Prospect Info: Prospect Camp: Las Vegas Rookie Faceoff

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kaut, Kamenev, Kerfoot, Compher, Andrighetto and Jost. Oh boy, I just don't see the talent there to be a cup contending team's second liners. But sadly that's not what our front office thinks. No Skinner no nothing just those guys. Our only hope is that Ottawa pick. With our luck it's not a top ten pick so we will draft another third liner. Guess we are going to be a one line team for many years to come.
Everything is awful, Sakic sucks, fire Kroenke. Let's just hope we can draft Dahlin to fix the defense or all hope is lost.

Wait, is this not 2017?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kaut, Kamenev, Kerfoot, Compher, Andrighetto and Jost. Oh boy, I just don't see the talent there to be a cup contending team's second liners. But sadly that's not what our front office thinks. No Skinner no nothing just those guys. Our only hope is that Ottawa pick. With our luck it's not a top ten pick so we will draft another third liner. Guess we are going to be a one line team for many years to come.

Whether they stick as full time 2nd liners in the NHL is one thing, but just on a pure talent basis, Jost and Kerfoot are highly skilled players. Definitely top 6 worthy in terms of pure talent. Kamenev has pretty good puck skills himself too.

Personally I think Jost will be a good 2nd liner with skill. Kaut has the potential to fill more of that up and down winger, go to the net complimentary 2nd liner with a good shot. They're missing that 3rd guy I think, and how big an issue that will be depends on how good Jost can be, and if he can lock down center.

That's normal though for a team at this stage. They can address the second line as they put the finishing touches on this rebuild.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Everything is awful, Sakic sucks, fire Kroenke. Let's just hope we can draft Dahlin to fix the defense or all hope is lost.

Wait, is this not 2017?
I'm happy with our D and our goalies. Not happy at all with our forwards outside the top line and hopefully Jost(as a winger). And I am scared that Sakic really thinks that our current guys will grow enough to be a great secondary scoring guys.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm happy with our D and our goalies. Not happy at all with our forwards outside the top line and hopefully Jost(as a winger). And I am scared that Sakic really thinks that our current guys will grow enough to be a great secondary scoring guys.

Man. If only we had 2 draft picks in a deep forward heavy draft coming up :/

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Can we at least give these kids until TDL before starting saying we won't have a 2nd line for many years to come? Until then you might want to step back from the ledge. Lol

Reactions: McMetal

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Not to worry, Jack Hughes will fix the 2nd line issues Avs have

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
But all jokes aside.
I'm just disappointed in our rookie team. No one really stands out from that very gray team of "future avs".

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
But all jokes aside.
I'm just disappointed in our rookie team. No one really stands out from that very gray team of "future avs".

Are you being serious? I can't tell but also don't believe someone could be serious about such nonsense.

It was 2 completely meaningless games at the very beginning of camp. I'm not sure two more meaningless games will be played this year for the group of guys that played in it.

You're way, way, way overreacting to this.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I mean we are missing are 3 best players as well. You have to factor that in as well.
For sure. Or at least two. I believe in Makar and Timmins. I don't believe Bowers will be that second line center for us but I am glad if he proves me wrong. And Annunen, I believe he will be our number one goalie in the future. So it's not all dark :)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Finding skilled forwards has never been a big problem for the Avs. Finding good defenseman has always been THE problem. They usually only had one or two quality defenseman in a given year. They finally changed that last year with the addition of Girard, and Zadorov taking another step in his development.

The defense the Avs have now and going forward is miles ahead of what the Avs have had at any point in the last 13 years. The defense has always held the team back, no matter how many positive additions they made elsewhere. That should make people very optimistic that they are finally trending upwards as an organization.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't think there is any reason why somebody who has played zero professional games on small ice and a player who showed some flashes during an injury plagued rookie season can't become future secondary scoring. You're way too hot-takey on Jost and Kaut at this stage of their development, not to mention our abundance of lottery tickets in Shvyrev, Kamenev, Compher, Lewis, Kovalenko, Weiss, Bowers, Kerfoot, and Andrighetto, one or more of whom could grow into secondary scorers in their still-young careers. That's ignoring the one or more forwards we could draft in the first round in 2019.

This is still a rebuild. Maybe it's moving fatser than we thought, but we aren't all-in for the cup this year or next. There's plenty of time to add or develop impact players to the second line before we need to start making deep playoff runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkT

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Nah. That Ottawa pick and Barrie trade will get us that second line with Jost. Hopefully.

What about our pick? We have 2 1st rounders this year and a good draft that has tons of skilled forwards. This is a great draft to really revamp our forward depth. We shouldn’t worry about not being cup contenders yet. We still have a few seasons before that should even be a mentality of ours. I think it’s clear our drafting overall has increased a ton since Pracey left and that should fill the fan base with optimism going forward.

Plus the fact that we have Jost who should be a good top 6 player at W or C, and Kaut and Bowers who look like they’ll be fantastic middle 6 players with top 6 potential. And having those good middle 6 players is critical for deep playoff runs which I think has been obvious over the last decade or so. Obviously having elite talent is important as well and hopefully we have that in Mack and Rants.

Reactions: S E P H

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Why do people act like Jost had a bad rookie year in the least? It isn't nearly as bad as people make it to be. I don't see how he hasn't shown 2nd line capability in his time here.
I don't see it so much as people as 'person'. This one poster is just in a doomsday mindset.

Reactions: klozge

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don't see it so much as people as 'person'. This one poster is just in a doomsday mindset.
I guess I just see alot of Jost doubt lately. While I can understand debate about his ceiling he is the last prospect I'd worry about long term. He'll get it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I guess I just see alot of Jost doubt lately. While I can understand debate about his ceiling he is the last prospect I'd worry about long term. He'll get it.

My only relative doubt about Jost is if he can be a C long term. I think he’ll be a top 6 player in the league for sure. But whether that’s at W or C I have no clue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad