Projecting The 2019-20 Roster

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Sad thing is that it's faster than last year. Kronwall, BigE, and Daley were just about the slowest players in the league with Abby competing for that honor as a forward.
Aby working hard this offseason , he will bounce and if its not he will loose his job to Veleno.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Depends on Blash.
If Blashill gives him good ice time, he'll respond favorably.
If Blashill starts him at 14-15 minutes a night, with Abdelkader or some other slug on his wing, and puts him on PP2 with the afterthought crew, I can see AA being pretty sulky about things.
The good thing is, it's a contract year. I think AA will try to maximize his TOI.

Surprisingly he averaged 17 minutes per game last year which is 2nd line usage. Not sure its realistic to expect him to play more. I'm also not a big fan of his play with the man advantage so I am a little skeptical of how much better he can be.

More likely that he maintains/takes a slight step back in my opinon

Reactions: Winger98

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Aby working hard this offseason , he will bounce and if its not he will loose his job to Veleno.
The usual deal with aging vets, talks the talk but can he walk the walk?
'It’s an every-day league': Justin Abdelkader approaching Red Wings' season with urgency
He talked up a good game during the season as well, but then flubbed an empty netter. If his skating isn't better than last season, the team needs to send him to GR. He knows that fans hate his contract, it's only a matter of time before he gets boo'ed on home ice.

Surprisingly he averaged 17 minutes per game last year which is 2nd line usage. Not sure its realistic to expect him to play more. I'm also not a big fan of his play with the man advantage so I am a little skeptical of how much better he can be.

AA was playing 2C and got double shifted as 4C late in the season (along with Larkin) when Blash decided to run 7D. Not sure why the TOI is surprising unless you didn't watch any games.

I'm not a fan of his PP usage either. AA has a very underrated slapper, I think his role should be a shooter on the 2nd PP line. He needs to learn to use his skating to get open and set up for a shot instead of chasing the puck.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster, fan from the UK, followed since my first EA NHL game in 1996.

Think it will go something like:

Line Up

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha (Why mess with a classic right?)
Athanasiou - Filppula - Hirose
Helm - Nielsen - Erne
De la Rose - Glendenning - Abdelkader

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Green
Cholowski - Bowey

Howard
Bernier

Ehn will be on the big boy roster, he is versatile and plays good defense so will be needed when Helm takes his inevitable injury. Abdelkader makes it in by virtue of the fact that no one will trade for him, in an ideal world we could give a spot like that to Smith or Kufner this year but the space isn't there to do it.

On D, I can't see a way in for Ericsson or Daley other than injury, maybe Daley and Bowey split time and Green's health is always a concern so Daley can expect to see more minutes that way as well, but big E is done. I don't have anything against him, I quite like him all things told, it is clear to see that the NHL level talent isn't there though, coupled with an egregious contract number, I think it would just be bad for the overall atmosphere to expect him to play too much.

Notable Omissions

Filip Zadina - He is a year ahead of his development as far as his age and where he has acquired his experience, I think if he plays in the AHL this year it does him no harm, also he is a slide candidate again owing to his age so 9 games after the trade deadline but an otherwise full season with Grand Rapids is no bad thing.

Joe Veleno - Fantastic year last season, again, given the log jam in the big club for forwards he will see time in GR barring an amazing camp and pre-season where he can't be denied a spot. In which case De la Rose probably makes way and Erne moves down to the 4th line, Veleno and Hirose probably share middle 6 wing duties. Most likely finds himself in GR as the 1C.

Andrei Svechnikov - I can get the arguments for having him with Detroit, I don't think it is necessary though. and if he can get on a wing with the two aforementioned guys then they have a big chance of coming up together knowing each others games and that could be a huge asset for us next year. I like Svechnikov and I reckon he has another level or two to find, let him have the year in GR to really find his fitness and form. There really isn't a rush for him to be up with the big club.

Michael Rasmussen - Another one I like, given the log jam, it is only a case of there not being a spot for him, I don't see the value in him playing 4th line minutes at the NHL level, have him play Top 6 minutes in the AHL and maybe give him some PK time also. There is a really good player in there and I think a step backwards from NHL to AHL this year could give him the best shot of taking two steps fowards for next year.

Moritz Seider - A year in the AHL will be fine for him at this stage, again, there is no rush, he has played against men in his formative years so the conditioning side won't be the biggest issue with him, it will just be getting used to the pace and size of the American rinks, realising that he won't have as much time to see those intelligent outlet passes or use the puck as intelligently as he is known for. More of a mental tune up before making a serious push next year once a lot of D comes off the books.

Oliwer Kaski - Mostly the same as above, granted time is not exactly on his side but he does have a waiver exemption and he will most likely start in GR and be up with the big club after the trade deadline, depending on his performances with the former.

Trade Bait

Oh we do love baseless trade talk don't we ? Sure we do !! So who are the "for sure" candidates for trade talks this year ?

Mike Green - Expiring
Trevor Daley - Expiring
Jonathan Ericssson - Expiring
Jimmy Howard - Expiring

The first three are self explanatory but JE probably isn't going to find a taker, Mike Green will be a good PP option for a fringe playoff team and Daley can provide good experience and depth, but little more. If Howard has a good year and a fringe playoff team is having goaltending problems, we should be looking to offer him out. I look at a team like New Jersey (his home town team) and you can argue that they might make some strides towards a play off spot this year, but goaltending is a weakness for them. One to keep an eye on.

A less likely candidate towards the start of the season could be someone like Darren Helm and I am straight away on the phone to Ken Holland if it becomes apparent that the Oilers need bottom 6 help at any point during the year, even something throwaway like a 5th would be welcomed, not to get rid of the cap hit but more to just free up a roster spot which will be infinitely more valuable to us.

Grand Rapids

Just for funsies, here is a stab at the Griffins lines, at least what I would like too see for this year:

Svechnikov - Veleno - Zadina
Smith - Rasmussen - Kufner
Puemple - Pearson - Terry
Pope - Turgeon - Elson

McIlrath - Kaski
Lashoff - Seider
Hicketts - Saarijarvi

Larsson
Pickard

Lindstrom just misses out for me, but prospect tournament showed that another Sweden season wouldn't hurt. next year is the best time too bring him over full time.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Welcome to the board @coatnoise ...some good points. However Jimmy Howard is from Syracuse, NY, which is upstate NY not NJ. iirc, he grew up a Rangers fan. Also, it wouldn't have to be a "bubble team" to trade for Green or Howard. Even a top contender whose Top 4 PMD and/or G gets hurt, either would be a decent option. Lindstrom can stay in GR too, they can run 7D. I think Hirose will start in DET.

Svechnikov Veleno Zadina & Rasmussen all see ~40+ games in DET.

Smith - Kufner will see 9 gms (injuries)

Seider gets 9 games, unless we're ravaged by injuries, then possibly way more.

I think SY will be moving bodies faster than we're used to, which is a good thing. Since we're not likely to make the playoffs, let the kids get their reps in the NHL (after some GR seasoning), so they can hit the ground running in 20-21.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster, fan from the UK, followed since my first EA NHL game in 1996.

Think it will go something like:

Line Up

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha (Why mess with a classic right?)
Athanasiou - Filppula - Hirose
Helm - Nielsen - Erne
De la Rose - Glendenning - Abdelkader

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Green
Cholowski - Bowey

Howard
Bernier

Ehn will be on the big boy roster, he is versatile and plays good defense so will be needed when Helm takes his inevitable injury. Abdelkader makes it in by virtue of the fact that no one will trade for him, in an ideal world we could give a spot like that to Smith or Kufner this year but the space isn't there to do it.

On D, I can't see a way in for Ericsson or Daley other than injury, maybe Daley and Bowey split time and Green's health is always a concern so Daley can expect to see more minutes that way as well, but big E is done. I don't have anything against him, I quite like him all things told, it is clear to see that the NHL level talent isn't there though, coupled with an egregious contract number, I think it would just be bad for the overall atmosphere to expect him to play too much.

Notable Omissions

Filip Zadina - He is a year ahead of his development as far as his age and where he has acquired his experience, I think if he plays in the AHL this year it does him no harm, also he is a slide candidate again owing to his age so 9 games after the trade deadline but an otherwise full season with Grand Rapids is no bad thing.

Joe Veleno - Fantastic year last season, again, given the log jam in the big club for forwards he will see time in GR barring an amazing camp and pre-season where he can't be denied a spot. In which case De la Rose probably makes way and Erne moves down to the 4th line, Veleno and Hirose probably share middle 6 wing duties. Most likely finds himself in GR as the 1C.

Andrei Svechnikov - I can get the arguments for having him with Detroit, I don't think it is necessary though. and if he can get on a wing with the two aforementioned guys then they have a big chance of coming up together knowing each others games and that could be a huge asset for us next year. I like Svechnikov and I reckon he has another level or two to find, let him have the year in GR to really find his fitness and form. There really isn't a rush for him to be up with the big club.

Michael Rasmussen - Another one I like, given the log jam, it is only a case of there not being a spot for him, I don't see the value in him playing 4th line minutes at the NHL level, have him play Top 6 minutes in the AHL and maybe give him some PK time also. There is a really good player in there and I think a step backwards from NHL to AHL this year could give him the best shot of taking two steps fowards for next year.

Moritz Seider - A year in the AHL will be fine for him at this stage, again, there is no rush, he has played against men in his formative years so the conditioning side won't be the biggest issue with him, it will just be getting used to the pace and size of the American rinks, realising that he won't have as much time to see those intelligent outlet passes or use the puck as intelligently as he is known for. More of a mental tune up before making a serious push next year once a lot of D comes off the books.

Oliwer Kaski - Mostly the same as above, granted time is not exactly on his side but he does have a waiver exemption and he will most likely start in GR and be up with the big club after the trade deadline, depending on his performances with the former.

Trade Bait

Oh we do love baseless trade talk don't we ? Sure we do !! So who are the "for sure" candidates for trade talks this year ?

Mike Green - Expiring
Trevor Daley - Expiring
Jonathan Ericssson - Expiring
Jimmy Howard - Expiring

The first three are self explanatory but JE probably isn't going to find a taker, Mike Green will be a good PP option for a fringe playoff team and Daley can provide good experience and depth, but little more. If Howard has a good year and a fringe playoff team is having goaltending problems, we should be looking to offer him out. I look at a team like New Jersey (his home town team) and you can argue that they might make some strides towards a play off spot this year, but goaltending is a weakness for them. One to keep an eye on.

A less likely candidate towards the start of the season could be someone like Darren Helm and I am straight away on the phone to Ken Holland if it becomes apparent that the Oilers need bottom 6 help at any point during the year, even something throwaway like a 5th would be welcomed, not to get rid of the cap hit but more to just free up a roster spot which will be infinitely more valuable to us.

Grand Rapids

Just for funsies, here is a stab at the Griffins lines, at least what I would like too see for this year:

Svechnikov - Veleno - Zadina
Smith - Rasmussen - Kufner
Puemple - Pearson - Terry
Pope - Turgeon - Elson

McIlrath - Kaski
Lashoff - Seider
Hicketts - Saarijarvi

Larsson
Pickard

Lindstrom just misses out for me, but prospect tournament showed that another Sweden season wouldn't hurt. next year is the best time too bring him over full time.

Good stuff. I like your line up and, for the most part would be fine with that. Would be exciting from a fans' perspective to see some of your "notable omissions" guys on the big team, but I can see any or all of those guys earning some time with the big team at some point during the season.

Glad you decided to jump in and join the conversation. Shout out to the UK Wings fans. Welcome aboard, Coatnoise.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Svechnikov Veleno Zadina & Rasmussen all see ~40+ games in DET.

Smith - Kufner will see 9 gms (injuries)

Seider gets 9 games, unless we're ravaged by injuries, then possibly way more.

I think SY will be moving bodies faster than we're used to, which is a good thing. Since we're not likely to make the playoffs, let the kids get their reps in the NHL (after some GR seasoning), so they can hit the ground running in 20-21.

I still think it will be the exact opposite. More of, wishful thinking. Tough to see those 40 games for each, maybe 20 games for some guys after trade deadline.

Season 2020-21 could be like that.

What happened at Tampa, at first Yzerman pushed the roster full of vets around only 20-year-old TOP2 picks Stamkos and Hedman. For 2 seasons, it was a vet team.

Not until for 3rd season, then they started bringin a lot of kids in from the farm system. It was also the lockout season, so they basicly stockpilled the farm system for 2,5 season, before bringin guys up.

22-year-old, Cory Conacher, 35 games (48 game season)
22-year-old, Alex Killorn, 38 games
21-year-old, Richard Panik, 25 games
22-year-old, Tyler Johnson, 14 games
22-year-old, Radgo Gudas, 22 games

24-year-old goaltended Anders Lindback also took the starter role from 40-year old Roloson and 33-year old Garon.

Brett Connolly was inserted year before (at same age as 2018 draftees like Zadina & Veleno now), but it was too soon and he had a setback on this Yzerman's 3rd season.

So, hold your horses, it could be the same patient plan again (kids on the farm). But it's the plan of success. Everybody knows where Tampa is now.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I still think it will be the exact opposite. More of, wishful thinking. Tough to see those 40 games for each, maybe 20 games for some guys after trade deadline.

What happened at Tampa, at first Yzerman pushed the roster full of vets around only 20-year-old TOP2 picks Stamkos and Hedman. For 2 seasons, it was a vet team.

Not until for 3rd season, then they started bringin a lot of kids in from the farm system. It was also the lockout season, so they basicly stockpilled the farm system for 2,5 season, before bringin guys up.

24-year-old goaltended Anders Lindback also took the starter role from 40-year old Roloson and 33-year old Garon.

Brett Connolly was inserted year before (at same age as 2018 draftees like Zadina & Veleno now), but it was too soon and he had a setback on this Yzerman's 3rd season.

So, hold your horses, it could be the same patient plan again (kids on the farm). But it's the plan of success. Everybody knows where Tampa is now.
Fair enough. I knew Yzerman did that in Tampa, but Veleno had a phenomenal year & a very good tournament. If anything I can see Veleno getting 1/2 a season in GR & then up to DET for good. Same could be said about Seider, but I think with the logjam@ D, it'll be fewer games for him. Svech (assuming fully healthy) should get at least ~1/2 a season in DET. Ras & Zadina need more seasoning in GR, so ~20-30 games in DET is probably closer.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

He's already showed what he does with more icetime. Last year.

First 44 games: 17-11-28 16:09
That's a 31-20-51 pace.

Final 32 games: 13-13-26 18:06
That's a 33-33-66 pace.

Over his last 16 games: 8-7-15 19:25
That's a 41-35-76 pace.

He did that, for the most part, playing alongside Hirose/Glendening/Helm.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Brayden Point was 20 years old when he joined Tampa.
Kucherov played 54 games as a 20 year old.
Neither guy was even a first round pick.

On defense, Sergachev was a 19-year-old.

Yzerman's record on development isn't what you're making it to be.

Svech (23 on Oct. 31) and Hirose 23 are not young players in today's league.

I agree that the Wings won't push Seider into the NHL unless his play demands it. The same is probably true of Veleno.

It's going to come down to who's ready.
And that's what it should be.

Chances are, at least 2 forward are ready.
We're already going Hronek, full-time, so we don't necessarily need to push Cholo in from day 1.

My recommendation, if the players show they're ready, would be:
Svech- Day 1
Hirose-Day 1.
Hronek-Day 1

Cholo-Injury call up, 40 games
Ras-injury callup - 20-40 games
Zadina-injury call up - 10-30 games
Veleno-injury call up - 10-20 games

Seider-late look - 5-15 games
Smith-late look- 5-10 games

Of course, slide any of these numbers around if players can't hack it. Or if they excel.

But if you can get 80 for Hronek and 40 for Cholowski, and 10 for Seider, then next year, Seider starts on Day 1.

At forward if you get Svech/Hirose established this year, next year you're looking at 20-year-old Zadina, 21-year-old Rasmussen (with 100 NHL games already) and 20-year-old Veleno on Day 1.

There's a ton of youth to install. It requires careful staging. But you have to be ready to adjust to the circumstances as they change.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Larkin played in the playoffs for GR.

If you really want to get technical, yes, Larkin played a few AHL games before joining the NHL. The Red Wings were eliminated from the playoffs on 4-29-15 that year and Larkin didn't even sign his entry level contract until 5-21-15.....the NHL was never an option that year.

Obviously that is completely different circumstances than what we are talking about with Veleno/Nyquist. The conversation was geared around making the team out of training camp or not.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Athansiou-Filppula-Erne/Svechnikov
Hirose-Nielsen-Erne/Svechnikov
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm
DeLa Rose, Ehn

DeKeyser-Hronek
Nement-Green
Ericsson-Bowey
Daley

Howard
Bernier

GRG:
MacLeod-Veleno-Kuffner
Puempel-Rasmussen-Terry
Elson-Person-Zadina
Smith-Turgeon-Ford
Shine, Loggins, Lukosevius
Pope, Spezia, Kestner(Toledo)

Cholowski-McIlrath
Lashoff-Seider
Hicketts-Lindström
Saarijärvi
Crawford, McCrea, D'Astous(Toledo)

Pickard
Larsson

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Tampa had 103 points and made it to game 7 of the conference finals in Yzermans first year there,they had a vet in Martin St. Louis that was 2nd in the league in points

not even remotely similar situations

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sad thing is that it's faster than last year. Kronwall, BigE, and Daley were just about the slowest players in the league with Abby competing for that honor as a forward.

Daley was hurt a lot but he should never be described as slow. Skating is what has made Daley's career and while he has lost his elite gear there, he is certainly not slow by any means. I have been disappointed with his stay, his body has given out but when he has been in he still moves very well.

Reactions: Hinterland

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If you really want to get technical, yes, Larkin played a few AHL games before joining the NHL. The Red Wings were eliminated from the playoffs on 4-29-15 that year and Larkin didn't even sign his entry level contract until 5-21-15.....the NHL was never an option that year.

Obviously that is completely different circumstances than what we are talking about with Veleno/Nyquist. The conversation was geared around making the team out of training camp or not.
Do you remember who coached GR that year?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Daley was hurt a lot but he should never be described as slow. Skating is what has made Daley's career and while he has lost his elite gear there, he is certainly not slow by any means. I have been disappointed with his stay, his body has given out but when he has been in he still moves very well.

Last year, he was slow.
He was getting beat in races to pucks on a regular basis.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Athansiou-Filppula-Erne/Svechnikov
Hirose-Nielsen-Erne/Svechnikov
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm
DeLa Rose, Ehn

DeKeyser-Hronek
Nement-Green