News Article: Project NU2

arsmaster*

To be fair the only real 'pump up' songs are nickelback and g 'n' r.

Don't understand the dj meg song....hate that kind of crap, volbeat is ok, just doesn't get you going, japanadroids is ok as well, not a real energy song either.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Pitchfork posted about it on Sunday and seems like there has been a lot of votes for Japandroids since then. Curious to see the current results.

TheCrazedMadman

Aug 31, 2010
I dont care that the Japandroids are local, that song just doesnt fit with an opening to a hockey game (and the yelling is just annoying).....Guns and Roses does fit, people know it (who cares if its overplayed, this will pump up the masses, which is definitely needed in our super quiet arena). Nickelback isnt bad (helps that it doesnt get to the lyrics, lol), but its not that great either.

GUNS AND ROSES

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
I dont care that the Japandroids are local, that song just doesnt fit with an opening to a hockey game (and the yelling is just annoying).....Guns and Roses does fit, people know it (who cares if its overplayed, this will pump up the masses, which is definitely needed in our super quiet arena). Nickelback isnt bad (helps that it doesnt get to the lyrics, lol), but its not that great either.

GUNS AND ROSES

You're opinion was just made null and void with that comment. Thanks though!

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

GUNS AND ROSES

Yeah, I don't get the Japandroid love either. It's not an intro pumpup song.

Co Ho*

Yeah, I don't get the Japandroid love either. It's not an intro pumpup song.

The chorus has some good pump up lyrics. Instrumentally, it's pretty mediocre for energizing the building though.

Nickleback is just awful and Guns n Roses is the least original and most overplayed stadium band possible. This was a huge bust.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The chorus has some good pump up lyrics. Instrumentally, it's pretty mediocre for energizing the building though.

Nickleback is just awful and Guns n Roses is the least original and most overplayed stadium band possible. This was a huge bust.

I totally agree. They said that the fans are choosing it, yet they went from 2000+ songs to 6 songs. It's quite clear to me that DJ Dave and co. picked whatever they wanted. I'm sure there are some much better choices within those 2000+ songs that people entered in, but it has to do with the fact that DJ dave and co's selection is just terrible. Good on them for pretending it was about the fans though. As long as DJ Dave is the one in charge, this type of utter nonsense will continue.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

The lyrics are solid, but lyrics alone don't make the song. It can be Shakespeare, but if it's sung like a bunch of thirteen year olds rage-screaming into a microphone, it isn't exactly going to be pleasing to my ears.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Usually when lyrics kick in they get the attention and the rest of the sound goes more background. Because of this all sorts of vocals are crap for entrance songs that IMO should be all about feeling, hype and drive.

Most songs that have been suggested fall off in that regard once the vocals start. It's just the way it works. I hate U2's music but I like the U2 song as an entrance song. There's no vocals, just instrumental hype/feeling type of music. It fits as an entrance song even with it's flaws (kinda mellow).

Hate that Japandroids song aswell. So ****** guitar sound. Like, what the hell were they thinking? How can anyone actually enjoy listening that (opinions yea yea). And the random "ey ey ey ey" noices... mother of god, if that band was from Calgary or something people would **** all over them. Instrumentally so bad and so annoying not to even mention the vocals.

They said that the fans are choosing it, yet they went from 2000+ songs to 6 songs. It's quite clear to me that DJ Dave and co. picked whatever they wanted.

I actually think that fans did choose those 6 songs (or those were submitted the most). The huge issue here is that fans should never be in a position to do that. They should have people who are competent to make these decisions, not people who happen to visit CDC and bother to vote. As everyone can see from the results (Nickelback & Welcome to the Jungle, seriously?), it's not a group of people who are capable of doing that.

Last edited:

Co Ho*

The lyrics are solid, but lyrics alone don't make the song. It can be Shakespeare, but if it's sung like a bunch of thirteen year olds rage-screaming into a microphone, it isn't exactly going to be pleasing to my ears.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration lol. The vocals remind me of Fugazi, and Fugazi is a badass band.

How about Stop by Jane's Addiction (Minus the Spanish at the beginning)?

Great song, but I don't think it's quite epic enough.

More random suggestions: Guerilla Radio/Killing in the Name Of by RATM, Lose Yourself/Till I Collapse by Eminem, Stronger by Kanye, etc.

It's hard to not use overplayed/cliche songs.

Co Ho*

If they wanted a local band they probably could have found a pretty damn good Black Mountain tune or something to go with..

Japandroids are on the verge of exploding though. They just put out their first real, polished album, and it's already received great critical acclaim. Japandroids could be the next big indie band.
It also doesn't hurt that they write great songs and there's only two members in the band. Impressive stuff.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Japandroids are on the verge of exploding though. They just put out their first real, polished album, and it's already received great critical acclaim. Japandroids could be the next big indie band.
It also doesn't hurt that they write great songs and there's only two members in the band. Impressive stuff.

Japandroids are pretty large here in Australia. Not mainstream, but large among the non-commercial music radio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad