Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
he certainly has the hands.
I have to wonder where people think the help is coming from.
If Bozak/JVR/Komarov = UFA and gone, then if Leivo doesn't have the skating/hands, Bracco is overrated, Kappy/Johnsson/Timo/etc., fall into the meh category, who exactly is supporting this lineup?
So don't trade the soon to be UFAs because nobody can replace them but when they walk we have nobody who can replace them. Maybe you can't get premium return for these players but if you can get bridge/contingency players who can play in the NHL vs. what we have that can maybe play in the NHL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If Bozak/JVR/Komarov = UFA and gone, then if Leivo doesn't have the skating/hands, Bracco is overrated, Kappy/Johnsson/Timo/etc., fall into the meh category, who exactly is supporting this lineup?
So don't trade the soon to be UFAs because nobody can replace them but when they walk we have nobody who can replace them. Maybe you can't get premium return for these players but if you can get bridge/contingency players who can play in the NHL vs. what we have that can maybe play in the NHL.

No worries - Kapanen, Leivo, Sosh, Grundstrom and maybe even johnsson/korshkov is enviable young winger depth.

Would be nice if Timo/Bracco joined that group but I'm skeptical.

Reactions: hullsy47

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
No worries - Kapanen, Leivo, Sosh, Grundstrom and maybe even johnsson/korshkov is enviable young winger depth.

Would be nice if Timo/Bracco joined that group but I'm skeptical.

I'll agree to all, save Sosh. I just don't see what this kid brings to the table. People talk about him being a replacement for Komarov, eh, that he possesses a good shot and I ask why, what evidence suggests that other than a just over .5 PPG in the AHL in 15/16. He likes to bang, but at his size is regularly outmuscled by bigger Dmen and appears to have a bit of the injury bug. I'm hoping Timo continues to show his stuff as I believe he's not only a better playmaker, but a better scorer too.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'll agree to all, save Sosh. I just don't see what this kid brings to the table. People talk about him being a replacement for Komarov, eh, that he possesses a good shot and I ask why, what evidence suggests that other than a just over .5 PPG in the AHL in 15/16. He likes to bang, but at his size is regularly outmuscled by bigger Dmen and appears to have a bit of the injury bug. I'm hoping Timo continues to show his stuff as I believe he's not only a better playmaker, but a better scorer too.

IMO being fast, gritty, with a good shot should be enough to make him a viable NHler, though he's no lock.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Of the ufa's mentioned I think JVR's production would be the hardest to replace and of the prospects mentioned Kapanen would be the most likely to be able to do that.
My thoughts are that Nylander and Marner will replace Bozak JVR and the other pieces will be used to fill the spaces. It will change the team dynamic for the better imo. We would be better defensively and still capable offensively.
Grunstrom could be komarov hopefully with a little more skill. Kapanen could replace could become a 2 way JVR lite (offensively)
:dunno:
We don't need them all to hit but that would be a bonus.
Possibly
Hyman Matthews Marner
Grundstrom Nylander Kapanen
Johnsson Kadri Brown
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Borgman Dermott

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Of the ufa's mentioned I think JVR's production would be the hardest to replace and of the prospects mentioned Kapanen would be the most likely to be able to do that.
My thoughts are that Nylander and Marner will replace Bozak JVR and the other pieces will be used to fill the spaces. It will change the team dynamic for the better imo. We would be better defensively and still capable offensively.
Grunstrom could be komarov hopefully with a little more skill. Kapanen could replace could become a 2 way JVR lite (offensively)
:dunno:
Possibly
Hyman Matthews Marner
Johnsson Kadri Brown
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Borgman Dermott
For me the most important hit is Dermott/Lily.
We can get away with inserting forwards like (eg. Grabner,another Hyman or Brown,defensive player/Marlies) and be alright with Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Kadri/Marleau. But we really need those two D to be top 4.

Reactions: 3headeddragon

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We can get away with inserting forwards like (eg. Grabner,another Hyman or Brown,defensive player/Marlies) and be alright with Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Kadri/Marleau. But we really need those two D to be top 4.
Agreed there completely and it's looking good for them.
I wonder what is in store for the future on the D. If we really bringing Ozhiganov our defense in 2 years could be so different.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I don't think there's another franchise in the league who would care so little about a prospect like Bracco as we seem to. We are just blessed with more offensive talent than we know what to do with

DeBrincat
It's more that our fanbase overrates guys like Bracco and thinks he's a unique prospect. Meanwhile every team has a couple of similar guys, and are just not as overconfident as to what they will turn into.

I'm sure the Hawks would flip DeBrincat for Bracco, in a battle of 2nd rounder's.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Dermott and Liljegren would be huge if they pan out. I’d also like to see continued growth from Rielly and Zaitsev. I see that as just as important.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Good to see andreas taking a step. He'll be a leaf next year. That's a mikeyg guarantee.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
:dunno:unless the OEL FOR NYLANDER rumor is true then u try to resign jvr
Possibly
Hyman Matthews Marner
Johnsson Kadri Brown
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Borgman Dermott

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
they can ask for whatever they like, Ill take Dermott everyday of the week over a 5'7" scoring winger we have way more than enough of those and he is a RW as well

I'll also take the big 6'4 power forward with some skill over another small skilled winger as well ;)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'll also take the big 6'4 power forward with some skill over another small skilled winger as well ;)

eh id take a 1st round pick for our staff to use over a 6'4" "power" forward who has no defensive awareness, at least for any longer than this season

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
they can ask for whatever they like, Ill take Dermott everyday of the week over a 5'7" scoring winger we have way more than enough of those and he is a RW as well

So you would take a 2o-year-old AHL prospect over a 19-year old that is 2nd in points and is a goal scorer for the hawks in the "NHL"? lol
/end

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
So you would take a 2o-year-old AHL prospect over a 19-year old that is 2nd in points and is a goal scorer for the hawks in the "NHL"? lol
/end

do I already have mitch marner, connor brown, William nylander in my NHL side? if yes then absolutely ill take all 3 of them over DeBrincat on RW. Dermott is trending toward a top4 D in the NHL he is really good and in an area where we are weakest.

/end

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Right now the Leafs have the most goal scored in the league. They are not to great, however, in the goals prevented department. Right now its looking like between Bozak/JVR/Komarov these three will score around 50 goals this year. Lievo has demonstrated that he can produce as a complimentary player. Kappanen scored 4 goals in 14 games in the NHL last year and has been scoring at a 40 goal per season average in the AHL for a year and a half. Johnson is scoring the same clip in the AHL for almost a year. All three are regarded as far better 2 ways players at this point than JVR (just offense), Komarov (just defense), and Bozak (neither). Its reasonable to suggest that Leivo, Johnsson and Kappanen can score 50 goals a season as complimentary players alongside Matthews, Marleau, Kadri, Nylander and Marner. And its also reasonable to suggest they will provide better two way play than the veterans they will be replacing - two of which have showed marked decline and will likely decline even more next year. Plus they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the players they will replace, leaving more money to shore up the defense, which is what the team is far more in need of than a one dimensional goal scorer and a pair of marginal players on the wrong side of 30.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
do I already have mitch marner, connor brown, William nylander in my NHL side? if yes then absolutely ill take all 3 of them over DeBrincat on RW. Dermott is trending toward a top4 D in the NHL he is really good and in an area where we are weakest.

/end

Makes a lot of blunders with the biscuit.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
What happened FreeBird? You don't seem to be posting in the Prospects/Marlies thread as much anymore? Or anywhere around here for that matter.

It must be... oh... I know why.

You can only watch the Smurf Squad so much, good example is Soshy leads the team in scoring but watches the games from the press box in the NHL. 5'8" 170.lbs will only get you so far.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Makes a lot of blunders with the biscuit.
And Debrincat gets pushed off the puck way to often
Dermott doesnt make many errors but sure keep being upset at a leafs prospect.
Dermott top 4 d man>decent top 6 small winger DeBrincat

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You can only watch the Smurf Squad so much, good example is Soshy leads the team in scoring but watches the games from the press box in the NHL. 5'8" 170.lbs will only get you so far.

I rather watch a smurf squad that wins and has great prospects than a team like the Rocket.
Just saying:)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ya unlike all the other prospect through out history that do well in the ahl but can't make the NHL. Sosh is such an anomaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad