Confirmed with Link: Priskie is a Jerky Boy [2 years/$925K AAV]

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
(although I guess we did get Ron Hainsey that one year so it wasn't all bad, sucks he never made the playoffs here but **** happens)

Of course, you'll recall that summer that the Canes agreed to terms in principle with Hainsey on like Day 2 of free agency and everyone was talking for months about how the Canes had a big name FA pending and we were guessing who it was, but he only actually signed at the very end after he couldn't get a single better team to give him an offer. Also remember that that was the year after he had been the face of the NHLPA during a lockout and most of the owners were very, very pissed at him, which severely limited his options.

He was a good soldier and a leader for us, and deserved a lot more appreciation than he got, but he was always just a mercenary. The FAs we're signing now actually seem to really believe in the team and organization, and that's huge.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I don't remember Hainsey being the face of the NHLPA, I just remember Donald Fehr and the owners going to war every day along with Derek Roy tweeting that the players wanted a fair deal and then minutes later posted a pic of his Ferrari with the caption "So loud it sets off car alarms lol", and then Gary Bettman being an asshole to reporters "excuse me, I am speaking right now!" when they couldn't come to an agreement like 2 weeks before it all got resolved. Good times that was.

I do however remember the nameless UFA naming game we had here when JR mentioned it. That was also good times, what wasn't good times was the season that followed once March rolled around because that was the end of the Eric Staal/Cam Ward as cornerstones to build on era and we all knew dark days were ahead.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I wonder if the Ducks will be McKeown's final destination if he is traded. I posted a potential trade on CapFriendly where McKeown goes to the Ducks in exchange for LW prospect Jack Kopacka and a 2020 6th.

McKeown Trade from Ducks Perspective - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Here's what their NHL blueline would look like with McKeown:

Lindholm-Manson
Larsson-Fowler
Guhle-McKeown
Del Zotto

And here would be our Charlotte lineup:
Kuokkanen-Geekie-Gauthier
Kopacka-Gibbons-Mattheos
McCormick-Bishop-Maenalanen
Pritchard-Lorentz-Smallman
Shinkaruk

Bean-Priskie
Fitzgerald-Wood
Sheppard-Lintuniemi

Europe Stashes: Luostarinen, Sellgren

Not too shabby, if I say so myself.

Reactions: zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
yup. Hard to get excited about these UFAs out of college.

If McKeown goes, is that the last of the trade deadline prospects that we picked up?

The pick that the Canes used to draft Gauthier was also part of the Sekera trade, if I recall. Luke Martin was drafted with the 2nd that they got for Staal, and he'll be signed to an ELC next offseason if that pans out (The other 2nd that they received went to Chicago in the Bickell/Teravainen salary dump)

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Really, the only thing I like about this signing is that a bunch of other teams wanted him, and we got him.

Not saying it's not a good signing. Just saying I don't know **** about it, really.

This is actually a key. There's a *lot* of bad press out there for us, because of l'offre hostile, losing Fox, Dundon and the Storm Surge. Lots of people really believe that players don't want to be here for any/all of those reasons. There were truly a *ton* of folks who claimed that the Storm Surge would cost us free agents, because no player would ever intentionally want to be a part of something so corny if they could avoid it.

But from what I can tell, Dzingel actually did a Skol Clap on his press day, and Priskie obviously didn't consider it a deal breaker. The fact that players *like* what's going on here speaks volumes and hopefully, shuts some people up.

I've watched highlights of him scoring all of two goals and he looks really slick. Shifty skater who escapes pressure, finds open areas and makes really nice snipes. From that obviously highly representative sample of viewings, I am excited about this pickup.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what he's got when camp rolls around!

The one thing I notice about Priskie's highlights -- what there are of them -- is that a lot of them are 5-on-5. I still can't get over that every highlight package of Adam Fox -- and there are tons of them -- are almost entirely made up of power-play clips. Obviously, this means next to nothing in the big scheme, but I'm not sure what you can even tell about a guy playing his position on the power play setup and generating points.

They're all just mercenaries at the end of the day.

Yeah, but they all want to win. No self-respecting mercenary signs up for a kamikaze mission.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
One of the pros of playing in Raleigh is you can do things like the Storm Surge and embracing the Jerks thing and the fans will love it. Try doing those things in some of the traditional markets and you will be run out of town with pitchforks, and thats before they bombard you at the grocery store and demand answers as to why you didn't shoot the puck in the last game, never mind that the last game was a victory.

Reactions: DaveG and VAcaniac

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Hard to find highlights for Priskie, but here’s the best I’ve found, from 2016:

There's several clips out there that follow him around for entire shifts. I think I just googled his name, hit the "videos" tab and went 3-4 pages deep.

I hate to say this because I don't mean it to be taken the wrong way, but elements of his defensive game remind me of Slavin, the way he gets his stick low and in the passing lane, and how he will put himself on the ice to break up a play - when some guys do that it looks desperate, but when he does it, it seems like he's still fully in control of the passing (or shooting) lane

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Priskie is just replacing Fox.

Meaning we didn’t sign Priskie we signed a 2nd and a conditional 2nd.

But neither *had* to sign here. This is still a big get.

Can we get some more props for the front office on this one for exactly this reason? There is absolutely *no* feeling sorry for ourselves when a prospect forces a trade, we just went out and replaced him with a very similar guy. This GMBC or whatever is absolutely nailing every transaction out of the park. I don't know how important the individual guys are between Dundon, Waddell, Krepelka, Yorke, Brindy, Tulsky and Dudley, but whatever they're doing, they're killing it.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
But neither *had* to sign here. This is still a big get.

Can we get some more props for the front office on this one for exactly this reason? There is absolutely *no* feeling sorry for ourselves when a prospect forces a trade, we just went out and replaced him with a very similar guy. This GMBC or whatever is absolutely nailing every transaction out of the park. I don't know how important the individual guys are between Dundon, Waddell, Krepelka, Yorke, Brindy, Tulsky and Dudley, but whatever they're doing, they're killing it.
I dunno.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The discussion about Priskie's possible impact is on the main board, but this makes more sense here.

Most will think what I am writing is crazy—but that was the response when I suggested in the spring that the Canes surplus was at LD and perhaps de Haan was available.
Anyway, there is always talk about playing RBA-style hockey. It is possible that having to change his D-pairings late in the Capitals series bothered the coach. During the most important games in the last decade Hamilton let Ovie get inside his head. I can see RBA losing confidence. Neither RBA nor DW have said anything that makes Hamilton sound like they see his as part of the core.

Perhaps if Priskie proves NHL-ready, then Hamilton gets moved while Faulk and/or TVR get re-signed. Dougie has the most value—likely another 1st rounder+.

A couple of posters have mentioned that Bean is accustomed to playing on the right. RBA saw the success of two right-shot D-men together, at some point the D might be:
Pesce/Faulk
Slavin/Bean or Priskie
Fleury/TVR

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The discussion about Priskie's possible impact is on the main board, but this makes more sense here.

Most will think what I am writing is crazy—but that was the response when I suggested in the spring that the Canes surplus was at LD and perhaps de Haan was available.
Anyway, there is always talk about playing RBA-style hockey. It is possible that having to change his D-pairings late in the Capitals series bothered the coach. During the most important games in the last decade Hamilton let Ovie get inside his head. I can see RBA losing confidence. Neither RBA nor DW have said anything that makes Hamilton sound like they see his as part of the core.

Perhaps if Priskie proves NHL-ready, then Hamilton gets moved while Faulk and/or TVR get re-signed. Dougie has the most value—likely another 1st rounder+.

A couple of posters have mentioned that Bean is accustomed to playing on the right. RBA saw the success of two right-shot D-men together, at some point the D might be:
Pesce/Faulk
Slavin/Bean or Priskie
Fleury/TVR

Given some of the moves this team has made, that type of move wouldn't surprise me. I just think it will also come down somewhat to economics. Faulk is making $6M in real dollars this year. If he has another good year, are they going to want to pay him what he will command? I get that the same problem may exist with Dougie a year later, but maybe the team thinks they'll keep Slavin and Pesce and fill in the top 4 around them over time with guys they develop. I don't think that's viable, but they have the option of re-signing Faulk, TVR or Hamilton should they need to.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I wonder if the Ducks will be McKeown's final destination if he is traded. I posted a potential trade on CapFriendly where McKeown goes to the Ducks in exchange for LW prospect Jack Kopacka and a 2020 6th.

McKeown Trade from Ducks Perspective - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Here's what their NHL blueline would look like with McKeown:

Lindholm-Manson
Larsson-Fowler
Guhle-McKeown
Del Zotto

And here would be our Charlotte lineup:
Kuokkanen-Geekie-Gauthier
Kopacka-Gibbons-Mattheos
McCormick-Bishop-Maenalanen
Pritchard-Lorentz-Smallman
Shinkaruk

Bean-Priskie
Fitzgerald-Wood
Sheppard-Lintuniemi

Europe Stashes: Luostarinen, Sellgren

Not too shabby, if I say so myself.
I doubt Eetu stays in Europe for a third season. I also doubt Maenalenan comes back to be a AHLer again.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Pesce/Faulk
Slavin/Bean or Priskie
Fleury/TVR
There are large number of possibilities with our top 6 for the 20-21 season. Most of it would be based on the performance of Fluery, Forsling, Sellgren, and Bean on the left side and Priskie on the right. Depending on who is ready from that group will drive our decisions. If it is Bean and Priskie then we look to keep our sounder defenders and possibly your scenario shakes out. If Fleury or Sellgren come out on top on the left side, we would keep an O defender and subtract someone on the right side. And so on.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
If Fleury or Sellgren come out on top on the left side, we would keep an O defender and subtract someone on the right side.
From what I have seen, I think Sellgren has some offensive upside—probably not quite Bean, but significantly more than Fleury.
I also think having d-men on their "opposite" side might become something of a trend in hockey like the infield shift in baseball. I haven't seen analytics to back it up, but I think there are advantages to shooting and passing from the middle of ice near the blue line.

(I am stuck in the airport, so likely to ramble even more than usual.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad