Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Baun should be a good addition to the Marlies. Wish Rychel and Valiev luck in a system where they could actually be something. They have earned the shot they'd never get here.

I expect Baun to replace much of Rychel's size and offense, but should be a better two-way player. He's a bit older, but that does not matter. Could be a two-way contract in it for him next year if he shows well. Smith and Greening may get legitimate NHL interest this summer so the Marlies may need guys like Baun to replace them.

Reactions: saltming

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It's a given we need more size, but we need top 6pf or top 4d who can play. We have lots of skill, not much grit that play minutes.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
JVR, Bozak, Moore, and Komarov = 4 spots available for next fall. Aaltonen is more of a 4C at the next level and his only competition is Gauthier.

Johnsson will absolutely fill one of those holes as he's the most NHL ready today and should be on the roster. Korshkov has stated he's coming over to NA in 2018-19, so he and Grundstrom will almost certainly play 1 season with the Marlies before getting a look. That gives Leivo time to prove himself.

Watching Grundstrom in the playoffs with the Marlies last season proved just how well his style is going to translate to the North American game. 3 goals in 6 games, most of which game from in tight around the crease. Future looks bright.

dakota joshua is actually in the mix imo, and has gauthier's size, has been playing with men and better stick handling and shooting than puzzles.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
dakota joshua is actually in the mix imo, and has gauthier's size, has been playing with men and better stick handling and shooting than puzzles.
Not quite goat sized but he's a big kid for sure. Skates better than goat too and agreed about all the other stuff you said.
Could see him as our 4th line C down the road. He's a catalyst for the buckeyes right now

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Most likely Baun replaces Rychel and they either just roll with 7D, acquire one in a depth swap (could use Kaskisuo or Piccinich for example), or call up Gudbranson from the ECHL.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Dermott and Kapanen loaned to the Marlies (and then recalled).

Gets them down in time for the AHL playoff roster deadline, so in case the Marlies go farther than the Leafs do in the playoffs, we can send Dermott and Kaps down to help them.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Dermott and Kapanen loaned to the Marlies (and then recalled).

Gets them down in time for the AHL playoff roster deadline, so in case the Marlies go farther than the Leafs do in the playoffs, we can send Dermott and Kaps down to help them.
Almost seems unfair if they get those two.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Almost seems unfair if they get those two.

When you're as good as the Marlies, there is some pretty diminishing returns on further improvement. There's only so much puck to go around, they'll bump good players out of the lineup, etc.

They can't get much better than they are.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
When you're as good as the Marlies, there is some pretty diminishing returns on further improvement. There's only so much puck to go around, they'll bump good players out of the lineup, etc.

They can't get much better than they are.

LW Andreas Johnsson – C Miro Aaltonen – RW Ben Smith
LW Trevor Moore – C Chris Mueller – RW Dmytro Timashov
LW Colin Greening – C Frederik Gauthier – RW Kyle Baun
LW Mason Marchment – C Adam Brooks – RW Jeremy Bracco

LD Andreas Borgman – RD Timothy Liljegren
LD Martin Marincin – RD Justin Holl
LD Andrew Nielsen – RD Joe LoVerde
LD Calle Rosen

You could find a spot for them, but then you are bumping out another quality player out of the full time lineup.

Bolded are pending UFA's or RFA's who may not be qualified (Marincin). Additionally, Gauthier, Johnsson, Borgman and Aaltonen are candidates for promotion next year. I think with his injury, Aaltonen may be given the Gauthier treatment (which is fine since he's waiver exempt for another year anyways) but otherwise:

Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Korshkov (assuming they do come over)
Moore-Mueller-Timashov
Marchment-Brooks-Bracco
???-UFA-???
???/???

??? Candidates: LW/RW Vlad Bobylev, LW Nolan Vesey, RW JJ Piccinich, LW/RW Martins Dzierkals, LW/RW Nikita Korostelev, RW/C Kristian Pospisil, UFA's, LW/RW Rich Clune, LW/C Jean Dupuy (all of these guys would be on AHL contracts except maybe the UFA's).

Rosen-Liljegren
Nielsen-LoVerde
???-Holl
???-???

??? Candidates: UFA's, LD Keaton Middleton (ELC candidate), RD Nicolas Mattinen (ELC candidate), LD/RD Martin Marincin (tendered a deal; he has been a rock for the Marlies and would be great depth as much as people cringe about him but I could see him traded this offseason as well),

And absolutely nothing guaranteed in net, since both Sparks and Pickard may be dealt this offseason or claimed off of waivers, and Kaskisuo may not stick around (even though he has been solid on a 'meh' team).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
See a lot of rave reviews on Fedor Gordeev...stat line doesn't jump out, truly a product of a bad team?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
See a lot of rave reviews on Fedor Gordeev...stat line doesn't jump out, truly a product of a bad team?

Well Flint is *** so possibly?

Apparently Flint fans say he's trash, but then again he's their only good defenseman now that Mattinen is gone so I find that hard to believe.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well Flint is *** so possibly?

Apparently Flint fans say he's trash, but then again he's their only good defenseman now that Mattinen is gone so I find that hard to believe.

I am only going by a few things i've seen on twitter and the Athletic.

horner

May 22, 2007
LW Andreas Johnsson – C Miro Aaltonen – RW Ben Smith
LW Trevor Moore – C Chris Mueller – RW Dmytro Timashov
LW Colin Greening – C Frederik Gauthier – RW Kyle Baun
LW Mason Marchment – C Adam Brooks – RW Jeremy Bracco

LD Andreas Borgman – RD Timothy Liljegren
LD Martin Marincin – RD Justin Holl
LD Andrew Nielsen – RD Joe LoVerde
LD Calle Rosen

You could find a spot for them, but then you are bumping out another quality player out of the full time lineup.

Bolded are pending UFA's or RFA's who may not be qualified (Marincin). Additionally, Gauthier, Johnsson, Borgman and Aaltonen are candidates for promotion next year. I think with his injury, Aaltonen may be given the Gauthier treatment (which is fine since he's waiver exempt for another year anyways) but otherwise:

Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Korshkov (assuming they do come over)
Moore-Mueller-Timashov
Marchment-Brooks-Bracco
???-UFA-???
???/???

??? Candidates: LW/RW Vlad Bobylev, LW Nolan Vesey, RW JJ Piccinich, LW/RW Martins Dzierkals, LW/RW Nikita Korostelev, RW/C Kristian Pospisil, UFA's, LW/RW Rich Clune, LW/C Jean Dupuy (all of these guys would be on AHL contracts except maybe the UFA's).

Rosen-Liljegren
Nielsen-LoVerde
???-Holl
???-???

??? Candidates: UFA's, LD Keaton Middleton (ELC candidate), RD Nicolas Mattinen (ELC candidate), LD/RD Martin Marincin (tendered a deal; he has been a rock for the Marlies and would be great depth as much as people cringe about him but I could see him traded this offseason as well),

And absolutely nothing guaranteed in net, since both Sparks and Pickard may be dealt this offseason or claimed off of waivers, and Kaskisuo may not stick around (even though he has been solid on a 'meh' team).
One thing that our depth chart shows is that we have no cenerman in the system.
If we don't build that up, we will be giving away 2nd Rd pks at the deadline every year.
Draft or trade our wing depth for young up and coming prospects.

Maybe Aaltonen

Reactions: Jeypic

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I am only going by a few things i've seen on twitter and the Athletic.
I watched a flint game not long ago and gordeev looked like he had a great package! Can really fly for a big man and skates the puck well! I left impressed. Only flashes though it needs to be more refined, defensive side needs a little work but not a total raw awkward lanky big dman like you may think looking at his height/weight.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
which of our big guys are done with jnr at the end of this year? Mattinen is 20 in march so he will have to go to AHL? (or ECHL I guess too). Middelton turned 20 last month be interesting to see if they can make the marlies

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
In the SHL are only primary assists counted or am I mistaking that for something else?

Either way, Grundstrom has had very solid production for a late 2nd rounder and 13 goals in 29 games is impressive.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
In the SHL are only primary assists counted or am I mistaking that for something else?

Either way, Grundstrom has had very solid production for a late 2nd rounder and 13 goals in 29 games is impressive.

I think they only count 2nd assists if it is a direct result in goal. So a dman who makes an outlet pass and after some cycling his team scores they don't get a assist. Also if say grundstrom passed to a fellow forward and he goes in 2 on 1 and pass the puck back and forth with the other forward the 2nd assist isn't awarded. They do give them but it pretty much has to obviously a direct cause of the goal

Reactions: Stand Witness
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad