Confirmed with Link: Priskie is a Jerky Boy [2 years/$925K AAV]

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Speaking of McKeown, he's likely at this point to head elsewhere yes? Doesn't seem like he's going to be given a shot here and surely there are some teams out there that would love to have a young d-man like him on their roster, right?

I think there's going to be a real honest to goodness battle royale for those bottom pairing roles. TVR likely has a leg up on the right side, but this is going to be a fun competition.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
But TVR likely won't be ready for game action until around Halloween... someone will have to play in that spot and I don't get the sense anyone has the inside track

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But TVR likely won't be ready for game action until around Halloween... someone will have to play in that spot and I don't get the sense anyone has the inside track
Last report from Waddell a week or two ago said he was ahead of schedule, already cleared for skating, but would probably be held out of contact at the start of camp. Nothing about not being out until Halloween, unless I missed it.

Of course recovery from injuries aren’t always predictable.

Hurricanes' Trevor van Riemsdyk: Cleared to skate

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Oh dang my bad. I was just ballparking an estimate based on the 4-6 month timeline.

It still could be Halloween as things can change once he starts having contact, but it sounds like there's a decent chance he's ready for opening night, or shortly thereafter.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I call BS on the $925k AAV. He for certain didn't sign without some performance bonuses. Full A at $850k, the very leastn

Plus it's 2 years according to the Canes link. (and his age, obviously).

Contract details confirmed. $1.775M AAV, full Schedule A performance bonus of $850k for both years. No Schedule B bonuses.

Chase Priskie - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The closest I’ve found to actual scouting reports are really just stat summaries:

Chase Priskie

Washington Capitals Prospect Review and Forecast: Chase Priskie

I suppose he does have a very similar, recent comparable in Will Butcher. If he comes in (when ready and when there’s a spot for him) and has an impact like Butcher, then I think that’d be about the best possible outcome in acquiring him.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
ok 2 legs up

I get what you are saying, that if some of these young guys really impress at camp, it may make TVR expendable, but here's why I disagree with that.

1) Canes are coming off a season where they squeaked into the playoffs and made it to the ECF. They want to build on that, so moving a guy that has been solid in his role and replacing him with a guy that is unproven goes against that.
2) There is bound to be an injury in the top 4 at some point. Do you want to have to rely on Bean, Priskie, Fleury or Forsling to have to play top 4 minutes when that happens? TVR provides a nice safety blanket as he can slide into a top 4 role short term and not hurt the team.
3) TVR played just over 1 min/ game killing penalties last year and with CDH gone, he's going to be relied upon along with Faulk, Pesce and Slavin to do the bulk of the PKing this year. Fleury did some PKing 2 years ago so maybe he can slip into that role, but I think Rod is going to rely on TVR.
4) Canes are already going to have 2 (#6 and #7) slots filled by rookies / unproven players. I just can't see them willingly making it 3.

Maybe they know one of these other guys has more to offer right now than I do and I'll be wrong here, but that's how I see it. Of course, if his injury prevents him from playing or reduces his effectiveness, that's a different story. Next year, after the team has had a year to evaluate a couple of Fleury/Forsling/Priskie/Bean/Sellgren etc...I can see them moving on from TVR, and maybe Faulk as well depending on how well those guys do.

EDIT: to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Bean, Fleury, Priskie, Sellgren, etc... don't have top 4 potential, I'm specifically talking about where they are this coming season and the risk associated with it.

Reactions: Primetime8

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The closest I’ve found to actual scouting reports are really just stat summaries:

Chase Priskie

Washington Capitals Prospect Review and Forecast: Chase Priskie

I suppose he does have a very similar, recent comparable in Will Butcher. If he comes in (when ready and when there’s a spot for him) and has an impact like Butcher, then I think that’d be about the best possible outcome in acquiring him.

Thanks!

In some of the videos I watched, his skating doesn't look great, but in fairness, that's a general impression I usually get watching college hockey highlights. If he's a guy that likes to jump up into the rush, he'll need to be a good skater to be able to play that way.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Anyone figure out how much of his production was scored on the PP? It’s hard to come across detailed NCAA stats.

Priskie scored 17 this year. The last NCAA defensemen to do that was Justin Schultz.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Anyone figure out how much of his production was scored on the PP? It’s hard to come across detailed NCAA stats.

Priskie scored 17 this year. The last NCAA defensemen to do that was Justin Schultz.

10 of his 17 goals are on the PP. I don't how many of his 22 assists are on the PP.

Reactions: CandyCanes

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I get what people are saying that there's very little possibility that Faulk gets moved, but I see there being a very plausible one: he's traded for a LHD. Obviously, the trade partner is going to need help on the right side, have a LHD that's on a similar contract, and a replacement LHD ready for their top-4.

For CAR's part, this would set Pesce back on the right side, might better help with known PP issues, and give the Canes one year to see if this new player is worth an extension or whether Bean is his replacement. I don't know squat about the rest of the league to know if this situation exists, just a hypothetical.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I get what people are saying that there's very little possibility that Faulk gets moved, but I see there being a very plausible one: he's traded for a LHD. Obviously, the trade partner is going to need help on the right side, have a LHD that's on a similar contract, and a replacement LHD ready for their top-4.

For CAR's part, this would set Pesce back on the right side, might better help with known PP issues, and give the Canes one year to see if this new player is worth an extension or whether Bean is his replacement. I don't know squat about the rest of the league to know if this situation exists, just a hypothetical.

I don't think CAR wants to trade Faulk the player, but they may want to trade Faulk the contract along with what may be his future contract demands. I also can't think of a guy out there in a similar situation, cap-wise/need, that would make sense 1-1 for Faulk. If Faulk finally gets dealt, it'll probably be for more futures, that the team really has no need of.

But, they have quite the collection of LHD in Forsling/Fleury/Bean/Sellgren, with no proven option there yet. They know Pesce-Faulk works as a 2nd pairing, and until they know whether Forsling/Fleury/Bean/Sellgren-Pesce works as a 2nd pairing, I don't see them moving on from Faulk.

I think the possibilities on D are exciting this year and it should be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

There is one name still out there in UFA that could be had potentially cheap that might work well next to Pesce in Ben Hutton. But, I just don't seem them moving Faulk at this juncture, to then sign or PTO Hutton, etc.

IMHO, the roster is set, more or less, and the 2 questions are whether or not they get Williams back and who will survive the war for the 6/7 D spots amongst Priskie/Fleury/Bean/Forsling/Sellgren.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I get what you are saying, that if some of these young guys really impress at camp, it may make TVR expendable, but here's why I disagree with that.

1) Canes are coming off a season where they squeaked into the playoffs and made it to the ECF. They want to build on that, so moving a guy that has been solid in his role and replacing him with a guy that is unproven goes against that.
2) There is bound to be an injury in the top 4 at some point. Do you want to have to rely on Bean, Priskie, Fleury or Forsling to have to play top 4 minutes when that happens? TVR provides a nice safety blanket as he can slide into a top 4 role short term and not hurt the team.
3) TVR played just over 1 min/ game killing penalties last year and with CDH gone, he's going to be relied upon along with Faulk, Pesce and Slavin to do the bulk of the PKing this year. Fleury did some PKing 2 years ago so maybe he can slip into that role, but I think Rod is going to rely on TVR.
4) Canes are already going to have 2 (#6 and #7) slots filled by rookies / unproven players. I just can't see them willingly making it 3.

Maybe they know one of these other guys has more to offer right now than I do and I'll be wrong here, but that's how I see it. Of course, if his injury prevents him from playing or reduces his effectiveness, that's a different story. Next year, after the team has had a year to evaluate a couple of Fleury/Forsling/Priskie/Bean/Sellgren etc...I can see them moving on from TVR, and maybe Faulk as well depending on how well those guys do.

EDIT: to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Bean, Fleury, Priskie, Sellgren, etc... don't have top 4 potential, I'm specifically talking about where they are this coming season and the risk associated with it.

I mostly agree with what you're saying and intimated as much. I don't view TVR as "expendable". Yet I do feel he'll be in a bottom pairing mix that's going to be a battle. Sure, he's the likely #5, but between Fleury and Forsling, their not throwing a raw rookie out there. Still, given what you said about the PK, I think TVR has to lose the job, not one of the youngsters winning it.

Fleury did a little PK work last season, but not much. He carried a fairly big load in Charlotte in that regard. But I have trouble seeing what that 2nd PK pairing would be regardless. You're not putting TVR w/Faulk (TVR looked horrendous on his off side). I think without CDH, the team's in a conundrum on the PK.

I think the possibilities on D are exciting this year and it should be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

This is how I feel. I'm less scared of Fleury/Forsling/Bean/McKeown/Priskie filling out the bottom pairing than most. I think that in that group are guys that seemed ready.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
This is how I feel. I'm less scared of Fleury/Forsling/Bean/McKeown/Priskie filling out the bottom pairing than most. I think that in that group are guys that seemed ready.
There is an unwarranted trepidation on this board, and apparently in management, about giving rookies playing time. All of Necas, Bean, and Ned should be presumed on the opening day roster until they fail in training camp. Otherwise, what is the point of 1st/2nd round draft picks, AHL time, and most importantly AHL success?
I understand that the organization has some sour history with prospects, but every indication is that all three of these players have the potential to make the Canes better. It isn't likely to happen this year, but getting them NHL time is really the only way to maximize the success of the team in the 2021-2024 window.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Chicago might need a RHD. Maybe they would be willing to part with de Hann in a swap for Faulk. :sarcasm:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There is an unwarranted trepidation on this board, and apparently in management, about giving rookies playing time. All of Necas, Bean, and Ned should be presumed on the opening day roster until they fail in training camp. Otherwise, what is the point of 1st/2nd round draft picks, AHL time, and most importantly AHL success?
I understand that the organization has some sour history with prospects, but every indication is that all three of these players have the potential to make the Canes better. It isn't likely to happen this year, but getting them NHL time is really the only way to maximize the success of the team in the 2021-2024 window.

I really don't know how you can justify saying that. It's the reality of the situation that right now, there are very few spots available on this roster and if Williams comes back, it's one less, so I see many on this board realizing the reality of the situation vs. "unwarranted trepidation". Currently, there is a 13th forward spot (assuming Necas makes the team or Williams comes back) and that's it upfront. On, D, there's a #6 and #7D. That's it. Until/unless a move is made, there just isn't any room at the Inn.

And management played Svech, Foegele and Wallmark in key roles last season, and they also had Necas in the line-up to start the season, so they had 4 rookies on the roster to start the season. If a rookie earns it, the management has shown they have no trepidation. Heck, one of the reason's they stated for trading CDH was that they needed to make room for Fleury/Bean.

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
If a rookie earns it, the management has shown they have no trepidation.

I am not sure how much more Necas (listed by almost all fans/pundits as a top 10-15 prospect with a year of professional hockey in Europe and an AHL year) or Ned can "show" management. I can see some questions about Bean, but I think the argument for getting him NHL playing time is a better argument.

Management traded for TWO back-up goalies and a left D. The argument has already been made about all of Necas/Ned/Bean that they don't need waivers so they will be easier to send to Charlotte.

This isn't a huge deal and I can see your points about last season. Still, my view is that getting top prospects in the NHL once they have proven themselves is better for the prospects, the future, and overall organizational morale.

I am not arguing that "over ripening" prospects is necessarily bad. However, the book "Flow" does a good job explaining how the best way to develop a talent (and a love of the talent being developed) is to constantly challenge your abilities.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I am not sure how much more Necas (listed by almost all fans/pundits as a top 10-15 prospect with a year of professional hockey in Europe and an AHL year) or Ned can "show" management.

Meh, I think Necas will be on the Canes so you are probably worried about nothing when it comes to him. Ned, I can see your point but he's caught up in a numbers game. Bean, I'm fine with either way. If he's on the team this year, great. If it's next year, that's fine too.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I don't think CAR wants to trade Faulk the player, but they may want to trade Faulk the contract along with what may be his future contract demands. I also can't think of a guy out there in a similar situation, cap-wise/need, that would make sense 1-1 for Faulk. If Faulk finally gets dealt, it'll probably be for more futures, that the team really has no need of.

There's three in particular that I can think of: Tyler Toffoli, Mike Hoffman, and TJ Brodie. I wonder if a three-way deal isn't a terrible idea by the deadline if the young defensemen are deemed ready. Say, Canes get Toffoli, a second contending team gets Faulk, and the Kings get futures from said second team. I could see a trade like that, particularly if Toffoli is willing to sign short-term a la Dzingel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad