Line Combos: Projecting your 2021-2022 Panthers

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Given that we are all going insane with Weegar and waiting for Dady and beyond, I thought projecting the future of our team could be interesting: here is my guess. Call this roster Spring 2022 or long run.

Huby-Barkov-Tippett
Deni-Lundell/Wennberg-Horny
Dady-Ver/Borgstrom-Connolly
Vatrano-Acciari-

Weegar/Addition-Ekblad
Nuti-Stralman
Yandle-Gudas

Bob
Knight?

Thoughts? The top 6 is young but man would it be insane

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
2021-22:
Huberdoo - Barkov - Tipp
Saarela - Borgstrom - Denisenko
Hoffman - Lundell - Hornqvist
Verheegy - Acciari - Ang

Ekholm - Ekblad
Gildon/Koly - Stralman
Nutivaara - Gudas
Yandle

edit: probably Stillman is somewhere there too...

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If it's Spring 2022...

Huby-Barky-Tippett
Dads-Lundell-Horny
Verhaeghe-Wennberg-Deni
Vatrano-Acciari-Saarela/Borg/Hinostroza

Weegar/UFA-Ekblad
Nuti-UFA
Yandle-Gudas

Bob
UFA

Connolly has already been shipped out for a low pick at this point.
Stralman was moved in the 2021 offseason with a 2023 2nd to clear room for an upgrade signing in UFA.
A cheap UFA goalie was signed to replace Driedger, who had another solid campaign in 20-21 and got a decent contract elsewhere.
Stillman was claimed in the ED by Seattle.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tippett and Denisenko seem locks for consistent NHL players.
With Barkov and Huberdeau, that's 4/6 of the top 6 hopefully locked up long term.
That's where one of Hoffman/Dadonov come in to stopgap while other high end wingers are drafted/developed.
Seems our long term plan for top 6 C's banks heavily on re-signing Barkov and development of Lundell.

Our defense wasn't addressed again outside some mid picks, felt that 2nd round could have been defense for sure but do like Heineman's game. This has to be a major focus this upcoming draft. 1st and 2nd round picks if BPA is available at both spots for defense.

Have high hopes for Tippett (1/2RW), Denisenko (1/2RW), Lundell (2C), Koly (3D) and Knight (1G), feel these guys are the highest chance of solid complimentary pieces. Knight or Lundell have biggest role ahead if both can continue to get better. Hopefully the 2021 1st will be another 3/4 D.

Guys like Borgstrom (3C), Noel (3RW), Heineman (3LW), Ang (4C), Schwindt (3C), Luostarinen (4C), Ludvig (4/5 LD), Gildon (4/5 LD) and Keeper (4/5 RD) have chances at fringe middle value/line roles.

Dream lineup come 2021-22 if all the kids actually developed (age in brackets):
*Heineman (21) replaces Mamin in 2022-23*

Huberdeau (29) - Barkov (27) - Tippett (23)
Hoffman/Dadonov (32) - Lundell (21) -Denisenko (22)
Mamin (27) - Borgstrom (25) - Noel (22)
Ang (24) - Luostarinen (24) - Horny (35)

Koly (21) - Ekblad (26) - really think Koly is smart enough, fast enough and determined enough to land this role.
Stillman (24) - Keeper (26)
Gildon (23)/Ludvig (22) - Gudas (32)

Bob (34)
Driedger (28)/Knight (21)

(4) 30+ year old vets in Hoffman, Horny, Gudas and Bob. All should be fine in their roles.
The rest is up to development of prospects and continued success of Huberdeau, Barkov and Ekblad.
Basically have to go on offense/defense if you keep Dadonov/Hoffman (3 years left), Huberdeau (2 years left) and Barkov (1 year left) long term.

Hoping the offense can be high end skill up top and mostly gritty skill in bottom 6.
The defense will be of the NYI blueprint. Mostly drafted and developed full of physical play.
Knight seems like a 40/40 goalie at worst, likely a #1 though. Bob declines into backup role.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Tippett and Denisenko seem locks for consistent NHL players.
With Barkov and Huberdeau, that's 4/6 of the top 6 hopefully locked up long term.
That's where one of Hoffman/Dadonov come in to stopgap while other high end wingers are drafted/developed.
Seems our long term plan for top 6 C's banks heavily on re-signing Barkov and development of Lundell.

Our defense wasn't addressed again outside some mid picks, felt that 2nd round could have been defense for sure but do like Heineman's game. This has to be a major focus this upcoming draft. 1st and 2nd round picks if BPA is available at both spots for defense.

Have high hopes for Tippett (1/2RW), Denisenko (1/2RW), Lundell (2C), Koly (3D) and Knight (1G), feel these guys are the highest chance of solid complimentary pieces. Knight or Lundell have biggest role ahead if both can continue to get better. Hopefully the 2021 1st will be another 3/4 D.

Guys like Borgstrom (3C), Noel (3RW), Heineman (3LW), Ang (4C), Schwindt (3C), Luostarinen (4C), Ludvig (4/5 LD), Gildon (4/5 LD) and Keeper (4/5 RD) have chances at fringe middle value/line roles.

Dream lineup come 2021-22 if all the kids actually developed (age in brackets):
*Heineman (21) replaces Mamin in 2022-23*

Huberdeau (29) - Barkov (27) - Tippett (23)
Hoffman/Dadonov (32) - Lundell (21) -Denisenko (22)
Mamin (27) - Borgstrom (25) - Noel (22)
Ang (24) - Luostarinen (24) - Horny (35)

Koly (21) - Ekblad (26) - really think Koly is smart enough, fast enough and determined enough to land this role.
Stillman (24) - Keeper (26)
Gildon (23)/Ludvig (22) - Gudas (32)

Bob (34)
Driedger (28)/Knight (21)

(4) 30+ year old vets in Hoffman, Horny, Gudas and Bob. All should be fine in their roles.
The rest is up to development of prospects and continued success of Huberdeau, Barkov and Ekblad.
Basically have to go on offense/defense if you keep Dadonov/Hoffman (3 years left), Huberdeau (2 years left) and Barkov (1 year left) long term.

Hoping the offense can be high end skill up top and mostly gritty skill in bottom 6.
The defense will be of the NYI blueprint. Mostly drafted and developed full of physical play.
Knight seems like a 40/40 goalie at worst, likely a #1 though. Bob declines into backup role.
You have such a Finn center fetish

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Summer 2022 Fantasy Scenario (Realistic)
Yandle, Connolly, and Gudas are all gone.
Barkov, Weegar, and Hoffman are on extensions.
Verhaeghe and Wennberg are both still here and solid middle 6ers.
Tippett, Denisenko, and Lundell are all top 6ers.
Stillman is a steady middle pair D.
Bob doesn't suck and Knight is in his final season of ripening before the show

Huberdeau - Barkov - Hoffman
Denisenko - Lundell - Hornqvist
Verhaeghe - Wennberg - Tippett
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx

Weegar - Ekblad
Stillman - xxxx
xxxx - xxxx

Bobrovsky
xxxx

Reactions: violaswallet

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
What I think is realistic in 21-22:

Huby - Barkov - Horny
Dadanov- Wennberg - Tippett
Vatrano- Lundell- Deni
Verhaeghe - Accari - Hinostroza

*I'm assuming Horny will be on the top line and play the cycle game like HBJ. Maybe switch for Dadanov if he can't keep up
*I'm assuming we will trade one of Connoly or Vatrano to make room for Deni, and Sareela will sign for 1 year then be on his way. If he really impresses, then we keep him and Zito easily finds a taker for Vatrano/Connoly for cheap

Weegar-Ekblad
Stralman - Nutivarra/Stillman
Yandle - Gudas

*I'm really not optimistic we will be able to trade Stralman at that price lol.
*Seattle will take either Stillman or Nuti. Maybe try to give them picks to take Stralman or Gudas instead?

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
One thing I’m thinking with what we saw this offseason: Barky seems to be involved heavily in welcome players but we have heard anything about Huby. I think we will see a three way that involves us sending out Huby next season and adding Laine: it doesn’t seem like Huby is enthused about our team as much anymore as a leader and I think Laine could be a good incentive for Barkov

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
One thing I’m thinking with what we saw this offseason: Barky seems to be involved heavily in welcome players but we have heard anything about Huby. I think we will see a three way that involves us sending out Huby next season and adding Laine: it doesn’t seem like Huby is enthused about our team as much anymore as a leader and I think Laine could be a good incentive for Barkov

Plus you have to factor in that we're already paying Bob $10 mill per and the cap may not move for a few years. Huberdeau and Barkov will likely both be $9+ per year, so not sure how feasible that will be to have 3 players at that level.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Plus you have to factor in that we're already paying Bob $10 mill per and the cap may not move for a few years. Huberdeau and Barkov will likely both be $9+ per year, so not sure how feasible that will be to have 3 players at that level.
Yep and I am not sure if Huby is as happy here: I could be wrong but he’s the one who hasn’t seemed to
Make a home here

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
This is where we stand now, nothing inspiring but at least it's better than Detroit. I'm curious what the divisions will be if there is a Canadian division.

Huberdeau-Barkov-Tippett
Vatrano-Wennberg-Hornqvist
Saarela-Verhaeghe-Hinostroza
Lomberg-Acciari-Connolly

Weegar-Ekblad
Nuti-Stralman
Yandle-Gudas

Bob
Driedger

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
This is where we stand now, nothing inspiring but at least it's better than Detroit. I'm curious what the divisions will be if there is a Canadian division.

Huberdeau-Barkov-Tippett
Lomberg-Acciari-Connolly

Weegar-Ekblad
Nuti-Stralman
Yandle-Gudas

Bob
Driedger

Had to check username history on ya amigo :laugh:.

I think Verhaeghe is gonna impress big time if given a decent enough role.
He led the Crunch in points by a good margin (14pts) and was tied for goals (34) and a strong +/- player (+26)
He also led the league in goals and points as well in 2018-19 and has the experience in a strong TB system and just saw the road to lifting a Cup as well.

I said a couple months back if we were to take a step back on paper (losing Hoff and Dads up front) but re-tooled the defense, allowed prospects to get a shot but also got tougher to play against to have the opponent limping away, that would be fine with me.

Think Zito is focused on a 1.5 year re-tool with the 2020 and 2021 drafts, getting Barkov re-signed building Team Finland around him and hopefully drafting a ton of defense in 2021, we should be in pretty good shape going forward with a good mix of still young core pieces of Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad mixed with some decent enough prospects and experienced gritty depth guys, it should be a good blend of skill and grit.

Maybe Huberdeau is more likely to stay if Barkov does and the young kids impress enough and rejuvenate his trust in this build.

Reactions: Ghoste and Pigge

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

Huberdeau-Barkov-Tippett
Lomberg-Acciari-Connolly

Weegar-Ekblad
Nuti-Stralman
Yandle-Gudas

Bob
Driedger

Looks about right. But I could see Hornqvist with Barkov and Huberdeau doing the dirty work down low. And if he has a good cycle game I could see him clicking up top even more.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You guys dont see borgstrom on the team this year ?

Possibly but maybe not as C, him and Saarela could fight for time as middle 6 wingers. I think Zito will want to see what he does in Liiga for the next few weeks now that he is healthy.
He has an out clause to come over if need be but also needs a new deal for FLA.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We have a few days off so let’s thing expansion draft. I have us going 7-3-1 and I’m assuming NMC are respects

1. Forwards: Barkov, Huberdeau (or is it Laine?). Hornqvist, Duke, Verh, Vatrano, Cookie
    1. Exposed: Connolly, Lommy, Lammy
    2. Exempt: Luo, Tippett, Heponiemi
    3. UFA: Wenny (don’t see us re signing him immediately)
    4. The Vatrano and Acciari pairing are the most likely to be traded off but it’s clear these are guys that Q trusts
  2. D: Weegar, Ekblad, Yandle
    1. Exposed: Keeper, Nuti, Stralman, Stillman, Forsling, Gudas, Juulsen
    2. Exempt: Priskie, Gildon, Ludvig
    3. Thoughts: Yands has been great, I like the rest of our D. I’m guessing we lose Nuti or Gudas right not which is sad because they’re high value contracts
  3. Goalie: protect Bob (NMC); re sign CD afterwards, expose Monty!

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We have a few days off so let’s thing expansion draft. I have us going 7-3-1 and I’m assuming NMC are respects

1. Forwards: Barkov, Huberdeau (or is it Laine?). Hornqvist, Duke, Verh, Vatrano, Cookie
    1. Exposed: Connolly, Lommy, Lammy
    2. Exempt: Luo, Tippett, Heponiemi
    3. UFA: Wenny (don’t see us re signing him immediately)
    4. The Vatrano and Acciari pairing are the most likely to be traded off but it’s clear these are guys that Q trusts
  2. D: Weegar, Ekblad, Yandle
    1. Exposed: Keeper, Nuti, Stralman, Stillman, Forsling, Gudas, Juulsen
    2. Exempt: Priskie, Gildon, Ludvig
    3. Thoughts: Yands has been great, I like the rest of our D. I’m guessing we lose Nuti or Gudas right not which is sad because they’re high value contracts
  3. Goalie: protect Bob (NMC); re sign CD afterwards, expose Monty!

Think it comes down to Connolly, Nuti, Forsling and Gudas.
Feel most may be ok if it was Connolly?
Although my gut feeling is it may be Nuti or Forsling

Stillman, Juulsen, Lammy, Keeper and Monty won't have played enough NHL games to garner enough interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad