Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Who do you guys think is better going into next season, Andreas Johnsson or Josh Leivo? Lets say they were fighting for a spot in the top 9 and only one of them could take it, who do you think does?
Leivo has proven more but if Johnsson translates his game to the nhl I would give him the nod over Leivo
Better 2 way game and skater but it's a close race for sure

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Is Garret Sparks an NHL goalie? posting incredible numbers this season, albeit on a very good Toronto Marlies team. Is it time he becomes the Leafs backup with eyes on the starting job?
He will not steal the starter spot for Andersen. Mayne we could flip him later for something.
Sparks will have to get another cup of coffee to be sure if he's an NHL goalie atm I still see him as a drew McIntyre

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I've had this before, no fun. It's not debilitating by any means, but man it's annoying and nagging.
I'm not really sure what it is to be honest. I just feel bad because he's on fire right now and was probably on the brink of getting a shot

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
We have more openings at LW so Leivo. Only chance Johnsson plays up in the lineup is (barring any major changes) if Kapanen slides over to the left side, Nylander moves to C..or if Johnsson himself plays the left side.

Overall, Johnsson's road will be a bit tougher, and he'll also have to outplay Johnsson for that spot....Babcock can pretty stubborn about the leash he gives certain players. Unfortunately (or not) for Leivo, his leash is likely, extremely short compared to guys like Komarov, Martin, Polak, etc.

I mean, last year, Leivo was extremely good for a decent stretch on that 4th line and he still couldn't buy Martin's spot secondary to Martin's leash...and the fact he couldn't play on the PK/a speed game. There's not much more he could have done last year with his minutes, usage, IMO (to be fair, his injury also may have contributed to it).
Johnsson is primarily a left winger, also can play rw but I've only seen him play mostly lw since his frolunda days. On the Marlies it was kap and sosh that played the opposite side of him. Don't know who it is now since those two moved up.

As for your question, Id say johnsson will be on the team if that was the choice. Lievo just doesn't look like a Babcock type. Johnsson looks ready for the bump up and wouldn't be surprised he moved up the line up by mid point.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Timashov
Moore - Mueller - Smith
Rychel - Gauthier - Greening Marchment - Brooks - Clune

Borgman - Marincin
Valiev - LoVerde
Nielsen - Rosen

Sparks

Lilly getting a rest I guess.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Timashov
Moore - Mueller - Smith
Rychel - Gauthier - Greening Marchment - Brooks - Clune

Borgman - Marincin
Valiev - LoVerde
Nielsen - Rosen

Sparks

Lilly getting a rest I guess.

Good to see Johnsson back

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hopefully the young fella is getting himself back together
He certainly sounds like he's having a sound game defensively. Ohio doesn't seem to generate much when he's on the ice and the puck usually ends up in the other end quickly.
Fingers crossed he gets close to his potential

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He certainly sounds like he's having a sound game defensively. Ohio doesn't seem to generate much when he's on the ice and the puck usually ends up in the other end quickly.
Fingers crossed he gets close to his potential

Some of those big boys we drafted are starting to look at lot better

Greenway Middleton Gordeev Rasanen

Hopefully one of them will hit

Reactions: saltming

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
was at the Marlies game tonight in Rochester, nice comeback in the third period. Was really impressed with Rosen more then anyone. Sadly Lily and Bracco was not in the lineup, wanted to see both play.

Last edited:

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Andreas Johnsson has a legitimate shot at winning all scoring race. He seems to be hot as of late. Only strome can outpace him if he makes it back to the all.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I hope we see Nielsen and Timashov make strides with their skating this offseason. I'd really like to see these 2 take the next step and hopefully push for the NHL the following season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I was a fan of Nielsen but no longer like his odds with us. I think Borgman already earned that spot next year. Lily has jumped him because of his skating and elite skills. Where is the room?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Grundstrom the forgotten man- 11 goals in 28 SHL games has him 3rd in SHL U21 gpg behind Lindblom and our own Johnsson, ahead of the likes of Hornqvist/Silvferberg/Arvidsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad