News Article: Problem with a $10M goalie is the league has made that position less dominant

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I was actually thinking about this . Molson's main priority is Money which he is making a lot of so he is not as worried

If the brand itself starts getting humiliated and laughed at then Molson may actually react .

Nothing makes money faster than winning. Molson seems to be unaware of something everyone else in the business has tatooed on their butt.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I don't know. Ferraro echoed much of what we have been saying. So perhaps we aren't so far off...well at least some of us.

They also mention other teams are banged up as well. So its not like we can have that as our only excuse.

Habs aren't even hurt that bad as far as man games lost. They are middle of the pack. One can say Drouin was a big loss, but when you look at some of the top teams, a few of them have key injuries.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Thank you Toronto media. The quicker the Habs are the laughing stock of Canada, maybe, just maybe Mol$on reacts to this.

It's all Molson's idea. When he hired MB he promised we would not tank like we did and 2012 and do everything to be competitive every year.

Doesn't mean he can avoid it. He's just trying to portray some kind of false consistency.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I wouldnt trade Weber though. Petry is the guy to go with full retention making him a very good asset to trade. We are looking at a first and a good prospect

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Thank you Toronto media. The quicker the Habs are the laughing stock of Canada, maybe, just maybe Mol$on reacts to this.
Why would he react to that? The only thing that will light a fire under his seat is if the attendance figures start to plummet.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't know. Ferraro echoed much of what we have been saying. So perhaps we aren't so far off...well at least some of us.

They also mention other teams are banged up as well. So its not like we can have that as our only excuse.

I agree with this. They are saying what a lot of us has been saying - They need to pick a direction.

They are stuck being mediocre, their young guys are still seasons away from hitting their peak and they have 4-5 of them in the line-up in any given night. And their two elite players are on the wrong side of 30. It’s not working. As the young guys get better their two elite players are going to get worse as the years go by which is going to keep them in the middle of the pack.

They also don’t have that game changing elite forward and haven’t for a very long time. In their division alone they have to compete against Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Point, Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Eichel, Dahlin, Barkov, Huberdeau. Montreal does not have those types of players on their roster.

They’ve finally done a good job of keeping their prospects and picks, and seem to have drafted well, but they still need to do more. Play their young talent more, give them more opportunities on a nightly basis, trade some of the older vets, cause what they have now isn’t working, and I can’t see it working next season or the season after, hoping to stay healthy and sneak into the playoffs.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Why would he react to that? The only thing that will light a fire under his seat is if the attendance figures start to plummet.
Well we haven't been selling out this season. At this point people are showing up for a chance to say they saw the worst collapse in habs history.

"No grandson, I was there in January 2020 when they finished their 14 game losing streak. We traded a really great goalie to colorado, something we seem to keep doing. I also don't think this is the year boy, its only been 39 years since we saw the finals. Bergevin said in his latest press conference that he has learned a lot this last season and despite finishing 34th in the league it was all due to a 36 year old Drouins injury. Next year we are shooting to just miss the playoffs. I mean he can't be wrong every year can he?"

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Changed coach, sold a lot of the team. Etc.

Maybe it wasn't a full blown tank job but it was a committed sell job.

Cammalleri wasn't a tank job trade. Gill and Kostitsyn could be considered trading for futures, but the return wasn't all that good.

They kept Cole, Gionta, Kaberle, Markov and Bourque, all over 30 years old. Kostitsyn was only 26 at the time, not really a trade to get younger.

2011-12 was marred by poor decision, them losing was a result of poorly rebuilding the D (Wiz and Hamrlik walked and Markov was injured a lot longer than was anticipated in the offseason).

Not a rebuild by any means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad