Prospect Info: Prospect Camp: Anaheim Rookie Faceoff

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Hard to build good depth when you trade down (#58) to pick Annunen last year and then pick Stienburg at #63 this year. I mean come on.

The reason we are ranked this high with our prospect farm is because of the cream at the top. Other than that it's still not good and I'm not sure we're on the right way.
I like the Annunen pick, he looks like he will be a starting goalie this year in Finland and the starting goalie at the World Junior's.. i think.he has a big year and becomes a very good prospect

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hard to build good depth when you trade down (#58) to pick Annunen last year
That's a "talking out of your ass" post like you've done with Farabee in the past. I don't know how much I buy it, but some Finnish people say Annunen is going to be the starter for Karpat this year. He's already made the team (as a 19 year old) and has split the starts in the CL with Rybar posting 1.50 GAA and 9.35 S% in two games this season. He's also coming off a solid WJC summer showcase as well. Maybe he still fails, but to discredit him when he's clearly improved is very confusing.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So, in short, they should stop drafting for need and go BPA?:)

Under Pracey the Avs looked primarily for skill and BPA throughout the draft. When Sakic and Roy came in they identified the lack of depth and role players being drafted, and tried to target them in the later rounds.

So far they've pretty much failed at both approaches, with a few exceptions. I don't think the problem is their strategy, it's their inability to identify future NHLers outside the top of the 1st round.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's a "talking out of your ass" post like you've done with Farabee in the past. I don't know how much I buy it, but some Finnish people say Annunen is going to be the starter for Karpat this year. He's already made the team (as a 19 year old) and has split the starts in the CL with Rybar posting 1.50 GAA and 9.35 S% in two games this season. He's also coming off a solid WJC summer showcase as well. Maybe he still fails, but to discredit him when he's clearly improved is very confusing.

Farabee? That was out of the left field. Did you keep this card in your back pocket all year just to get it out at the right time? I've not mentioned his name since draft day 2018. He had a good year though, good for him.

As for Annunen I'm not discrediting the player, only the pick. Same with Stienburg.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Farabee? That was out of the left field. Did you keep this card in your back pocket all year just to get it out at the right time? I've not mentioned his name since draft day 2018. He had a good year though, good for him.

As for Annunen I'm not discrediting the player, only the pick. Same with Stienburg.
Not at all, I am not a vindictive person, I just remembered you have a weird dislike for him. You're going to have to explain about not discrediting the player, but not liking the pick? Are you saying that you don't think Annunen or Stienburg are bad players, but there are others you prefer?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not at all, I am not a vindictive person, I just remembered you have a weird dislike for him. You're going to have to explain about not discrediting the player, but not liking the pick? Are you saying that you don't think Annunen or Stienburg are bad players, but there are others you prefer?

I disliked Farabee (as a pick, not as a player) at the time because I saw him more as a "safe" pick and thought the Avs had to swing for the fences (which is obviously not what they did).

I didn't like the Annunen and Stienburg picks but that doesn't mean I won't like them as players. If Stienburg is turning into Jamie Benn it will still be a questionable pick but with an awesome result (which is possible). It's the opposite of when Ottawa picked Alexandre Daigle. Right pick, bad results.

With that said, it's unlikely but possible that the Avs know he will turn into Jamie Benn and thought he'd not be available in round #4. If that turns out to be the case then, well, I'm just plain wrong and he wasn't a bad pick. :laugh:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'd certainly agree with that, and it is because Makar didn't graduate when the Avs originally wanted him to and lucking out on Ottawa (and them delaying a year). I'd say the top of the pool is what matters the most though, if you routinely have 5 players who are in your pool who will be NHL players and 3 of them being impact while graduating 2 a year. It is good enough to sustain for a very long time. The Avs certainly have 5 and at least 3 impact, the question will become, can they keep up that level of pool to sustain?
If they can keep hitting on the late 1st round picks with players like Bowers or Timmins that would be success regardless of what happens after that in drafts, though naturally you'd love if they could also have some success with bringing a player through from rounds 2-7 each year as well.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This could be their BPA and me not understanding it... BPA is relative and every team has it different. I just really don't understand their strategy. I can usually pick apart different teams and figure out, some sense of what they are doing. I actually know how a few teams operate and pool their lists (they all follow a modified BPA sort of idea). Avs are an odd duck, Dallas and Edmonton also confuse me.

I think you alluded to them focusing on one pro-level skill (ex: Beaucage's shot) and thinking they can hone that into a whole NHL player.

I thought for a while they very clearly changed their strategy and quit targeting low-ceiling grinders and two-way players (and some goons) and went for high-risk/high-reward players, but as you said only, like, two guys really fit that bill. So I too am also at a bit of a loss as to where they're going in terms of drafting strategy. I'm wondering if Parnass is having any say in their drafting/development of if Hepple is even open to analytics. The Leafs are clearly analytics-driven and their last draft had them draft almost exclusively high-skill-but-undersized players.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If they can keep hitting on the late 1st round picks with players like Bowers or Timmins that would be success regardless of what happens after that in drafts, though naturally you'd love if they could also have some success with bringing a player through from rounds 2-7 each year as well.

Well, not to be pedantic but remember that they didn't draft Bowers. Ottawa, which actually does draft pretty well, did.

Apart from Kaut and Timmins, I can't recall a single late first or second round pick under Hepple who's really stood out.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton

We didnt even draft Bowers though lol.

Reactions: AvsGuy

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think you alluded to them focusing on one pro-level skill (ex: Beaucage's shot) and thinking they can hone that into a whole NHL player.

I thought for a while they very clearly changed their strategy and quit targeting low-ceiling grinders and two-way players (and some goons) and went for high-risk/high-reward players, but as you said only, like, two guys really fit that bill. So I too am also at a bit of a loss as to where they're going in terms of drafting strategy. I'm wondering if Parnass is having any say in their drafting/development of if Hepple is even open to analytics. The Leafs are clearly analytics-driven and their last draft had them draft almost exclusively high-skill-but-undersized players.

I’d say a few of the selections point to stats as a big driver. Beaucage, Burzan, Shvy, Henry, Timmins and Shamkov all look to have heavy stats influence. And stats doesn’t always have to mean small and skilled. Arizona is heavy in the that area and don’t draft that way often yet you can make strong arguments to their stats bias.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’d say a few of the selections point to stats as a big driver. Beaucage, Burzan, Shvy, Henry, Timmins and Shamkov all look to have heavy stats influence. And stats doesn’t always have to mean small and skilled. Arizona is heavy in the that area and don’t draft that way often yet you can make strong arguments to their stats bias.

I'm still a little wary of just how stats-savvy Chayka actually is. He does some super-weird at the draft and I'm not sure if it'll pan out. He could've easily taken a potential franchise defenseman in Hughes but opted for Hayton, then traded up (when most said he didn't even have to) to take Soderstrom the following season. He could've stayed where he was and taken Caufield or Krebs. But even that aside, a few in the stats community question his logic when it comes to personnel decisions.

Of course Yzerman is supposedly very stats-savvy and you can tell once he locks in on a player, he gets him no matter what.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm still a little wary of just how stats-savvy Chayka actually is. He does some super-weird at the draft and I'm not sure if it'll pan out. He could've easily taken a potential franchise defenseman in Hughes but opted for Hayton, then traded up (when most said he didn't even have to) to take Soderstrom the following season. He could've stayed where he was and taken Caufield or Krebs. But even that aside, a few in the stats community question his logic when it comes to personnel decisions.

Of course Yzerman is supposedly very stats-savvy and you can tell once he locks in on a player, he gets him no matter what.

I’ve always said public vs private stats are different and there is different logic that come from it. Whether or not people agree doesn’t mean it isn’t a big part. I can just as easily state how important a #1C is statistically to a team and Hayton projects to be a very solid one. I think everybody here knows I’d have selected Hughes, but I get the Hayton pick completely. Makes a ton of sense.

Yzerman uses stats and will integrate them, but how much he does is actually played up. Especially when you’re talking about prospect scouting.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Well, not to be pedantic but remember that they didn't draft Bowers. Ottawa, which actually does draft pretty well, did.

Apart from Kaut and Timmins, I can't recall a single late first or second round pick under Hepple who's really stood out.

We didnt even draft Bowers though lol.
Yeah I'm aware that we didn't draft Bowers, though I can see why it might have seemed that I was suggesting that we did.

Regardless of who drafted them, the fact is that both Bowers and Timmins were late 1sts (Timmins was technically a 2nd rounder), and so I mentioned them as the type of players (talent wise) that we should hopefully be able to draft late in the 1st round each year (if we have our 1st still).

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Regardless of who drafted them, the fact is that both Bowers and Timmins were late 1sts (Timmins was technically a 2nd rounder), and so I mentioned them as the type of players (talent wise) that we should hopefully be able to draft late in the 1st round each year (if we have our 1st still).

Let's hope so. The Avs should finally be in that place for a little while where they are indeed drafting late in the 1st, so Hepple's big litmus test (as far as I'm concerned) is coming up.

I'm still extremely concerned that this organization finally admitted they were drafting like garbage and the only major move they made was to get rid of one guy and promote one of the scouts who worked for him. The director of player development who hasn't really developed any players is somehow still in charge. A major overhaul would've been the better move...but that said, I'm not convinced Hepple isn't the guy, I'm just not convinced that he is.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I liked Bowen Byram (D, Colorado) a lot for the Avs. He was clearly the best pure skater at the tournament and made some very impressive offensive plays. A poll of scouts at the tournament was about a 50/50 split on if he was NHL ready or not.

Players whose skating looked at least a little quicker to me at the camps: Martin Kaut (COL), Isac Lundestrom (ANA), Nick Robertson (TOR), Taro Hirose (DET), Valentin Nussbaumer (ARI), Nate Schnarr (ARI), Alexandre Texier (CBJ) and Riley Damiani (DAL).

Conor Timmins (D, Colorado) played his first competitive hockey in over a year. He wasn’t a top player, but he looked solid, showing the great decision making and well-rounded toolkit that made him such a good prospect as an amateur. It’s a week at a time for a player who missed so much time due to a concussion, but I liked the first step he took.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->