Prospect Info: Prospect Camp: Anaheim Rookie Faceoff

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Byram looked good yesterday, but I'm not sure he's in a position to stick with the team all season. That's not a knock on Bowen, he's just in that position where he COULD play in the NHL, but you don't pick a guy #4 overall to play 10-12 minutes a night either. I'm not sure if there's much more he can learn at the WHL level either, and I wish he could play a year in the SHL or something and really refine his game. He definitely has the potential to be special.

The other thing is, how huge would the comfort of having him on an additional 3-years, starting next year? Assuming he could step into a top-4 role next season, you could have a young, star defenseman making $925k for the full 3 years.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Byram looked good yesterday, but I'm not sure he's in a position to stick with the team all season. That's not a knock on Bowen, he's just in that position where he COULD play in the NHL, but you don't pick a guy #4 overall to play 10-12 minutes a night either. I'm not sure if there's much more he can learn at the WHL level either, and I wish he could play a year in the SHL or something and really refine his game. He definitely has the potential to be special.

The other thing is, how huge would the comfort of having him on an additional 3-years, starting next year? Assuming he could step into a top-4 role next season, you could have a young, star defenseman making $925k for the full 3 years.
True, I don't know how the Larger ice may impact him, but give him the 9 and go from there.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he deserves the 9 for sure but I don't think he should make the team until room is made for him.

This is where the whole "Juniors or NHL" rule is just plain stupid. He should be in the AHL.

AJ said on the BSN pod that Lewis was the only player in game 1 who stunk by his observation. Not a ton of praise for the Avs in game 2, but Rudo did think Shvyrev was okay, Beaucage got a nice goal, and Miner was not good, but he was also under siege the whole night because of a horrific defense.

It's so easy to get too hyped up or too low over these games, since it's pretty much the first hockey we're getting and it's the prospects. Truth of the matter is that the Avs stacked their first roster and did not do so the second time, and Vegas/Los Angeles did essentially the reverse.

I'm guessing this is the end of the line for Shvyrev and Lewis, and that's fine. A vast majority of your prospects will not pan out, those two were still players worth taking a flier on.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Byram already has an NHL contract. And no he can't play in the AHL unless it's a conditioning assignment

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If Byram makes the team he's going to have to do it playing nine games against CGY, MIN, BOS, ARZ, WSH, PIT, FLA, TBL, and STL.

A tall order for the kid. I hope he does it for the chaos factor of half our blue line under 21.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
If Byram makes the team he's going to have to do it playing nine games against CGY, MIN, BOS, ARZ, WSH, PIT, FLA, TBL, and STL.

A tall order for the kid. I hope he does it for the chaos factor of half our blue line under 21.
He could have his games spread out and not against the toughest teams with extra practice sprinkled in. Just being around the team could be good for him.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He could have his games spread out and not against the toughest teams with extra practice sprinkled in. Just being around the team could be good for him.
Being around the team for a long road trip early in the season could also be good for him to settle in

Reactions: Metallo

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well it is a business. Getting Byram for a Memorial Cup run or for its trade value is huge.

There's other ways to do this than hold a kid hostage for a year. A majority of the kids will still be sent back, it's just the truly elite ones who are way too good for juniors but not quite NHL-caliber will have a place to play.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And it is a stupid and antiquated rule. CHL would not suffer nearly as much as they fear if they let their players play in the AHL at age 19.

As stupid and antiquated as it is, it doesn't matter. CHL has the NHL by the nut hairs on this. The top developmental area has the power to dictate to not lose their top talent to a league (mostly) based in the US.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not surprised in the slightest that Minnesota is resorting to gooning it up since they have no one of note in their system.

I know this will be unpopular, but I think things like this are why these prospect tournaments may not be a good thing. These kids are trying to make a name for themselves in any way possible with NHL scouts and coaching staff eyes on them. They are going to go over line more often than they otherwise would. Only a matter of time before somebody gets seriously hurt from a dumb act.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
But dat shot!
HarmoniousMedicalKronosaurus-size_restricted.gif

But can he do a nut shot?

And think about if he didn't have it, would've not even been drafted.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
So so far it sounds like Beaucage, Lewis, Mutala are the worst players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad