Proof Benning Is Not Rebuilding, Just Failing

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That is the development process of a losing franchise.

It’s really not. If a kid isn’t ready you don’t throw him in the deep end. If a coach can’t manage a players ice time then what other mechanism does he have to punish / reward behaviors and model his players’ games to the way they should be to play in the pros? Benching IS legitimate. Hutton was benched in Utica and he turned out fine. Boeser was benched in Vancouver and ended up scoring 30 goals.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Age gap isnt a real thing. Players dont have to be 26-32 to be a big part of the team. It may used to exist but in the modern era look at how first and second year players 22 and under are contributing to the team. The average age of teams are usually 26...

Just based on that half your team is gonna be pretty young.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
They just aren't great prospects. Sorry that's so hard for people to deal with.
For real. These guys get so overrated here. Teams have bundles of these types of prospects. The likelihood they even play 50 games in the NHL is very low at this point.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Bet they don't even become great prospects at the AHL level. It's one thing to draft guys and have them become stars in the minors but not quite able to make that next jump to the NHL. These guys look like they'll be heading to the ECHL in a season or two and then finish off their careers in obscurity in Germany or Italy. Inexcusable for such recent high picks.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
They just aren't great prospects. Sorry that's so hard for people to deal with.

Even if they aren't great prospects, isn't there a certain amount of player development you can only get from playing within games?

I guess the idea being for example, you have a D level prospect who needs to work on a lot of areas of his game. By putting him in a game with a high amount of minutes, you are at least giving him more on-ice experience to work on those areas... maybe eventually developing him to say a D+ or even C level prospect in theory at least?

But how do you facilitate development with less opportunity or sitting in the press box?

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
LOL some of you guys are too much.

Benning hasn't been the best but hes done a decent job. I can say with confidence, if it weren't for the injury plagued seasons to some of our top players, we would either still be in the hunt or have secured a playoff spot already.

We went from 0 prospects to one of the best group in less than 4 years. We have a franchise center, an elite winger, arguably another top line center in Horvat, a few top 4 defenseman and a defenseman that may be a #1 depending on his development, not to mention 2 goalies that are projecting to be NHL starters.

No one in here knows the dynamics of the trades proposed, made, etc. How does anyone know if Benning wasnt demanding draft picks on all his trades? Sometimes, it just doesn't work out.

A lot of you that sit around complaining about how professional hockey personnel are doing a shitty ass job, create these opinions based on nothing or a premise that is completely fabricated within in your own minds.

We did not have the personnel to obtain draft picks like NYR outside of the Sedins, Edler, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen and Hamhuis. Sedins and Edler were going nowhere. Kesler limited what we could do with him, Burrows and Hansen returns were really good based on the fact Burr and Hansen are no longer in the league. With Gudbrandson, Im surprised we got anything. We got Leivo for an AHL regular. Sutter gets injured as soon as he hears word he is potential trade bait. Tanev's value because of his injuries limits what we could get for him. Yes, we could've traded him earlier but who would then play defense for us? Stetcher and Hutton were just starting out and Edler still wasnt playing like he is now. We got a 4th line regular who has done very well for us for Vanek, instead of a 5th rounder who has less than a 12% chance of becoming a regular.

What exactly is the OP and some of you others complaining about?

I would rather have another top 5 pick this year then make the playoffs. We could potentially draft another top 4 defenseman (Byram, Broberg, Soderstrom) or an elite winger/center (Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens).

Benning has done very well in drafting and I don't expect to him to do any differently this year. The Juolevi pick is still good and he had played very well in the AHL prior to his injury. I think the Virtanen pick was the only botched one.

Pettersson
Boeser
Juolevi
Madden
Gaudette
Lockwood
Lind
Hughes

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
We went from 0 prospects to one of the best group in less than 4 years. We have a franchise center, an elite winger, arguably another top line center in Horvat, a few top 4 defenseman and a defenseman that may be a #1 depending on his development, not to mention 2 goalies that are projecting to be NHL starters.
Choose 1. How can you say we had 0 prospects then go on to list at least 3 players that were prospects at the time as key assets?

Hutton, Horvat, Markstrom were all around when Benning showed up.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Secured a playoff spot already? You realize only Tampa who is miles ahead of their next closest competitor is the only team who has secured a spot right?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Does your theory also mean we ha Dino major injuries but all the other teams around us did?

I guess if we had a perfectly healthy season as the teams around us had injuries we would be playoff bound

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
LOL some of you guys are too much.

**A whole bunch of crap that's been refuted about a thousand times.**

I was going to go through that mess and refute things point by point, but seeing as how I'm basically cutting and pasting the same thing over and over and over again, I think I'll just repost something from the good ol' days of waiting for Luongo to be traded somewhere during the most recent lockout.

On the twentieth Luongo thread, hf gave to me:
Twelve circular arguments
Eleven bad proposals
Ten amateur gms
Nine trolls a trollin'
Eight mods a bannin'
Seven new sock puppets
Six migraine headaches
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive Samjam tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeets...
Four rabid Leafs fans
Three French swear words
Two offer sheets
And an Italian who's still our goalieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad