Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Doesn't the swapping out of JVR and Komarov with Johnsson and Kapanen gloss over the fact we got Leivo in the line up? There's these two guys and then there's guys like Grundstrom they can make an impact as soon as next year.

This is because people completely ignore how the players play. Johnsson and Kapanen do not offer the size and edgework that Lievo does. The team would be better served by moving Nylander into Bozak's place (protected scoring line) and then placing Kapanen or Johnsson at Matthew's side. Lievo combined with Nylander and either Kapanen or Johnsson would be quite a versatile scoring line to play against weaker opposition.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't think there's another franchise in the league who would care so little about a prospect like Bracco as we seem to. We are just blessed with more offensive talent than we know what to do with

Reactions: LeafChief

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
This is because people completely ignore how the players play. Johnsson and Kapanen do not offer the size and edgework that Lievo does. The team would be better served by moving Nylander into Bozak's place (protected scoring line) and then placing Kapanen or Johnsson at Matthew's side. Lievo combined with Nylander and either Kapanen or Johnsson would be quite a versatile scoring line to play against weaker opposition.

Kapanen is 1 inch smaller and 20 pounds lighter than leivo and is by far the best skater in the leafs organization

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Kapanen is 1 inch smaller and 20 pounds lighter than leivo and is by far the best skater in the leafs organization
Plus he can kill penalties like Komarov. Then again, I'm liking Johnsson's game this year and the similarities to Connor Brown. Truth be told though, I think Babcock wants to see if Soshnikov can be Komarov 2.0. But it might just be a means of not listing him for nothing. For what it's worth, both Komarov and JVR are considerable defensive and offensive talents, and replacing them with AHLers with limited NHL experience seems a little risky.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Plus he can kill penalties like Komarov. Then again, I'm liking Johnsson's game this year and the similarities to Connor Brown. Truth be told though, I think Babcock wants to see if Soshnikov can be Komarov 2.0. But it might just be a means of not listing him for nothing. For what it's worth, both Komarov and JVR are considerable defensive and offensive talents, and replacing them with AHLers with limited NHL experience seems a little risky.

Next season those AHLers still don't have NHL experience, at some point to get NHL experience you need to play in the NHL. I hope they aren't resigning any of JVR, Komarov or Bozak and that will likely mean 2 or 3 AHLers will need to come in without NHL experience

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Next season those AHLers still don't have NHL experience, at some point to get NHL experience you need to play in the NHL. I hope they aren't resigning any of JVR, Komarov or Bozak and that will likely mean 2 or 3 AHLers will need to come in without NHL experience
Yeah you're right. If the Leafs management is going to claim that they are using the AHL as a means of player development, then there's no reason not to use the players. I guess the real obstacle is the coach himself who relies heavily on veterans. I'm going to assume that guys with some NHL experience like Leivo and Soshnikov are going to have the inside track to an NHL job.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Marlies promo code CYBERMONDAY18 gets you 50% off tickets for I think all home games in next month

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
SO happy to hear Grundstrom's knee surgery went better than the doctor's believed it would, 4-6 weeks is unreal good fortune, compared to out for the season, we dodged a bullet! Glad it wasn't as bad as originally thought.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Yes, and because of this he plays a very different game than Lievo. I think he would be better suited replacing Nylander on Matthews RW, than JVR on the protected scoring line's LW.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I don't think there's another franchise in the league who would care so little about a prospect like Bracco as we seem to. We are just blessed with more offensive talent than we know what to do with

It's more that our fanbase overrates guys like Bracco and thinks he's a unique prospect. Meanwhile every team has a couple of similar guys, and are just not as overconfident as to what they will turn into.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Leivo doesn't have the hands or skating ability to be a premium scorer.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
SO happy to hear Grundstrom's knee surgery went better than the doctor's believed it would, 4-6 weeks is unreal good fortune, compared to out for the season, we dodged a bullet! Glad it wasn't as bad as originally thought.
Any link to this?

I just did a quick google search and don't see anything other than a PPP article from yesterday.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I see Middleton has 14 points in 20 games

He's making it interesting about getting himself an ELC at the end of the season

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Leafs are not shy about using ELC's on European free agents, our young drafted kids need to step up and really earn an ELC from this team. Leafs are in a good spot now :thumbu:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yes, and because of this he plays a very different game than Lievo. I think he would be better suited replacing Nylander on Matthews RW, than JVR on the protected scoring line's LW.
Think these are the best lines:

Leivo-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Aaltonen/Goat-Hyman

1 Rookie/Former pressbox on each line, could switch Leivo & Johnsson in above lines

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Leivo doesn't have the hands or skating ability to be a premium scorer.
it's likely that none of our remaining prospects have the tools to be premium scorers, but that's not what we'll need of our remaining prospects - we'll need some replacement complimentary pieces.

I don't understand why people keep wanting to write this kid off prematurely - in case you weren't watching the other night, here's the clip of his goal:

I'll head off the next comment which will be "anyone can cherrypick" - he's below both Carolina Dmen when Borgman gets the puck, then flat out beats them down the ice, changes the angle on Ward and buries opposite top corner with a release that only 2 other Leafs have (Matthews, Nylander), maybe 3 if we're really lucky (Kapanen). It's not "premium player or bust", there's a whole lot of in between

Reactions: Gary Nylund

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The sad part about that Orlando goal is that is pretty much all of Orlando's good players: Piccinich, Novak, Dupuy, Winquist, Dzierkals, Valleau. Pospisil would be in that list as well, and there are some guys you could argue are better than Dupuy on that team, but for the most part that's it for them. There's a reason why they are doing crap... Those guys are good ECHLers and many of them should be in the AHL right now, but there shouldn't be a huge drop off from them and there should be some guys who play better than them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad