stuff is going to happen every year and they simply have to learn to push through that and keep playing at a consistently high level. If they cant do that they wont ever have success in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad