Confirmed with Link: Priskie is a Jerky Boy [2 years/$925K AAV]

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Meh, I think Necas will be on the Canes so you are probably worried about nothing when it comes to him. Ned, I can see your point but he's caught up in a numbers game. Bean, I'm fine with either way. If he's on the team this year, great. If it's next year, that's fine too.

I truly do believe it is going to be a battle - 12/13 forward spot (assuming no Williams), back up goalie, and 5/6/7 defender slot. The guy I'm really pulling for is Haydn Fleury. I believe something clicked for him at the end of the AHL season and then into the playoffs. To my mind, I think he's the guy to be on the 3rd pairing left side.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I truly do believe it is going to be a battle - 12/13 forward spot (assuming no Williams), back up goalie, and 5/6/7 defender slot. The guy I'm really pulling for is Haydn Fleury. I believe something clicked for him at the end of the AHL season and then into the playoffs. To my mind, I think he's the guy to be on the 3rd pairing left side.

Here's how I see it (arrange the line-up as you see fit), barring any trades:

F: Aho, TT, Svech, Nino, Staal, Dzingel, Haula, Martinook, McGinn, and Foegele are pretty much locks. Wallmark is close as well given he's a C. Necas has 2 legs up on the rest and likely gets a spot as well so that leaves only the 13th forward up for grabs.

D: Hamilton, Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, and TVR are all locks (provided TVR is healthy). The 6 and 7 spot are up for grabs. Fleury and Forsling are probably the front runners for those spots. Bean, McKeown (if signed), Priskie and maybe Sellgren get a shot at winning it, but I think Fleury and Forsling have a leg up.

G: Mrazek is a lock. Reimer has a leg up due to his contract. Ned should get a chance to take that spot and will likely see time due to injury. Wouldn't surprise me to see Mrazek 45 games, Reimer 20-25 games, Ned 10-15 games.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I get what people are saying that there's very little possibility that Faulk gets moved, but I see there being a very plausible one: he's traded for a LHD. Obviously, the trade partner is going to need help on the right side, have a LHD that's on a similar contract, and a replacement LHD ready for their top-4.

For CAR's part, this would set Pesce back on the right side, might better help with known PP issues, and give the Canes one year to see if this new player is worth an extension or whether Bean is his replacement. I don't know squat about the rest of the league to know if this situation exists, just a hypothetical.

Looking around the league, the only teams that (a) have the depth in LHD to trade a Top 4 capable player and (b) need or at least could use a Top 4 RHD are Calgary and Arizona. The Flames have Giordano and Hanifin. A RHD may be preferable to a LHD playing his off-side. Brodie's name has been out there this Summer. The Yotes have OEL and Chychrun. Again, a RHD may be preferable to a LHD playing his off-side. Goligoski would be the guy in play there.

Neither make the Canes better, imo. What's the point in swapping Brodie and Faulk? Goligoski is 34 and is nearly 650k more expensive than Faulk (cap). Signing Gardiner and trading Faulk outright accomplishes what you're suggesting more effectively. However, Gardiner's back is a question mark as is trading Faulk without taking back any salary. Also, I'm not sure the PP upgrade makes him a better fit for the roster. Faulk’s resurgent defensive game gives Brind’Amour flexibility in matchups. Game 7 against Washington is the definitive example. Hamilton was having a rough go against Ovechkin. Brind’Amour went SlavinPesce, with Faulk on the auxiliary pairing and Hamilton in a reduced role on the 3rd. Gardiner or Hamilton aren’t ideal in the Faulk role in that circumstance.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
A healthy Calvin de Haan as a 2nd pair staple, either next to Hamilton or in the future perhaps Priskie, for the next 3 years would really go a long way methinks. Bean, Fleury, Sellgren or Priskie still would have had a spot to fight for next to TVR.

Suppose the emphasis should really be on "healthy"...de Haan's shoulders seem like quite the gamble to take on after so many injuries

I still have quite the bad taste in my mouth about that whole trade. I get why they did it, but a healthy CDH to pair with Hamilton (after having jettisoned Faulk), would seem to me to have made so much more long term sense. Hopefully the young cheap surplus D we're left with fill that void.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There's three in particular that I can think of: Tyler Toffoli, Mike Hoffman, and TJ Brodie. I wonder if a three-way deal isn't a terrible idea by the deadline if the young defensemen are deemed ready. Say, Canes get Toffoli, a second contending team gets Faulk, and the Kings get futures from said second team. I could see a trade like that, particularly if Toffoli is willing to sign short-term a la Dzingel.

If, at the deadline, the Canes are in the hunt, I would be surprised to see them moving a top 4 D with 1 year left for a 40-50 point forward with 1 year left. Unless of course there are injuries or guys aren't producing upfront.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Meh, I think Necas will be on the Canes so you are probably worried about nothing when it comes to him. Ned, I can see your point but he's caught up in a numbers game. Bean, I'm fine with either way. If he's on the team this year, great. If it's next year, that's fine too.

I admit to a bias for Checkers because I watched most of their games last season and have attended some the past two seasons. As I said his issue is not near the top of the list—but I firmly believe that by 2021-22 the Canes will be the best team in the East with the addition of Necas/Bean/Ned/one of Geekie/Gauthier/Kuokkanen as part of the core with Aho/TT/Svech/Pesce/Slavin.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Canes don't need to move Faulk for another 2nd round pick. Right now he is worth more to the team for a potential Playoff run. If the Canes keep him, find some Playoff success, and he walks in the offseason (like Ferland) that is fine with me. The Canes have tried to move Faulk for two straight offseasons, nobody on his 15 team trade-list wants to pay the Canes price for him.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Does anyone have a real scouting report on Priskie? Strengths, weaknesses, etc...

very few people know this, until someone claims the info here and takes it to twitter, but priskie and gostisbehere are literally from the same town in florida. there's little relevance to that (as they didn't hang around there long) but it's an easy introduction to the style of game that they both play. there has been a lot of talk about adam fox or will butcher when talking about priskie's game, but those seem like lazy comparisons. priskie is much more confident shooting the puck than he is passing it. especially when compared to fox, who is on another level in terms of vision and innate feel for offense. i don't mean to disappoint, but adam fox is a blue chip prospect. an absolute stud. the reason it was so painful to lose him is that he's almost assuredly going to be one of the best in the league at creating offense from the back end unless something goes very wrong. it's unfair to priskie to try to lump them together. that's from one of priskie's biggest supporters.

one of the things that priskie does incredibly well is use his hands and feet together to make room for his shot. wrist fakes, changing blade angles... just a lot of subtle things that create lanes with the man advantage that help him get shots through. dougie is also really good at that and it's why he's able to score goals at the highest level so consistently. he's not the kind of defenseman that's going to shoot 95 mph slapshots into piles of people and hope for the best. he likes to move laterally and find exposed net. he's also adept at firing shots off the one timer, which is a skill that seems underrated until you have a team full of guys like we do that prefer to stop the puck and then shoot. incredibly accurate wrist shot/snap shot that he deploys more than a windup slapper, which is more the way the game is played now. it's a bit hard to tell where his playmaking level is at because he was rightfully the centerpiece of the quinnipiac attack on the powerplay. most everything they did was designed around having the puck flow through him and for him to find the best time to shoot. they moved him around a lot for that reason and he skates well enough to do that at the next level as well. it will be interesting to see how he adapts to being on the ice with players more traditionally talented and if that adjustment makes him more or less dangerous.

coaches of his talked a lot about his improvement in the defensive zone over the course of his career, but it will never be a strength. the good news is that it doesn't have to be considering the additional pieces we have. it may have been part of his decision making process that he go to a team that was secure enough defensively that they could afford to have a player like him that did most of his damage with the extra man and in even strength offensive situations. again, deployment like gostisbehere who the flyers have started in the offensive zone 61% of his career shifts. priskie is a rover much like him and the team will have to be careful not to coach that risk out of his game, because without it he's going to struggle to make an impact. if they do what the oilers did with schultz and the kings did with jack johnson and the rangers did with matt gilroy and the flames did with jordan leopold, he's going to have problems. you just can't make those guys into complete top 4 defenders by force of will. you have to let them do what made them special.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I still wouldn't be surprised if Faulk's camp comes back to the table and the two sides come to an agreement. The Myers contract turned out to not be as bad as it was rumored to be around the draft. The long-term, big money contract wasn't there for Gardiner and he may end up getting squeezed into a relatively cheap, 1 year deal. The 2020 UFA RD class is unusually deep at this point (Pietrangelo, Schultz, Barrie, Spurgeon, Brodie, Hamonic, Braun, etc.) That will thin with re-signings, but there's enough depth there that you run the risk of being squeezed out of a big pay day next Summer.

Assuming the team isn't asking Faulk to take a paycut, a mid-term deal to stay with a team that he may be the next full-time captain of may be compelling.

Reactions: DaveG

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I get what people are saying that there's very little possibility that Faulk gets moved, but I see there being a very plausible one: he's traded for a LHD. Obviously, the trade partner is going to need help on the right side, have a LHD that's on a similar contract, and a replacement LHD ready for their top-4.

For CAR's part, this would set Pesce back on the right side, might better help with known PP issues, and give the Canes one year to see if this new player is worth an extension or whether Bean is his replacement. I don't know squat about the rest of the league to know if this situation exists, just a hypothetical.

But, they have quite the collection of LHD in Forsling/Fleury/Bean/Sellgren, with no proven option there yet. They know Pesce-Faulk works as a 2nd pairing, and until they know whether Forsling/Fleury/Bean/Sellgren-Pesce works as a 2nd pairing, I don't see them moving on from Faulk.

I know I'm crazy, but the only video highlights of Priskie that I've seen, two of the three clips clearly show him playing LD at 5-on-5.

There is an unwarranted trepidation on this board, and apparently in management, about giving rookies playing time. All of Necas, Bean, and Ned should be presumed on the opening day roster until they fail in training camp. Otherwise, what is the point of 1st/2nd round draft picks, AHL time, and most importantly AHL success?
I understand that the organization has some sour history with prospects, but every indication is that all three of these players have the potential to make the Canes better. It isn't likely to happen this year, but getting them NHL time is really the only way to maximize the success of the team in the 2021-2024 window.

There is literally nothing true about this post.
  • First bolded remark: We worked in Svechnikov and Foegele last season, and the only reason Wallmark wasn't technically a rookie is because he played a handful of games in each of the past two seasons. Add in Maenalanen and I think we used as many rookies as humanly possible last season.
  • Second bolded remark: Nobody should be presumed anything. These guys are all waiver exempt and the team should do whatever it takes to win the most hockey games possible at the NHL level.
  • Third and fourth bolded remarks actually contradict each other. You praise AHL time and success as a way to presume spots in the NHL, but then say the only way to maximize success is with NHL time. It's one or the other. Either the AHL time/success gets them ready for NHL success, or NHL time gets them ready for success.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
D: Hamilton, Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, and TVR are all locks (provided TVR is healthy). The 6 and 7 spot are up for grabs. Fleury and Forsling are probably the front runners for those spots. Bean, McKeown (if signed), Priskie and maybe Sellgren get a shot at winning it, but I think Fleury and Forsling have a leg up.

I agree with all of it. But I think Fleury is a lock, at least for Opening Night. It's only fair to us and it's only fair to him that we see if he's a player or not. If he gets clearly outplayed in camp, I think we'll trade him.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I know I'm crazy, but the only video highlights of Priskie that I've seen, two of the three clips clearly show him playing LD at 5-on-5.

As hard as it is to get a feel for a player from 1-2 minute clips, the thing that stands out the most to me about what I've seen from Priskie is how many time he seems to be in the right place at the right time in order to laser a puck into the next after a won faceoff.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Fleury doesn't seem like he's ever going to get Brindy's trust. Even when he plays mostly mistake free hockey in his limited minutes, he was hardly ever given more playing time. I wouldn't be surprised if Bean or Priskie make the top 6 over him. I say this as someone who generally likes Fleury still, especially as a bottom pairing option. Sometimes you get pidgeonholed by your coach, deservedly so or not. As for Forsling, he seems like he's here to be the token #7 guy much like Jordan, Dahlbeck, Tennyson, etc have been over the years, that way we don't have to keep a guy like Bean or Priskie in the press box most nights.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Third and fourth bolded remarks actually contradict each other. You praise AHL time and success as a way to presume spots in the NHL, but then say the only way to maximize success is with NHL time. It's one or the other. Either the AHL time/success gets them ready for NHL success, or NHL time gets them ready for success.
No contradiction if you think about it. Analogy: practicing scales makes you a better piano player; at some point performing is the next step. Analogy 2: Driver training and learner's permits are a great idea; at some point the best way to know if you have a NASCAR driver is to have her drive in an actual race. There is a reason why something exists called on-the-job training.

In a later post I mentioned the concept of Flow, which for my money is a superior way of understanding elite skill to Gladwell's 10,000 hours. Csikszentmihalyi's book does a really good job of incorporating a concept like diminishing returns into why we love to become better at something.

As I said to BBA, I don't think this is a high-priority concern. But I am certain that my thoughts are not contradictory.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Talent Code by Daniel Coyle is a better text for this than the Czikszentmihalyi because it talks about the biological imperatives behind skill acquisition. Great book.

Reactions: emptyNedder

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Talent Code by Daniel Coyle is a better text for this than the Czikszentmihalyi because it talks about the biological imperatives behind skill acquisition. Great book.
Thanks. I will look into it. One of my friends who is a truly original thinker just recommended "Range," which sounds like it also has some insights along these lines.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My long-shot master plan to dynasty in 2 years:

1. Trade Staal and his NMC next off-season to Pittsburgh. Acquire Bjugstad's last year and JJ's bad contract in order to pry a 1st and Samuel Poulin from JR.
2. Trade McGinn and Martinook's last years for picks to promote Geekie/Gauthier/Kuokkanen, extend Foegele and Wallmark.
3. Let go of Faulk and TVR to promote Bean and Priskie.
4. Acquire both Backes and Kovalchuk's last years to obtain top-10 protected firsts from both teams. Buy out Kovalchuk and keep Backes for one year of veteran leadership.
5. Extend Dougie and Svech after the expansion draft, use the pick and prospect hoard to go hard after Pettersson while Vancouver's in a cap bind from Benning's bad contracts.
6. Cups!

:sarcasm:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Here's how I see it (arrange the line-up as you see fit), barring any trades:

F: Aho, TT, Svech, Nino, Staal, Dzingel, Haula, Martinook, McGinn, and Foegele are pretty much locks. Wallmark is close as well given he's a C. Necas has 2 legs up on the rest and likely gets a spot as well so that leaves only the 13th forward up for grabs.

G: Mrazek is a lock. Reimer has a leg up due to his contract. Ned should get a chance to take that spot and will likely see time due to injury. Wouldn't surprise me to see Mrazek 45 games, Reimer 20-25 games, Ned 10-15 games.

This is how I see it as well, with 2 caveats: 1) if TVR isn't ready, then all bets are off for 2 reasons - he could end up like Frank Kaberle and not get back to where he needs to be over the course of the season, and a youngster might just step up and prove himself....that's why I characterize the defense to be only 2 pairings deep on the "sure thing" scale. I know it is a long shot that TVR doesn't make it back and doesn't perform up to snuff, but there is just this feeling in the back of my mind that I can't shake....maybe I can take something for it.

If Williams comes back I could see Roddy rotating Martinook, Wallmark, Foegele, and McGinn in the sense that he can play the hot hand. My feeling is if Necas makes the team, he may see a couple of games on the 4th line, but he probably will pretty quickly solidify a 3rd line or better role. Still, the longer the Williams thing goes on the more I'm wondering if he's hanging them up.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Has there ever been a case of limiting an older players games? I could imagine Williams could just play home games until the playoffs if he needs the rest. Would also give the kids a chance to play more.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Has there ever been a case of limiting an older players games? I could imagine Williams could just play home games until the playoffs if he needs the rest. Would also give the kids a chance to play more.

I really like this idea, but no NHLer would ever buy it. They're too proud.

Also, getting back on subject, I looked up the Quinnipiac roster to see if Priskie was listed as LD or RD (note: he wasn't, just "defenseman"), and noticed a familiar name:

upload_2019-8-20_17-40-26.png

Also noticed that Priskie came through Salmon Arm of the BCHL on his way to Quinnipiac. I wonder if a Brindy connection was made along the way somewhere?

I'm sorry if I just went all Tripp Tracy on you guys.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I really like this idea, but no NHLer would ever buy it. They're too proud.

Also, getting back on subject, I looked up the Quinnipiac roster to see if Priskie was listed as LD or RD (note: he wasn't, just "defenseman"), and noticed a familiar name:

View attachment 250561

Also noticed that Priskie came through Salmon Arm of the BCHL on his way to Quinnipiac. I wonder if a Brindy connection was made along the way somewhere?

I'm sorry if I just went all Tripp Tracy on you guys.
Interesting. He was committed to Michigan State before.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

I don't know how old you are, but based on my experiences from the wrong side of 40, maintaining a schedule of strenuous physical activity is not that hard. It's getting back to it when you've stopped that's the issue. If that dude sits around at home while the team is on a 5-game road trip, he's likely to be crap on ice the next time or 2 he tries to play.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
another aspect of priskie that isn't being mentioned much is the way he was used on the powerplay being interesting. his team utilized a lot of 1-3-1 and priskie as a right shot was positioned on the left dot for the one timing option as opposed to being the tip of the umbrella. very similar to the way charlotte positioned necas as the trigger in charlotte in their 1-3-1. a lot of teams are using that setup now. here is an iso of a priskie shift i found on youtube:

here are some of necas' highlights from last season. most of the points he scores on the powerplay come from that position as well.

what's interesting about the 1-3-1 is that it requires less of a traditional point presence but the top man has to make decisions incredibly fast and he's mostly just the common point through which the play runs and less of a scoring threat. having your second point man drop down to the circles creates a lot of pressure through the box and gives the low man two shooting options on either side of the net when the puck goes deep.

did carolina run a lot of 1-3-1 last year? my memory is escaping me.

Reactions: vorbis and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad