News Article: Problem with a $10M goalie is the league has made that position less dominant

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Ferraro makes the same points many of us have. We don't have a direction.

It's like he's reading my posts. Scoring is too high now for goalies to bail you out, I have been saying this all year. Most teams go with 2 decent goalies and strong defense. We have one good one, one shit one, and a brutal defense (overall team defense is awful, the worst I have ever seen).

Bergevin has yet to realize that the NHL has changed. He's stuck in 2010.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Why would he react to that? The only thing that will light a fire under his seat is if the attendance figures start to plummet.

I get the Canadiens are a Montreal institution but if you go through their marketing material, they are truly interested in global development in terms of marketing and exposure. The team is bigger than just Montreal.

While I don’t think Ferrari’s segment specifically will force a reaction from Molson, neither would just empty seats.

I know it’s easy to just hate everything Toronto, but even when taking both languages into account in Montreal, Toronto sports media is huge. Truthfully, I don’t think they give a rats ass about the Canadiens, but not all exposure is good exposure.

Anyways, a combination of bad press, empty seat and declining merchandise sales may be the combination to eventually force something. So yeah, I think if bashing the Habs for incompetence daily on TSN and Sportnet were to be a thing, Molson would care.

It really ****ing sucks that I don't want to expose my 2 year old to the Habs. I just don't want him to follow this team going no where.

I’m old enough to live through multiple championships and remember 3. My son is older than yours but he only knows the Canadiens as losers. I mean, it didn’t help they traded his favourite player as he began to follow the team, but he seems surprised now whenever the team wins.

I’ve always been a hockey fan first, and tried to raise my kids the same, but it’s tough with this team. Now, both my kids are diehard Raptor fans which is fine by me as I am also, but at least they aren’t Leaf fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArsHabs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You cant win with below average goaltending, but you certainly don't need the best either.

Its always been a volatile position, but the gap has closed alot between the superstar goalie and the generic nhl goalie compared to the 90s and 2000s.

Its made goaltending more of a generic commodity rather than a competitive advantage, and this was being talked about on these boards when price got his big deal, so its not a new theory.

I believe the market is out of whack with the way it values goalies, and the habs got sucked into it. Its still happening today as evidenced with the bobrovsky signing, but at some point, a correction has to be coming if things stay this way.

Another trend we have seen over several years is that championship teams dont start their goalies for anymore than 50 some odd games, which theoretically drives down the value of these goalies further.

Reactions: PaulD

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I get the Canadiens are a Montreal institution but if you go through their marketing material, they are truly interested in global development in terms of marketing and exposure. The team is bigger than just Montreal.

While I don’t think Ferrari’s segment specifically will force a reaction from Molson, neither would just empty seats.

I know it’s easy to just hate everything Toronto, but even when taking both languages into account in Montreal, Toronto sports media is huge. Truthfully, I don’t think they give a rats ass about the Canadiens, but not all exposure is good exposure.

Anyways, a combination of bad press, empty seat and declining merchandise sales may be the combination to eventually force something. So yeah, I think if bashing the Habs for incompetence daily on TSN and Sportnet were to be a thing, Molson would care.

I’m old enough to live through multiple championships and remember 3. My son is older than yours but he only knows the Canadiens as losers. I mean, it didn’t help they traded his favourite player as he began to follow the team, but he seems surprised now whenever the team wins.

I’ve always been a hockey fan first, and tried to raise my kids the same, but it’s tough with this team. Now, both my kids are diehard Raptor fans which is fine by me as I am also, but at least they aren’t Leaf fans.

We live in Toronto. My son is 4. Doesn't care for sports although he has watched some Raptors and snippets of blue Jays and Habs/Leafs. Hoping he'll be a Habs fan but with the Leafs seemingly having a better future than the Habs currently and living in Toronto while the habs just suck... Yeah, I can see him becoming a Leafs fan more than the Habs and I wouldn't blame him one bit. Heck, might be better for his well being at least in the short run. Doesn't help that his mom is a Leafs fan.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
We live in Toronto. My son is 4. Doesn't care for sports although he has watched some Raptors and snippets of blue Jays and Habs/Leafs. Hoping he'll be a Habs fan but with the Leafs seemingly having a better future than the Habs currently and living in Toronto while the habs just suck... Yeah, I can see him becoming a Leafs fan more than the Habs and I wouldn't blame him one bit. Heck, might be better for his well being at least in the short run. Doesn't help that his mom is a Leafs fan.

Yeah, the mom being a Leafs fan doesn’t help. My wife is thankfully a Habs fan, but she also has been losing interest over the years. As your son is 4, maybe by the time we get good, he’ll grow into a fan by then.

If asked, we are a Raptors house, though Habs still come first for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Also what he says about goaltending is very true. Price benefitted from a golden era of goaltending, or the tail end of it. Since 2015 the league has taken a massive turn to increase goalscoring. Smaller equipment, faster game, more penalties, etc.

Its going to be a while before we hear of another dominant goaltender IMO. Binnington is doing great, but hes behind a great team and he doesnt play many games, same for Vasi last year and Bishop. My guess is that youre not going to see any other stretches like Hasek, Thomas, Rask, Brodeur, Price, Bob, Lu, etc had. The goaltending position is dead and IMO a goaltender shouldnt be relied upon anymore.

Its the sad truth, its a shame really, because I think watching some of those runs was as entertaining as watching goals scored. Thomas, Hasek and Price entertainment factor was as high as McDavid IMO, in their best years.

I kinda wish theyd dial back on the reduction of equipment size. Speeding up the game is one thing, but reverting goalies back to the 70s doesnt make hockey more interesting IMO.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Please watch the first minute*. Original title was changed for me because it may upset some 'fans'
Discuss

*Warning they use words that may trigger some

Heard Ray on this the other day. Always like listening to his comments.

Also get a kick of all the talking heads tripping on their own words when talking about what the Candiens need to do...or what is wrong with the Canadiens...............avoiding the obvious (for whatever reason) that its long past time to replace Marc Bergevin . The "answers" , "suggestions", 'questions" whatever they come up with are so lame its become comical.

Molson BAHHH. .............

"nobody more dangerous than rich peoples kids"
Jimmy Hoffa

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I agree, removing the 2 line calls made it much faster and much more dominated by shooters than by defenders. It was just a question of how long it would take players to adjust.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Heard Ray on this the other day. Always like listening to his comments.

Also get a kick of all the talking heads tripping on their own words when talking about what the Candiens need to do...or what is wrong with the Canadiens...............avoiding the obvious (for whatever reason) that its long past time to replace Marc Bergevin . The "answers" , "suggestions", 'questions" whatever they come up with are so lame its become comical.

Molson BAHHH. .............

"nobody more dangerous than rich peoples kids"
Jimmy Hoffa
What bugs me is the usual pundits on 98.5fm and RDS, who think the kids are to blame for the losses and this organisation should rely on veteran players only because Habs need to win NOW. I've heard those comments a lot over the last two weeks.

Reactions: Ozmodiar and PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's like he's reading my posts. Scoring is too high now for goalies to bail you out, I have been saying this all year. Most teams go with 2 decent goalies and strong defense. We have one good one, one **** one, and a brutal defense (overall team defense is awful, the worst I have ever seen).

Bergevin has yet to realize that the NHL has changed. He's stuck in 2010.
and I wonder how familiar he is with the definition of words like "realize" or even "stuck" :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Lots of us said this when Pitts was winning a cup with Murray , St Louis last year....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad