Proof Benning Is Not Rebuilding, Just Failing

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
It’s weird as hell.

Markstrom was extremely solid behind a terrible team here for the last 3 years but received zero credit because sometimes the first shot went in.

Now he’s literally been the best goalie in the NHL for the last 40 games and the reaction seems to be ‘mmmmm ... maybe he’s ok. Took long enough.’

Markstrom must have realized that all he needed to do is stop the first shot and he'd be good for the rest of the game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Markstrom must have realized that all he needed to do is stop the first shot and he'd be good for the rest of the game.

There was this ridiculous fluke a couple years ago where it happened like 4 games in a row and it was just that - a fluke. A coin coming up heads 10 times straight. But the fanbase noticed and the TV broadcasters noticed and it became a thing. And then when it went back to happening once every 10 games or so - as is statistically normal - everyone would be screaming about it every time.

Reactions: timw33 and TruKnyte

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Kevin Woodley talked earlier this year that Markstrom had huge problems playing too tight before he got the first shot of the game. I suspect that was a major reason for all those first shot goals, I don't think it was entirely a luck thing. I'm gonna guess it was something Ian Clark worked with him to fix this year.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I disagree with title. He is rebuilding but he is failing.

If he's rebuilding, would you care to do something that none of the pro-Benning side has been able to do and point to specific transactions that he has made that are consistent with a rebuild?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If he's rebuilding, would you care to do something that none of the pro-Benning side has been able to do and point to specific transactions that he has made that are consistent with a rebuild?

I'm not actually a Pro Benning side, but Pettersson as a our top line centreman and probably phasing in Hughes as potentially our top 2 defender is a start. Those guys were acquired via draft. Brock Boeser being our top line guy, getting rid of Gudbranson, (that is more damage control) trying to trade elder for picks.

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011
I'm not actually a Pro Benning side, but Pettersson as a our top line centreman and probably phasing in Hughes as potentially our top 2 defender is a start. Those guys were acquired via draft. Brock Boeser being our top line guy, getting rid of Gudbranson, (that is more damage control) trying to trade elder for picks.

All GMs get draft picks. actually showing up and selecting a player is not a "rebuild move transaction"

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

So the only evidence you have for this being a rebuild is because the Canucks have young players in the top 6. Hmmm..

Brayden Point is on the top line in Tampa. He's young. Does that mean Tampa is rebuilding right now?

Simply plugging in players drafted high in the draft doesn't make this a rebuild. The NHL rewards bad teams with high draft picks. Not every team that gets a high pick is in a rebuild. The fact you can't point to any transactions Benning has made that are consistent with a rebuild tells me that the Canucks are not in a rebuild. Some people are just in denial about the state of this team.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
So the only evidence you have for this being a rebuild is because the Canucks have young players in the top 6. Hmmm..

Brayden Point is on the top line in Tampa. He's young. Does that mean Tampa is rebuilding right now?

Simply plugging in players drafted high in the draft doesn't make this a rebuild. The NHL rewards bad teams with high draft picks. Not every team that gets a high pick is in a rebuild. The fact you can't point to any transactions Benning has made that are consistent with a rebuild tells me that the Canucks are not in a rebuild. Some people are just in denial about the state of this team.

what your version of a "rebuild"?

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
The "rebuilding " Canucks dressed 4 players younger than Horvat yesterday.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
LOL. This is the part I laugh at folks like you, because you and others have continually made mention of an Elite core that Gillis inherited, continually failing to mention this elite core was 70+ point Sedins and 30 point checkers on line 2 in Kesler and Burrows.

It's like you guys don't even understand how ironic these claims are.

I also like that this is his 4th full season on the roster and it's just now your group is finally starting to give the player some credit. And the credit is still fairly light considering he's been putting up top 3 numbers since December 1st.

Sorry if you don't like being lumped in with Pastor Of Muppets, but you are.

i do not have a group. i honestly have no idea what you are on about with a lot of what you are saying there, but my opinions on markstrom or the markstrom trade have not changed recently. i am curious how many people on this thread thought markstrom was an awesome trade before this recent hot streak. it's frankly kind of weird to read some of the comments here. i had no idea markstrom had become some kind of flashpoint in the great benning wars.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Actively rebuilding would require making moves that result in gainig assets that are rising in value. Preferrably at the cost of asset that are worth more now but are declining in value. Say a 30 year old D man or a free agent on a short deal with salary retained going the other way.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver

Bad example. Point isnt there to replace Kucherov/Stamkos production. The Canucks have replaced the 37 year old sedins with Boeser/Pettersson as their primary scorers.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I love when people who think Benning is a rebuild, and can't explain how he's rebuilding, turn around and ask this question. Even though I have posted this over and over again, and even though my version is consistent with 99% of what every rebuilding teams do. It seems like Benning has blinded people from understanding what an actual rebuild entails. Because I'm sick and tired of posting this over and over again, and because it's pretty much common sense, here's the coles notes version:

1) Stockpiling draft picks.

2) Stockpiling prospects.

3) Avoiding signing veterans to long-term big salary contracts.

4) Signing some veterans is okay, on short-term contracts. Ideally 1-year contracts where you flip them for picks at the deadline.

5) Conserving or weaponizing cap space.

Basically, the exact opposite of what Benning has done.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Bad example. Point isnt there to replace Kucherov/Stamkos production. The Canucks have replaced the 37 year old sedins with Boeser/Pettersson as their primary scorers.

Not a bad example at all. The Canucks replaced the Sedins because they retired. If Stamkos retired you could say Point replaced him. But Tampa has been run by smart management for years.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Not a bad example at all. The Canucks replaced the Sedins because they retired. If Stamkos retired you could say Point replaced him. But Tampa has been run by smart management for years.

Let's not forget that a good 80%+ of HFCanucks advocated for Brayden Point with our 64th pick in the 2014 draft. We could have had a franchise altering draft that year.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Tough to get offense chances in transition when you have slugs like Guds (who we thankfully don't have to put up with anymore) on the blueline. You can't expect all the forwards to be able to go 'end to end' like EP. Outside of Stecher, Elmer has had almost five seasons and still has difficulty getting D who can complete a pass.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver

who cares, the fact is that a 20 year old and 22 year old have replaced the two leading scorers on the team. he could have gone out to the UFA market and got 2 forwards and reduced EP and Brock's role on the team, but he did not.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
who cares, the fact is that a 20 year old and 22 year old have replaced the two leading scorers on the team. he could have gone out to the UFA market and got 2 forwards and reduced EP and Brock's role on the team, but he did not.

When you have to resort to saying "who cares" you know you've lost.

You don't know that Benning didn't try to get UFA's but they didn't want to come here. I mean, he did have to grossly overpay for Beagle and Roussel.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
Tough to get offense chances in transition when you have slugs like Guds (who we thankfully don't have to put up with anymore) on the blueline. You can't expect all the forwards to be able to go 'end to end' like EP. Outside of Stecher, Elmer has had almost five seasons and still has difficulty getting D who can complete a pass.

what does this have to do with what I was saying above?
sure, he should have taken that 100+ point team in 2015, replaced the core, the d and restocked the prospect pool by now (4 years or less). More pragmatic observers have some patience I suppose. I see some nice young pieces coming in during the next couple years.

But sure, he should have got some top 4 d by now. It would have cost him multiple first rounders and/or our best prospects...but im sure the same crew would have been whinging about that too...

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
When you have to resort to saying "who cares" you know you've lost.

You don't know that Benning didn't try to get UFA's but they didn't want to come here. I mean, he did have to grossly overpay for Beagle and Roussel.

your one liner does not diminish what I wrote. Then you bring up a hypothetical which shows youve lost. Fact is Benning did not bring anyone in here to replace top line production of the Sedins. He relied on a 20 year old and 21 year old. Hell, even goldobin has been given good time in the top 6...you think he couldnt have signed a UFA free agent winger instead? If he was not rebuilding he could have filled those roles with the huge cap he had.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Let's not forget that a good 80%+ of HFCanucks advocated for Brayden Point with our 64th pick in the 2014 draft. We could have had a franchise altering draft that year.

it would be great to have a thread where all the consensus predictions of the great hfcanucks brain trust members were objectively listed and summarized right after they were made so folks could honestly analyse the track record of such a machine.

until that happens, for every brayden point there is a jack wise.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
your one liner does not diminish what I wrote. Then you bring up a hypothetical which shows youve lost. Fact is Benning did not bring anyone in here to replace top line production of the Sedins. He relied on a 20 year old and 21 year old. If he was not rebuilding he could have filled those roles with the huge cap he had.

If he was rebuilding there would be more than 1 ELC to start the season on the team. If he was rebuilding he would be acquiring draft picks. The fact that Tampa has more ELC's on their team than the Canucks is an embarrassment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad