News Article: Problem with a $10M goalie is the league has made that position less dominant

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I agree with this. They are saying what a lot of us has been saying - They need to pick a direction.

They are stuck being mediocre, their young guys are still seasons away from hitting their peak and they have 4-5 of them in the line-up in any given night. And their two elite players are on the wrong side of 30. It’s not working. As the young guys get better their two elite players are going to get worse as the years go by which is going to keep them in the middle of the pack.

They also don’t have that game changing elite forward and haven’t for a very long time. In their division alone they have to compete against Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Point, Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Eichel, Dahlin, Barkov, Huberdeau. Montreal does not have those types of players on their roster.

They’ve finally done a good job of keeping their prospects and picks, and seem to have drafted well, but they still need to do more. Play their young talent more, give them more opportunities on a nightly basis, trade some of the older vets, cause what they have now isn’t working, and I can’t see it working next season or the season after, hoping to stay healthy and sneak into the playoffs.

Did Buffalo hire Carbo

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
We're in an awful spot tbh. We should be selling, but I'm not convinced MB should have the green light to be the decider and chief here. I don't want him determining what Weber/Petry/Byron/Tatar etc etc are worth. Are you kidding me? We almost need to can him now or wait until the off-season. This guy can not be the guy to determine where we go next.

He's done some moves since Timmins was promoted that I like better than what he did when Dudley was around.

How would people feel about Timmins making the decisions in interim if we sell at the deadline? I'm not sure he's the right guy either, but I have more faith in him than MB. It's a shitty situation.

Reactions: cphabs and BLONG7

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Well we haven't been selling out this season. At this point people are showing up for a chance to say they saw the worst collapse in habs history.

"No grandson, I was there in January 2020 when they finished their 14 game losing streak. We traded a really great goalie to colorado, something we seem to keep doing. I also don't think this is the year boy, its only been 39 years since we saw the finals. Bergevin said in his latest press conference that he has learned a lot this last season and despite finishing 34th in the league it was all due to a 36 year old Drouins injury. Next year we are shooting to just miss the playoffs. I mean he can't be wrong every year can he?"

It really f***ing sucks that I don't want to expose my 2 year old to the Habs. I just don't want him to follow this team going no where.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Price, Weber, Petry and Tatar shouldn't be with the team next year. If Bergevin had any vision, he wouldn't have traded Price with retent for an amazing package instead of extending him a year early.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
When I listen to TSN 690, I swear they rip off our ideas. They pull out the "what if" and I'm sure it's a post I read on here.
Tony posted on here so it's possible.

Anyway, this topic is a good representation of the current situation. Equipment changes and load management have changed the importance of the position these last two seasons. The question is, what is smarter, spending 10.5M on 1 goalie or close to that amount for 2? (See BOS/NYI)

WG

Sep 9, 2008
If we retain.

He has 6 years left @7,8mil caphit. And no one has a crystal ball to know when that cap hit will be just too much or when he'll retire, so it's a risk @7,8.
If you found a team that had to operate below the cap, take advantage of the fact that Weber's real dollars are now << cap hit. Weber's next three years are $6M, $6M, $3M, it's nearly certain Weber's on ice value will be better than 3 years, 15M even as he ages.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Tony posted on here so it's possible.

Anyway, this topic is a good representation of the current situation. Equipment changes and load management have changed the importance of the position these last two seasons. The question is, what is smarter, spending 10.5M on 1 goalie or close to that amount for 2? (See BOS/NYI)
Get 2. We still have backups we are paying that aren't playing. Hence the work load being greater on price. Thus wearing him out sooner as well. For me you spend the most on your guy that plays big EVERY night. And no matter what price simply can't play 20 games a year. If he plays more than 60 games a season he will be completely burnt for the playoffs-meaning no reason to make them because he won't be able to perform when we really need him to. It also leaves you no choice to not play him. It would be tokarski all over again. If you have a second goalie that put in 30 games or so they will be fresh, but not out of game shape if they need to be put it. Hard to sit the bench for 3 weeks to play a single game.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I see talk on the Nashville board about getting Weber back.

I would think Nashville would be one of the teams more willing to take Weber back. Not only would it be a homecoming, but if I'm not mistaken, if he retires early, if he's with Nashville, the cap recapture penalty will be smaller for the Preds than it would be if he retires with another team. I could be wrong with that one, but I did read it somewhere not long ago (but I don't remember where).

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
If we retain.

He has 6 years left @7,8mil caphit. And no one has a crystal ball to know when that cap hit will be just too much or when he'll retire, so it's a risk @7,8.

The recapture penalty is largely on Nashville. The Habs could be hit by one, but it get's smaller and smaller every year. If the Habs trade Weber to another team, I do not know if the penalty the Habs would incur becomes property of the new team, or if it is somehow modified between the Habs and said team.

I read the article here: The Salary Cap Implications Of A Shea Weber Early Retirement

Essentially Nashville will be hit with 24.5M in cap penalties that will be distributed throught the length of his contract remaining. If he retires at the end of the season, Nashville is on the hook for 4.1M for the next 6 years. If he retires on the final year of his contract, Nashville is hit with the full 24.5M as a penalty for one year.

The Habs on the other hand have a cap hit penalty of 762k if he retires at the end of the year for the next 6 years or nothing if he retires on or after 23-24. If Weber is traded anywhere, I doubt anyone is sweating the cap penalty. For his cap hit, one can say he is still productive enough for his 9.6% hit against the cap, but agreed; for how long.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The recapture penalty is largely on Nashville. The Habs could be hit by one, but it get's smaller and smaller every year. If the Habs trade Weber to another team, I do not know if the penalty the Habs would incur becomes property of the new team, or if it is somehow modified between the Habs and said team.

I read the article here: The Salary Cap Implications Of A Shea Weber Early Retirement

Essentially Nashville will be hit with 24.5M in cap penalties that will be distributed throught the length of his contract remaining. If he retires at the end of the season, Nashville is on the hook for 4.1M for the next 6 years. If he retires on the final year of his contract, Nashville is hit with the full 24.5M as a penalty for one year.

The Habs on the other hand have a cap hit penalty of 762k if he retires at the end of the year for the next 6 years or nothing if he retires on or after 23-24. If Weber is traded anywhere, I doubt anyone is sweating the cap penalty. For his cap hit, one can say he is still productive enough for his 9.6% hit against the cap, but agreed; for how long.

That was completely beside my point, which is that carrying that cap hit to term is still a possibility and a risk.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I was actually thinking about this . Molson's main priority is Money which he is making a lot of so he is not as worried

If the brand itself starts getting humiliated and laughed at then Molson may actually react .
Yeah you're probably right. Molson reacting would be disastrous. Molson responding however may just set the habs on the right course.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
That was completely beside my point, which is that carrying that cap hit to term is still a possibility and a risk.

Ya I noticed after I wrote everything that you were talking about the risk of his cap hit being far too much for the player in his 40s. But at that point I had already wrote everything else :blah:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I completely agree with the premise, but it's nothing new and cap space has not been a problem for the Habs in the past few seasons so I'm not sure why this is relevant right now?

Reactions: HankyZetts

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It really ****ing sucks that I don't want to expose my 2 year old to the Habs. I just don't want him to follow this team going no where.
Just tell him the lightening bolt on our jersey is only for “away” games. Should work for another 2 years. Then transition back to the reality he must eventually face...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad