Prospect Info: Prospect Camp: Las Vegas Rookie Faceoff

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Benn I thought it was more of a work ethic issue, one huge reason why he was drafted so low. It's quite startling how quickly he fixed things in that regard. Didn't hear anything like that about Giroux but he wasn't exactly taken high either.

From what I understand there are quite a few top-tier junior players who will take a night off here and there. It's one reason I wasn't overly concerned about Wojtek Wolski...unfortunately the concerns about his work ethic were well-founded.

There was much more to it, but not really the time and place for it especially since it was 10 years ago. My overall point is that Merkley's issues were/are magnified to the point where everybody in the hockey world knows them and their full details. The kid has a huge microscope on him and quite honestly, there were much worse incidents with players in last year's draft that barely a peep was thrown out. It isn't that Merkley's issues are not there or not valid as they should bring some concern. It is more about knowing the context of it all and where it lies in the bigger picture. There was a player that immediately went on a do not draft list for me that people here wanted and those same people wouldn't want Merkley.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There was much more to it, but not really the time and place for it especially since it was 10 years ago. My overall point is that Merkley's issues were/are magnified to the point where everybody in the hockey world knows them and their full details. The kid has a huge microscope on him and quite honestly, there were much worse incidents with players in last year's draft that barely a peep was thrown out. It isn't that Merkley's issues are not there or not valid as they should bring some concern. It is more about knowing the context of it all and where it lies in the bigger picture. There was a player that immediately went on a do not draft list for me that people here wanted and those same people wouldn't want Merkley.

Well I know you're not gonna tell me who it is, but can you at least tell me if that kid's draft stock tumbled?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
If you can forgive Merkely for his issues, what sort of character issues are you not willing to forgive?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well I know you're not gonna tell me who it is, but can you at least tell me if that kid's draft stock tumbled?

A bit, but not an extreme amount. Probably could argue he still fell in the correct range. Teams always think talent wins out at a certain point.

If you can forgive Merkely for his issues, what sort of character issues are you not willing to forgive?

You’re making it sound like Merkley pulled a Watson or Heatley....

Everything is relative to talent. There are extremes that are unforgivable obviously... but in Merkley’s case his immaturity and coaching issues are overblown, but they certainly exist.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I do hope, FTR, that Merkley figures it out--I don't think he's a bad kid by any means, just a bit of a headcase. I played with plenty of those growing up. I'm a bit less-high on Ho-Sang's chances of making it, just because there's something very Robbie Schremp about him to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad