Confirmed with Link: Priskie is a Jerky Boy [2 years/$925K AAV]

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I really like this idea, but no NHLer would ever buy it. They're too proud.

Also, getting back on subject, I looked up the Quinnipiac roster to see if Priskie was listed as LD or RD (note: he wasn't, just "defenseman"), and noticed a familiar name:

View attachment 250561

Also noticed that Priskie came through Salmon Arm of the BCHL on his way to Quinnipiac. I wonder if a Brindy connection was made along the way somewhere?

I'm sorry if I just went all Tripp Tracy on you guys.

I saw back at the draft when looking up info on guys we drafted, that Brindy's kid was a teammate with Kevin Wall with the Chiefs as well. I wondered at the time how much of a say Brindy had in that pick.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
An article from a few years ago:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/136745/2016-nhl-draft-priskie-thrives-radar-quinnipiac/

What's really interesting here though, is that Priskie acknowledges he was switched from RD to LD in his sophomore season at Quinnipiac, and he started to like playing the left side better.

I wonder if that's an angle the braintrust sold him on, point to Pesce excelling as a righty on the left and how if he could play the left, that 3rd LD spot is wide open.

Wasn't it MSP who said he saw Priskie playing the left a lot in highlight vids?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
An article from a few years ago:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/136745/2016-nhl-draft-priskie-thrives-radar-quinnipiac/

What's really interesting here though, is that Priskie acknowledges he was switched from RD to LD in his sophomore season at Quinnipiac, and he started to like playing the left side better.

I wonder if that's an angle the braintrust sold him on, point to Pesce excelling as a righty on the left and how if he could play the left, that 3rd LD spot is wide open.

Wasn't it MSP who said he saw Priskie playing the left a lot in highlight vids?

And maybe why de Haan got moved instead of Faulk? Nice find.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
if you'll notice from the powerplay iso video i posted on the last page, priskie starts the center ice faceoff on the left side. the positional versatility will help him a lot. another thing that's interesting is that i see a lot of people posting "if tvr isn't ready for the start of the season," as if it's a foregone conclusion he's one of our best six when he's healthy. brind'amour didn't show a lot of confidence in tvr last season. it's actually possible he's more at risk than we realize for being replaced regardless of his health status.

locks: slavin, pesce, faulk, and hamilton

competition: tvr, forsling, fleury, mckeown, priskie, bean, sellgren

Reactions: AD Skinner

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
if you'll notice from the powerplay iso video i posted on the last page, priskie starts the center ice faceoff on the left side. the positional versatility will help him a lot. another thing that's interesting is that i see a lot of people posting "if tvr isn't ready for the start of the season," as if it's a foregone conclusion he's one of our best six when he's healthy. brind'amour didn't show a lot of confidence in tvr last season. it's actually possible he's more at risk than we realize for being replaced regardless of his health status.

7 possibly legit NHL defensemen battling for two spots.

Training camp is gonna be off the hook.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
if you'll notice from the powerplay iso video i posted on the last page, priskie starts the center ice faceoff on the left side. the positional versatility will help him a lot. another thing that's interesting is that i see a lot of people posting "if tvr isn't ready for the start of the season," as if it's a foregone conclusion he's one of our best six when he's healthy. I brind'amour didn't show a lot of confidence in tvr last season. it's actually possible he's more at risk than we realize for being replaced regardless of his health status.

He played him 15+ min a night and used him on the pk. That’s shows trust in a bottom pairing defenseman. He got 2 shifts / game less than de Hann.

I’m not saying that if someone beats him out, he won’t be moved, just don’t agree with your assessment of Rod not trusting him.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
But if you talk about bottom pairing defenseman who Rod didn't trust, Hayden Fleury DOES fit that bill. I really don't think the slot is really his to lose, I think it's far more open than that. Rod has seen his work and doesn't like it that much, he was frequently benched the entire third period and got few and sheltered minutes when he did play. His draft and waiver status will give him a shot, but I'd be surprised if he wins this competition with both Priskie and Bean breathing down his neck.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Those Jake Gardiner stats, though. The only way I would ever be OK with a Justin Faulk trade at this point is if they could somehow convince Gardiner to take a short-term, high-dollar deal around Faulk's current AAV due to the league-wide RFA cap squeeze. He's criminally underrated RN because of the Toronto magnifying glass. They could potentially roll out a statistically absurd defense with four of the top GAR stats in the league in Pesce/Slavin/Gardiner/TVR on top of Dougie Hamilton. IMHO, it may be worth the shot.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
What is "Pens-GAR"? I promise I looked, but couldn't find an answer.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I just like the fact that we are absolutely stacked on defense. It really seems like no matter what happens, we're rolling into the season with a tough defense to play against. We legitimately have 10 guys who could or should be on a roster in the NHL this year. And watching that video of Priskie on the PP, I like what I see. I like having someone who's got a shot camping around the soft spot on the defense ready to rip it when the puck finds him.

Which, while we're at it. That reel of Necas last year is very nice as well. The kid seems to have all the tools to help us this year. He's got the shot, he's got the vision, and he's got the wheels. I know the knock on him is his forecheck, but I'm willing to let him learn that on the 3rd or 4th line this year at the top level.

Reactions: cptjeff

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Best guess is ability to draw penalties.

With EV, PP, and SH I think it's probably a net penalty rating, drawing being positive and taking being negative.

The fact Radko Gudas has a net negative Pens-GAR boosts my belief that penalties taken are part of that.

Also, Slavin and Pesce don't draw penalties. So the fact they are +6.5 and +7.6 have to do with the fact they rarely take penalties.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What is "Pens-GAR"? I promise I looked, but couldn't find an answer.
As "goals above replacement" is the main stat there, my guess is for penalty shot.

The others cover for EV and the other specific scoring situations powerplay and shorthanded.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
ImpishScholarlyAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
How good is Necas's shot from those that watched him? I always read about him setting up in the PP Ovechkin slot and I see the highlights but then I go to the stats and see Necas only has 5 PPG last year. Less than Gauthier (9), Saarela (7), and Kuokkanen (6 in 48 games). Tied with Patrick Brown (5). One more than Jurco (4) scored in 33 games and one more than UDFA Nick Shilkey (4).

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
How good is Necas's shot from those that watched him? I always read about him setting up in the PP Ovechkin slot and I see the highlights but then I go to the stats and see Necas only has 5 PPG last year. Less than Gauthier (9), Saarela (7), and Kuokkanen (6 in 48 games). Tied with Patrick Brown (5). One more than Jurco (4) scored in 33 games and one more than UDFA Nick Shilkey (4).

It’s the novelty of having a right shot forward with any sort of shooting skill to speak of. His ability there is way overstated, and the fact that he played the “Ovechkin spot” has people thinking he has a trigger like Ovechkin. I think he’s a skilled and good PP player but no PP savior.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00