Pro-playoff thread

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
To all the pro playoff posters in this thread, I would like you to keep something in mind....

It's no secret that this regime will be targeting Jack Hughes in the draft so the farther away we get from the bottom 5 the price only goes higher and higher.

If you value the future of this franchise, Bo Horvat and multiple future 1st round draft picks then think real hard where you want this team to finish.

This is probably the most important year for the direction of this franchise since Benning took over.

na screw hughes

#TearsforLafreniere

gooo playoffs goo
#CupContender2019
#TankContender2020

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
O baby baby playoffs are DEF the reality now, nice to see the team with CONFIDENCE and what it can do for the WINS colum. Imagine with Edler Tanev Sutter and Beagle what the sky limit is

Man I love this team :yo:

Nucker4Life

Apr 14, 2010
Prince George, B.C.
Just win, baby!

Everything will take care of itself.

Said it many times... don’t know how anyone who watches their favorite team play sit there and cheer for their demise in that game... that they are investing time in watching.. does not compute.

Sure be ok with a loss when it happens if you’re hoping for a tank.... but are you actually watching to cheer against your supposed favorite team?

The anger depicted in a loss by tankers about everything wrong with the team in that game also doesn’t seem in line with ‘being happy’ they lost. Just weird.

Anyways... step 1.. be in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving.. heh ;)

I read these boards often and don't post much but just want to say this is bang on. Some of the stuff I've read in the pro tank thread are ridiculous. I understand being disgruntled with management and all that but when supposed fans are bemoaning the success of our young players because they are ruining the tank, I don't think they should be considered fans of the team any longer.

Also, I find it interesting that people get angry when anti tank people post in the pro tank thread and yet I think I count at least four pro tank posts in this anti tank thread. Seems quite hypocritical

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I can think of 17 major reasons why we will.

1. Flames suck
2. Oilers suck
3. Sharks suck
4. Ducks suck
5. Coyotes suck
6. Golden knights suck
7. Kings really suck
8. Pettersson is a god
9. Boeser will score 50
10. Benning prepared for injuries this year
11. Markstrom looks solid
12. Horvat took another step
13. Our bottom six is elite defensively
14. We are getting QUINN ****ING HUGHES in March
15. The team is buying in to Travis Green’s system
16. The boys are coming together as a team and playing for each other emotionally
17. GO CANUCKS GO!

Go Canucks Go is not a reason

Your other reasons are also incorrect.

I'm firmly on pro tank side here but enjoying watching the youth play well and show signs that without Benning at the helm this team could be something in the near future- that being said, reason 8 is understated and should be like 5 points on it's own

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I read these boards often and don't post much but just want to say this is bang on. Some of the stuff I've read in the pro tank thread are ridiculous. I understand being disgruntled with management and all that but when supposed fans are bemoaning the success of our young players because they are ruining the tank, I don't think they should be considered fans of the team any longer.

Also, I find it interesting that people get angry when anti tank people post in the pro tank thread and yet I think I count at least four pro tank posts in this anti tank thread. Seems quite hypocritical
Bang on
I was on team tank the last 3 seasons
But I couldn’t stand some posters for being pissed at Bo and Brock for scoring goals. A certain poster even uses the F word toward our young star when they played great.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
45.40 CF% (28th)
47.37 FF% (28th)
45.30 SF% (27th)
45.16 GF% (25th)

The team is bad. We will not be in the playoffs.
Weirdest thing have happened before
The 13-14 Avs 14-15 Flames
Like I’ve said, ride the train until it derail. What is there to lose anyway? The firing of Jim Benning? I honestly would rather see some success lead by these young stars

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm more of a pro-victory type of guy.
Or pro-entertainment.
If I'm setting aside and committing 2.5hrs of time to watch a game... I'm watching to see us win it.

The big picture of where the team ends up in the standings and where we draft is entirely independent of what I cheer for.

I control nothing beyond choosing to watch or not.

Whatever happens, happens.

I am of the opinion that winning is far better for the long term health, development and growth of the team though. So i rather see that for those kids in that room.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I'm more of a pro-victory type of guy.
Or pro-entertainment.
If I'm setting aside and committing 2.5hrs of time to watch a game... I'm watching to see us win it.

The big picture of where the team ends up in the standings and where we draft is entirely independent of what I cheer for.

I control nothing beyond choosing to watch or not.

Whatever happens, happens.

I am of the opinion that winning is far better for the long term health, development and growth of the team though. So i rather see that for those kids in that room.
That's what PVR is for- skip through John Garret's moronic obvious analysis mid whistle, commercials and intermissions- you can get through it in just over an hour.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That's what PVR is for- skip through John Garret's moronic obvious analysis mid whistle, commercials and intermissions- you can get through it in just over an hour.

The prefect delay is one hour.

If you start watching a 7pm game on PVR at 8pm... and you forward thru the minimum nine 120 second in-period commercial breaks, and the two 17/18 min intermissions, you catch up live to the game with about 2 minutes remaining...

Got it down to a science at this point.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

If you start watching a 7pm game on PVR at 8pm... and you forward thru the minimum nine 120 second in-period commercial breaks, and the two 17/18 min intermissions, you catch up live to the game with about 2 minutes remaining...

Literally (see what I did there :sarcasm:) the exact same strategy as me. Especially when game times are when NFL games are going on to it's massive for me. I can watch both games in basically the time I'd be able to watch one game live.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Kids make a run this year to challenge and tease for a playoff spot... then at the end of the year or next add apparently the best skater not in the NHL - if you are to believe Ryan Biech - Quinn Hughes.

Stated he has improved his skating this year and looks phenomenal. -heard him say on 650 last night. Great news.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
45.40 CF% (28th)
47.37 FF% (28th)
45.30 SF% (27th)
45.16 GF% (25th)

They've had one of toughest schedules of any team. Those numbers are getting better since EP has been back even with the injury issues and will likely continue to get better as they start to play the lower end teams. In the past injuries have sunk this team, so far this year this isn't the case. Eventually a good start is going to turn into a good year.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Mixing those who are optimistic with those who are not leads to harsh words and anger so on seeing this thread created I'm hoping it will give the optimists an opportunity to enjoy it when the team is successful and to be optimistic for the future without having to face argument from those of us who are for whatever reason less optimistic.

I'm not likely to post on this thread often, but wanted to wish those for whom it is created a good time, hopefully left in relative peace from those of us who think differently.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Mixing those who are optimistic with those who are not leads to harsh words and anger so on seeing this thread created I'm hoping it will give the optimists an opportunity to enjoy it when the team is successful and to be optimistic for the future without having to face argument from those of us who are for whatever reason less optimistic.

I'm not likely to post on this thread often, but wanted to wish those for whom it is created a good time, hopefully left in relative peace from those of us who think differently.
LOGO-Rainbows-and-Sunshine.png

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
They've had one of toughest schedules of any team. Those numbers are getting better since EP has been back even with the injury issues and will likely continue to get better as they start to play the lower end teams. In the past injuries have sunk this team, so far this year this isn't the case. Eventually a good start is going to turn into a good year.

The only good start the team has had is the the results, the process is still flawed. The team is not playing good underlying hockey, this will bite them in the ass sooner or later. A player like Pettersson, despite how good he is, does not have the capability of moving the possession metric by enough to make a substantial difference.

If this team has a "good year" and makes it close to the playoffs, or even in the playoffs. It is without a doubt a fluke, unless they manage to improve their underlying numbers. Which they most likely wont.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Yeah but ya miss the GDT discussions which is the best part of the forum

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
45.40 CF% (28th)
47.37 FF% (28th)
45.30 SF% (27th)
45.16 GF% (25th)

But look at the real underlying numbers.

%Elias Pettersson (1st) - Only team in the league to have Elias Pettersson.

Thats all that matters. Anything is possible.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The underlying data isn't pretty and yes I think this team will come down to earth and won't make the playoffs but the interesting thing is that they have some offensive talent to potentially outperform the numbers.

The way the point system is designed and with over half the teams making the playoffs, any team who gets a few key season-long exceptional performances from top players and good goaltending along with a few loser points here and there can make the playoffs. It also helps that their division seems fairly weak.

The flip side of making it conceivable for most teams to make the playoffs, is that making them isn't necessarily a strong indication of where you are as a franchise. It's certainly conceivable that the Canucks could make the playoffs with some luck and a handful of high-end performances from key players, but then if they do it's not reasonable to assume they'll build on that next season.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
3.27 GAA and .899 sv % is NOT "solid"...

He has looked solid for the most part.

Couple things to consider..

It’s still early in the season, there were some barn burners and lots of new players getting used to Green’s new system on top of offseason rust. That pushes his GAA up but I think it’ll come down a bit as the season goes on.

Scoring is up in the league big time. Save % should be looked at with a bit of extra leeway.

I believe he can be an adequate enough starter on a playoff team. There have been games we had no business being in that Marky kept us in.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Since everyone else thinks we are a playoff team with petersson shooting at 40%, horvat,Virtanen and Sven shooting over 17% here’s a thread for everyone to state their position and not flip flop.
Why must everyone pick 'a side' now and see it through to the very end? Why are we striving for divisiveness?

I just like watching the games. Right now, just take it game by game...

Opinions don't need to be so absolute all the time.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Why must everyone pick 'a side' now and see it through to the very end? Why are we striving for divisiveness?

I just like watching the games. Right now, just take it game by game...

Opinions don't need to be so absolute all the time.
Because some posters question people’s fandoms and insult people like 3 year olds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad