Prospect Info: Prospect Camp: Anaheim Rookie Faceoff

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know this will be unpopular, but I think things like this are why these prospect tournaments may not be a good thing. These kids are trying to make a name for themselves in any way possible with NHL scouts and coaching staff eyes on them. They are going to go over line more often than they otherwise would. Only a matter of time before somebody gets seriously hurt from a dumb act.

But do we see a lot of gooning it up though? I didn't get that impression from these last two games the Avs were involved in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So so far it sounds like Beaucage, Lewis, Mutala are the worst players?
Today or the entire tournament? Beaucage has had a lot of bad moments, but he did have a nice goal. Lewis has looked good, but didn't play the last game. I think Mutala is getting an unfair treatment here, a lot of the invites or AHL contracts looked worse than him such as Larocque, Barlage, and whoever else was in that 6-1 loss against Kings. The best player in that game was Burzan and not sure that means a lot either.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Today or the entire tournament? Beaucage has had a lot of bad moments, but he did have a nice goal. Lewis has looked good, but didn't play the last game. I think Mutala is getting an unfair treatment here, a lot of the invites or AHL contracts looked worse than him such as Larocque, Barlage, and whoever else was in that 6-1 loss against Kings.

AJ in the last BSN Pod said Lewis was the only player he would label "bad" in that first game. Just what I heard, I couldn't confirm or refute that assertion.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
But do we see a lot of gooning it up though? I didn't get that impression from these last two games the Avs were involved in.

As these grow and more fringes try to impress, it will happen more and more, but yeah it does happen. Preseason is way more gooned up than regular season... these kids will treat these the same in time. Sucks, but when professional livelihood is on the line, many will go too far.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Beaucage scored in that 6-1 loss, so surely he gets a slightly higher grade, no?
He had a nice goal, but as I mentioned a couple days ago, whenever he gets the puck in any zone that isn't the offensive zone he tries to immediately get rid of it as fast as the laws of thermodynamics allows him to. He was responsible for Coyotes goal in the first period as well doing the same mistake.

Now perhaps you have a better hockey brain than I do, but I cannot think of a single NHL player who conducts this type of aspect ever make the NHL. Yes, we all know he's a terrible skater, but he also knows it too and plays a very timid non-possessive game because of it. He has talent, but exacerbates his weaknesses in the way he plays the game.
AJ in the last BSN Pod said Lewis was the only player he would label "bad" in that first game. Just what I heard, I couldn't confirm or refute that assertion.
He's entitled to his opinion, but I don't think anybody looked truly bad in that first game. Some players let off the gas and I think that's what happened more than anything else. He definitely was not part of that brigade though, I thought Davis and Mutala were the two that probably had a "bad" label towards the end, but both had positive ratings from me if you factor in the entire game. I actually thought Lewis was one of the better forwards so take that for what you will.

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
If one thing is clear, it's that Josh Anderson will never play an NHL regular season game. Guy is absolutely terrible for a 3rd round pick 3 years ago.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Cant find the score anywhere, are the Avs getting killed again?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If one thing is clear, it's that Josh Anderson will never play an NHL regular season game. Guy is absolutely terrible for a 3rd round pick 3 years ago.
Another thing will also be clear, the Eagles will once again have a brutal powerplay. Absolutely no structure or chemistry out there. I think the rookies are like 1-10 in this tourney thus far, might be worse than that.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Another thing will also be clear, the Eagles will once again have a brutal powerplay. Absolutely no structure or chemistry out there.

Well to be fair, it's a bunch of kids, most have never played together. Have to wait until the season starts to determine whether the PP sucks.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know this will be unpopular, but I think things like this are why these prospect tournaments may not be a good thing. These kids are trying to make a name for themselves in any way possible with NHL scouts and coaching staff eyes on them. They are going to go over line more often than they otherwise would. Only a matter of time before somebody gets seriously hurt from a dumb act.

It's no different than pre-season really. The same concern applies to those games. If not more so with AHLers trying to make a name for themelves against kids.

Playing the rookies in this format allows the organization to evaluate them amongst their peers, and they can use the majority of pre-season for getting the NHLers in game shape.

This allows them to play less pre-season games, which the players like, and the owners like as well because it saves them money.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't think these tournaments are even for evaluation, sure some players get cut, but I don't understand that by certain teams other than the Avs.

I always saw these tournaments - in the perspective of an Avs fan - as getting the rookies up to speed to be able to compete and challenge against the pros during training camp.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think these tournaments are even for evaluation, sure some players get cut, but I don't understand that by certain teams other than the Avs.

I always saw these tournaments - in the perspective of an Avs fan - as getting the rookies up to speed to be able to compete and challenge against the pros during training camp.

Yeah it think it's a little of both. It's clearly not just a dev camp scrimmage. The games are fairly competitive, which means the players are under the impression from their agents or coaches that they should showcase themselves a bit.

It's an extension of pre-season, so they don't have to bring as many rookies there, and play as many games as they used to, where they'd scratch the vets and play mostly prospects one game, and then mostly vets the next. It's a lot cheaper this way.

Teams have been cutting down on that and using this instead. The Avs didn't do these until recently, and they used to play a lot of pre-season games.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Anderson had enough and just dropped the gloves with Janik. Edges out the win too with some nice uppercuts and bloodies the nose of Janik. Good message sending for the rest of the period to cut the crap out. Props to Anderson. :thumbu:

Last edited:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
tenor.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Anderson steps in and holds guys while Kaut is mixing it up. Then Anderson gives a little tap to the back of the head of a Yotes player and gets punched fairly hard in the nose in return. Then Janik slashes the stick out of Andersons hand from the bench.

Avs end up on the PK somehow and Cronin loses it on the ref.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad