Projecting The 2019-20 Roster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
AA-Flip-Hirose... awful. Too soft. Switch Erne and Hirose.
Frankly, I'm not sure Hirose is earning his spot yet either.

The trading for Erne has absolutely put another roadblock in front Zadina/Svech and maybe Rasmussen.
I've liked what I've seen from Erne, but at 23, the time is expiring on Svechnikov. I hope the organization hasn't written him off or backseated him. Because if he doesn't crack the lineup this year, it's not going to get easier when Zadina is ready.
Hirose is soft, but good things seem to happen when he's on the ice. He happens to lead the team in points with his usual point per game average despite not having a good game his last outing. If you're expecting him to go out and demolish somebody, you're gonna be disappointed.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hirose is soft, but good things seem to happen when he's on the ice. He happens to lead the team in points with his usual point per game average despite not having a good game his last outing. If you're expecting him to go out and demolish somebody, you're gonna be disappointed.

It's not about Hirose. But between Hirose, Flip and AA, that's three guys who don't get physical.
And I don't see any of those guys doing well if they're forced to muck it up in the corners.
It was my hope Svech or Ras might be ready and employable on that line. But maybe Erne would work?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's not about Hirose. But between Hirose, Flip and AA, that's three guys who don't get physical.
And I don't see any of those guys doing well if they're forced to muck it up in the corners.
It was my hope Svech or Ras might be ready and employable on that line. But maybe Erne would work?
The line will suck in terms of every possession metrics, but AA will score a bunch of goals. It's basically 2 guys setting AA up for breakaways. Not worried about it.

I'd rather see a scorer on the third line and have 3 legit scoring lines to offset the fact that the team doesn't have any elite scorers. Veleno seems like the best candidate, but they may send him down. Do not want no offense wingers like Helm, LGD, Ehn, DLR, and Abby. Heck, I'd rather give any of the kids a chance.

Reactions: mantha39

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The line will suck in terms of every possession metrics, but AA will score a bunch of goals. It's basically 2 guys setting AA up for breakaways. Not worried about it.

I'd rather see a scorer on the third line and have 3 legit scoring lines to offset the fact that the team doesn't have any elite scorers. Veleno seems like the best candidate, but they may send him down. Do not want no offense wingers like Helm, LGD, Ehn, DLR, and Abby. Heck, I'd rather give any of the kids a chance.

We are far from "having 3 Legit scoring lines" no matter how we arrange the deck chairs. We don't even have 2 "legit" scoring lines. We haven't had that kind of depth since before Datsyuk retired. Nielsen/Filppula are both high end 3C's or subpar 2C's at best. Using 50pts as a barometer for 2nd line C/W, only AA is the legit 2nd liner on his line. Hirose is still TBD over 82gp, if all 3 hit 50pts or more, then they're still a average to low end 2nd line.

On that note Mantha & Bert are still 2nd liners by metrics/advanced stats in a lot of categories. Our 1st line is far from elite, but trending upwards & has good chemistry & balance.

A legit 3rd shutdown line is in order to let the top 6 F's do their thing in the O zone. 4th line is energy/create havoc/pummel the opposing D & F's/chip in garbage goals, anything else is a plus.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I think this team will struggle to get the puck out and do anything but score on the rush.
That's not enough.
Erne would give them some toughness. And he's got the speed and enough skill to step into a bigger role.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think this team will struggle to get the puck out and do anything but score on the rush.
That's not enough.
Erne would give them some toughness. And he's got the speed and enough skill to step into a bigger role.
Conversely, it would be bereft of skill if it's comprised of 2 3rd liners (Nielsen/Flip & Erne) + AA, but I see your point. Once Veleno is ready for 2C is when the real transformation into contending for a PO spot happens. I said it in another thread earlier this summer, that Veleno will be more pivotal (no pun intended) to our teams success, much more than Zadina & I stand by that statement.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Conversely, it would be bereft of skill if it's comprised of 2 3rd liners (Nielsen/Flip & Erne) + AA, but I see your point. Once Veleno is ready for 2C is when the real transformation into contending for a PO spot happens. I said it in another thread earlier this summer, that Veleno will be more pivotal (no pun intended) to our teams success, much more than Zadina & I stand by that statement.
I think so as well. Maybe a little time in GR to prove himself, play winger on the third line with the Wings, then swap to 3C, eventually 2C. Move Flip to Wing. I think that was Yzerman's plan when he signed Flip. We'll see how fast he progresses.

At this point, I'd be happy if Zadina turns out top 6.

If Cholowski remains in Detroit, I would expect to see him on the powerplay as well. They may go with 2 D, Hronek and Cholowski on pp2.
He better show something in the last few games if he wants to make the roster. Right now Cholo looks like he's headed for GR.

Solarion

Jul 27, 2018
He better show something in the last few games if he wants to make the roster. Right now Cholo looks like he's headed for GR.
I think that's right. Cholowski didn't show much poise IMO in the 1st period of the game on the isle. Hopefully he gets it going, but yeah he's probably behind Hronek and Bowey on the depth chart at this point.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
No shame in being behind Bowey and Hronek at this point. Cholowski is playing with McIlrath tonight, and doing an admirable job. Cholowski is taking no steps backwards with the puck/with his offense this preseason, while continueing to color in his d-zone awareness. It's all good imo.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

We shouldn't assume Hirose has more than average NHL skill, or more than Erne.
Erne: 1.62 p/60 48.2 CF%
Hirose. 2.14 p/60 37.5 CF%.

Erne himself was a high second round pick and Yzerman seems to think he's got more than he's showed so far.

I tend to agree with you on Veleno. He might be the most important prospect in the organization.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Erne himself was a high second round pick and Yzerman seems to think he's got more than he's showed so far.

I tend to agree with you on Veleno. He might be the most important prospect in the organization.
Hirose is a 3rd liner whose vision translates to assists. Never said he was uber-talented.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

That P/60 number is wrong for Hirose, 7 points in 153 min is 2.74 P/60. Do the math.

Hirose has 7 pts in 10 games, Erne had 20 in 65. I don't expect Hirose to drive possession metrics, just points. Hirose has absolutely ridiculous hockey IQ and vision, not sure what you're watching. If we could stick his brains in Erne's body, we'd have an elite winger.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, I hope so.
But isn't that kind of Filppula's game? Assuming it's AA-Flip...I just don't see what Hirose adds. I'd just as soon go with Erne, Svech, Ras or even Glendening.
I agree, if you throw those three (AA, Fil, Taro) together they'll get pushed around and stuck in their zone like crazy. I'd like to see Erne with Fil and AA, then Hirose with Nielsen and Rasmussen or Svechnikov. That way each middle six line has an offensive player, a veteran center, and a physical/big player.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That P/60 number is wrong for Hirose, 7 points in 153 min is 2.74 P/60. Do the math.

Hirose has 7 pts in 10 games, Erne had 20 in 65. I don't expect Hirose to drive possession metrics, just points. Hirose has absolutely ridiculous hockey IQ and vision, not sure what you're watching. If we could stick his brains in Erne's body, we'd have an elite winger.
Besides Erne did that on a loaded Bolts squad. Hirose (with no training camp) came into a lottery team & did that after his college season ended, lots of credit to him, looks like an astute pickup (scouted by Jiri Fischer, along with Kaski & Kuffner). These are deft moves that I love to see, free supplemental decent players, or even drafted even overagers in later rounds, hopefully they all work out even if it takes Kaski & Kuffner a season in GR. We should be doing this every year... Damien Brunner 44gp/26pts, Leino, Brunnstrom (by DAL, scored 4G his 1st game iirc), Alexander Georgiev (NYR), . Some work, some don't, either way free assets. Around the league, look at some KHL/Euro overagers that can be used as trade bait/depth etc.: drafted @ age 23 by EDM: Erik Gustafsson (60 pt.Dman last yr.), I'm sure there are other examples. But for every one that works out there 10: Leino, Brunnstrom, Sulak etc.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Hirose ain't gretzky. He got several of his assists on ridiculous individual effort plays by Athanasiou and Nielsen.
His stats are the definition of unsustainable. It's funny, because AA was producing at incredible rates for three years, and everyone said it was unsustainable. Now Hirose does it for 10 games... and he's an NHL mastermind.

As for Hirose's numbers,
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I agree, if you throw those three (AA, Fil, Taro) together they'll get pushed around and stuck in their zone like crazy. I'd like to see Erne with Fil and AA, then Hirose with Nielsen and Rasmussen or Svechnikov. That way each middle six line has an offensive player, a veteran center, and a physical/big player.
That'd be ideal when we're protecting a lead. But tied or behind Hirose with AA & Flip/Nielsen would be the go to.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hirose ain't gretzky. He got several of his assists on ridiculous individual effort plays by Athanasiou and Nielsen.
His stats are the definition of unsustainable. It's funny, because AA was producing at incredible rates for three years, and everyone said it was unsustainable. Now Hirose does it for 10 games... and he's an NHL mastermind.

As for Hirose's numbers,
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick
Nobody is Gretzy dude, even Gretzky wasn't Gretzky, that's why he retired at 38.

Hirose's TOI is 153 minutes. If you use that site's 140 min, he'd be at 3 p/60. Seriously, you can't do math? Pretty obvious that site can't. If you can't do math, we're done arguing dude.

Nielsen had a ridiculous goal, but Hirose also got stuck playing with LGD and Helm, so that sort of evens it out :P

Also, Veleno gets a preseason assist, and everyone thinks he's ready for the NHL, meanwhile Taco is averaging 1 P/G in the preseason.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Nobody is Gretzy dude, even Gretzky wasn't Gretzky, that's why he retired at 38.

Hirose's TOI is 153 minutes. If you use that site's 140 min, he'd be at 3 p/60. Seriously, you can't do math? Pretty obvious that site can't. If you can't do math, we're done arguing dude.

Nielsen had a ridiculous goal, but Hirose also got stuck playing with LGD and Helm, so that sort of evens it out :P

Also, Veleno gets a preseason assist, and everyone thinks he's ready for the NHL, meanwhile Taco is averaging 1 P/G in the preseason.

I don't think Joe V is ready yet. But I have zero doubt that he's got a higher ceiling than Hirose.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
That'd be ideal when we're protecting a lead. But tied or behind Hirose with AA & Flip/Nielsen would be the go to.
I don't think getting stuck in your own zone because you have nobody that can win a board battle is good at any stage of the game.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
We don't know if Green will be healthy . Hronek just getting better and better

Green if healthy. Hronek will be QB PP2.

Right now I have a open spot on D for my fantasy league and everyday I talk to myself if I should pick up Mike Green or Hronek. The other option is Colin Miller because he brings shots , hits and PPP also but I already have Risto and idk about Miller having better numbers behind Dahlin and Risto. I been going crazy contemplating it . Who will play more mins ? Have more points and shots and hits ? Our leagues cats are diff than the standard just points ones.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Hronek will play out better for your fantasy team. He'll simply play more games. You will not see 65 games from Green. Hasn't happened in 3 years and he's just older and less reliable. A lot of Hronek's scoring will come of PP this year.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad