Conditional 4th Round Pick
2019 6th Round Pick (New)
2020 7th Round Pick (New)

Picks/Prospects Traded since 2017:
Jordan Subban
2018 4th Round Pick
2020 7th Round Pick (New)
----
*This does not include any teams trading up/down in draft.
----
Yeah, this is definitely a "rebuild" alright. The general public are only thinking this is a rebuild because of Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser/Gaudette/etc, but besides Gaudette, they were selected with our OWN draft picks. We will soon be adding Hughes to that list. We only have these players because we have sucked, there is nothing more to it.

This would be a great time for anyone that likes what Benning is doing, or thinks this is even remotely close to a rebuild, to come out of the woodwork and make your case. I've made mine and shown the trades since 2017 prove this isn't a rebuild, it is a failed retool.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Benning really didn't do anything outside of the bare minimum of a "rebuild".

And he made no attempt to hide how allergic he is to draft picks.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I'm not even sure if Benning could get picks and prospects for guys like Gudbranson, Eriksson, Gagner, etc... even if he tried. His main avenue of getting picks/prospects should be taking on cap dumps like Callahan.

Reactions: mc1laren

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Benning really didn't do anything outside of the bare minimum of a "rebuild".

And he made no attempt to hide how allergic he is to draft picks.
Like I said it before
He knows his job is in jeopardy if this team doesn’t make the playoffs before his current 2 years contract expires.
He doesn’t care about draft picks that can’t play right now, if the draft isn’t in VAN this year, I bet our 2nd and 3rd are gone by now

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah, this is definitely a "rebuild" alright. The general public are only thinking this is a rebuild because of Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser/Gaudette/etc, but besides Gaudette, they were selected with our OWN draft picks. We will soon be adding Hughes to that list. We only have these players because we have sucked, there is nothing more to it.

Benning has not acquired picks nor have we acquired prospects. He has traded the same amount of picks as he has acquired, while somehow getting worse draft picks as he ended up from a 2018 4th to a 2019 6th.

This would be a great time for anyone that likes what Benning is doing, or thinks this is even remotely close to a rebuild, to come out of the woodwork and make your case. I've made mine and shown the trades since 2017 prove this isn't a rebuild, it is a failed retool.

Well if you're going to include Morgan Klimchuk in there, you should include Leipsic. And if you're going to throw Moutrey in there...

Seriously though. I think you made fair points, although I think the Ottawa example is a terrible (it was basically a bankruptcy type sell-off rather than a strategic rebuild) . I would have liked to see Benning accumulate draft picks but he didn't. In reality, his trade chips since 2017 that he didn't move were Sedins, Edler, Tanev, Sutter, and Gudbranson. Taking the Sedins off the table, Benning could have moved Gudbranson who was on an expiring contract and with interest around the league and this season Edler. I have said this before, from the beginning Benning was not a "rebuild by accumulating draft picks" type of GM and I don't think it has changed. He can probably trade Leivo for a 3rd or 4th right now but he won't.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The fact we have no real assets worth trading is an even bigger indictment on his tenure
The Canucks have assets worth trading, they just got hurt at inopportune times this year. Sutter/Tanev/Edler could all easily have been let go this year.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well if you're going to include Morgan Klimchuk in there, you should include Leipsic. And if you're going to throw Moutrey in there...

Seriously though. I think you made fair points, although I think the Ottawa example is a terrible (it was basically a bankruptcy type sell-off rather than a strategic rebuild) . I would have liked to see Benning accumulate draft picks but he didn't. In reality, his trade chips since 2017 that he didn't move were Sedins, Edler, Tanev, Sutter, and Gudbranson. Taking the Sedins off the table, Benning could have moved Gudbranson who was on an expiring contract and with interest around the league and this season Edler. I have said this before, from the beginning Benning was not a "rebuild by accumulating draft picks" type of GM and I don't think it has changed. He can probably trade Leivo for a 3rd or 4th right now but he won't.

Yeah it's kind of splitting hairs with Klimchuk/Moutrey/Leipsic types, and so I'll just take those useless pieces out. I had Montreal in my original version, but took them out for this update since they aren't really in that window anymore as they have far exceeded expectations and are sitting in the first wildcard spot.

Basically the point is, Benning should've done what the Rangers did, and at the least done what the Wings have done.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
The Canucks have assets worth trading, they just got hurt at inopportune times this year. Sutter/Tanev/Edler could all easily have been let go this year.

Tanev & Edler have nothing to do with Benning, and Brandon Sutter is going to be paid 4.375m for 2 more years after this one for being often injured and giving you 20 points, we'd have to retain salary on him just to get a 6th round pick

Reactions: pomorick

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
The idea is the manager is to take his assets and turns them into a surplus.

Instead we have a guy who uses his assists on lesser assists and watches the slowly decay without reaping any dividends. So instead of rebuilding our team we are really in the same position as 5 years ago. Imagine the cap wasnt going up what a disaster we would be

Reactions: Jyrki21

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Everyone who isn't just a team positive polly realizes this isn't a rebuild. But I don't see why this matters now, it never started, why would it now?

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Ron Hextall was fired before Jim Benning, think about that! Hextall wasn't a good GM, but he's actually built up a very decent prospect pool for Chuck Fletcher to take advantage of

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I was just going to post about how the Rangers have acquired more picks in 1 trade deadline than Benning has his whole tenure here (as long as Gillis)

good on you for making this thread

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Good post and its amazing to see what Benning has done over the last few years. However, I dont think Benning ever said we are in a "rebuild", has he?

What he has done since has gotten here is atrocious. His 1st round picks are 50%, but the latter rounds are decent, in some drafts but he has not acquired any substantial players through trades, only fringe players. His FA signings are meh, nothing to write home about either.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Ron Hextall was fired before Jim Benning, think about that! Hextall wasn't a good GM, but he's actually built up a very decent prospect pool for Chuck Fletcher to take advantage of
Mike Gillis was deemed a pariah because he made two rebuilding moves with the goaltenders which were justifiable at the time and look even better in hindsight.

Those continue to be by far the greatest contribution to any semblance of a Canucks' rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00