Pro-playoff thread

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This post angers me.

Travis has done a hell of job so far with only 3 good players, and the rest of the line up filled with bottom liners and Utica players.

Few games in, sure. But this is a guy that knows how to develop players and right now that's what we need, he seems to be bonding with the youngsters as well. Lets not lose sight of our direction, regardless of what making the plahoffs will do for the morale of our team going forward... we are not at a point where we are going all in. We have a young team, and it's only going to get younger next season... These guys need to develop properly.

Also, apparently Hawks fans hated Q when it came to the kids. Does what Willie does.

Maybe I’m miss reading this post but are you saying that green is a better clan than Joel?

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
I was team tank for awhile. Then Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes came along. Throw them in the mix of Demko, Joulevi, Virtanen, Horvat, Dahlen, Goldobin, Gaudette, et al...

Now I'm team enjoy Canucks hockey, win or lose.

Prefer the wins now, though.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks still need some luck. Intact, I think they look good. Injuries and overplaying stars (fatigue) is still very possible.

Canucks should chaser Quenville. I think he can GM. I don't think Green is a problem.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
After tonight only 4 teams in the LEAGUE with a better record (6-3-1) over the last 10 games.

So weird, eh? But fun!

I haven't checked to see the PDOshotsblocks/60% yet tho.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
This isn’t a courtroom ffs, it’s a hockey message board. Chill out.
I thought it was funny. Who should chill out?

Still think it’d be ideal, long-term strategy wise, to tank and secure a high pick, but must say this season is much more fun to watch so far compared to the last few.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I thought it was funny. Who should chill out?

Still think it’d be ideal, long-term strategy wise, to tank and secure a high pick, but must say this season is much more fun to watch so far compared to the last few.
Objection... disagree.. experience of your hard work, perserevence and TEAMWORK paying off in the form of a fun, bonding playoff run for 22 other teammates tends to outweigh getting a high draft + demoralized 22 other players from a season’s past.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Objection... disagree.. experience of your hard work, perserevence and TEAMWORK paying off in the form of a fun, bonding playoff run for 22 other teammates tends to outweigh getting a high draft + demoralized 22 other players from a season’s past.
Oh yeah, I’d much rather have high morale and no Pettersson than Pettersson and some demoralized guys.

Mine is sarcasm, not sure if yours is, considering the username.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
We have our franchise C, W and D already. No need for tanking.

Besides I like our chances in a 7 game series against anyone in our division.

Reactions: Nomobo

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
And the reality is, if we make the playoffs, we will likely sneak in. I love the effort this year, and given many teams 'expected' to compete for a spot are off to slow starts, it will be a dog fight at the end of the year. I don't think "all" those teams are going to continue underperforming, nor do I expect us to keep over performing, even with our injured players returning.

To me, I just enjoy watching this team improving, battling every night, coming together as a group. If we make the playoffs, terrific, as they will learn how much harder it gets which will make them better players. If we don't we get a high pick, but have watched some really exciting games and can see the talent coming.

I am not sure how 'tanking' works. The young players are leading this team, do we ask them to quit? Shall we trade Petey and Boeser? Hahah!!! I'd rather see a team compete and if we make it we make it, if we don't we don't.

That being said, if we squeak in, we will still have a middle of the first round pick, and this draft is C heavy at the top, so there will be some nice defensemen to pick up whenever we pick. Heck, McAvoy went 14th overall, Honka is ranked 12-14 (and would be a great pick).

We need to focus on D this year anyways, and the top end of the draft is not D heavy. And we all know, even if we don't make the playoffs, canuck luck says we're not getting Hughes1

I have total faith in our scouting department to add the players we need to this team regardless of where we pick... I think when you can say that about your scouting department your team is in good shape moving forward.

Adding Quinn Hughes and Olli Juolevi next year will completely transform the defense in such a way that I don’t feel like we necessarily need to take a defender with our next 1st although it wouldn’t hurt us either.

Whether we end up picking 1st or 16th or 31st we have to keep trying to win games for the morale of the players and integrity of the franchise. I don’t believe in tanking. If the team runs into key injuries and loses games as a result I don’t view that as the same thing as tanking. Tanking is when management and/or coaching purposely worsen the team to draft higher. Like what the Penguins did to get Lemieux. To me that’s shameful and it doesn’t even work anymore since they changed the rules.

I don’t even think we need to tank. We have plenty of talent in the system and some real gems coming up that no one is really thinking about like Will Lockwood who will surprise a lot of people. I’d much rather see them in the playoffs than in last place even if it’s a first round exit.

Consistencee

Feb 23, 2017

It's really amazing how bonded and morally boosted our team has been since 2015/2016 and beyond.

That Flames first round exit really kept everyone motivated the following seasons to just keep winning and grow our team culture.

Reactions: timw33

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Mired in a 4 game losing streak and losers of 5 of the last 6... Still 1 point behind SJ and 1 ahead of Cgy.

SJ and Cgy both blew it last night failing to pull off 4 pt swings in the standings...
This division will be a turtle derby...

If Raanta comes back, I could see Az in first place by the new year.

San Jose are set up their next three games.. all at home: StL, Edm, Van.

It will be a rough two weeks here still for the Canucks... But likely by the end of that we have Edler, Boeser, Beagle back. Sutter a week later.. maybe Baertschi in there as well.... minus whoever is newly injured till then.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks have also played more games. At the rate the teams behind the Canucks are getting points they would have roughly the same number once they make up the games in hand.

Lack scoring depth to survive injuries. But this was not a playoff year. Have to develop the younger players.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Let's face it brethren, no amount of separate thread construction will ever divide this band of brothers we call the 'nuckleheads.

The bond is just too strong for that ;)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Canucks have also played more games. At the rate the teams behind the Canucks are getting points they would have roughly the same number once they make up the games in hand.

Lack scoring depth to survive injuries. But this was not a playoff year. Have to develop the younger players.
Agreed. Need to get everyone back in 2 weeks to add to the depth to help develop the younger players to make to a run to the playoffs by April.

Reactions: Nomobo

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
With Edler and Boeser soon back it would be nice to get this train back on track. This coming California trip doesn’t look as daunting as it once was and after that one , we should have a bunch of home games to look forward to.
GO CANUCKS!!!

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
So hard to get a read of where the Canucks are as a team with all these injuries. For once I just want the Canucks to have an average amount of injuries, not a fully healthy season, just average. I don't know about you guys, but I'm really getting sick of it.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
l9R3usS.png

Reactions: Peter10

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I hope this is not taken in the wrong way just because I am a pro tank / anti-Benning guy...

What benefit do you see in making the playoffs? Realistically speaking, even if this team were to make the playoffs, there is a good chance they would get blown out in the first round. Dont you guys (pro-playoff) think another high pick would help more? Also, wouldnt an early playoff qualification just raise unrealistic expectations in the future?

Genuine question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad