Confirmed with Link: Priskie is a Jerky Boy [2 years/$925K AAV]

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
There was a pretty extensive behind the scenes Athletic article before/during/after the 2018 draft where I believe he brought up missing out on Krug.
I've heard Dundon mention Krug at least a couple times in interviews and team videos in reference to him attending Canes camp as a college UFA, leaving unsigned, and going to Boston. It's the same line of thinking as drafting a guy like Slavin - "How do we identify these talents that slip through the cracks?"
Thanks, I definitely missed his comments then.

Still seems kinda weird since it was so long ago and there's no telling how Krug would have developed here under the dumpster fire regime of Karmanos and JR (especially in that 2011-2012 window), but he would have definitely helped our pitiful powerplay the last few years if he did develop similarly here as he did in Boston.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
True. What the Borg could do is make a stealth move next offseason and trade Jordan Staal to a team like Pittsburgh to get rid of the NMC Lucic-style. Then they can protect all of the important guys. Still, that's a hard move to pull off successfully, but if Holland could move Lucic of all contracts, Staal's NMC shouldn't be as big of a hurdle to deal with considering that he still is a very good player.

A lot can change from year to year, but Staal is likely going to continue to be an important part of this team moving forward and a team looking to compete should not trade an important part to avoid losing an asset in the expansion draft.

He can take one guy.

I said Bean or Fleury?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
In regards to the expansion draft, I think they don’t really need to be that worried.

Priskie is automatically exempt from the expansion draft no matter which team he ends up signing with. If he lives up to billing as a top 4 offensive D, you protect Slavin/Pesce and the best of Bean/Fleury/Forsling and your top 4 stays in tact, with Sellgren waiting in the wings.

If they re-up Hamilton, then you protect Pesce/Slavin/Hamilton and more than likely lose one of Bean/Fleury/Forsling, but Sellgren is still waiting in the wings, and you still have 3 very strong top 4 guys, maybe 4 if Priskie hits the potential.

Getting a potential NHL ready prospect like Priskie, for free in ufa, shapes up the future makeup of the team in a very positive way contractually and in regards to Seattle.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
"Big if True"

Well, medium-sized if true.

The guy is four months *older* than Haydn Fleury and we're talking about him like he's about to wash out of the league if he doesn't grab a job soon. I'll be happy if we get him for myriad reasons, but I won't be holding my breath for any immediate impact.

There's an expansion draft looming. The team is in a vulnerable position with regards to the defense. The GM of that expansion team did not leave on good terms. Fleury or Bean to Seattle is on the horizon. Add in the upcoming free agent dates for Faulk, van Riemsdyk and Hamilton, and the depth in the system is going to be challenged shortly.

At absolute worst, we've got Slavin and Pesce on two of the top 30 or so contracts in the NHL for a while. With nearly-ready guys like Fleury, Bean and Sellgren still on entry-level deals, we would have to completely ignore the defense in a way that would be criminally negligent to be in *any* sort of vulnerable position with the defense. If anything, having two studs up top gives us a *ton* of flexibility to trade a guy like de Haan and allow a guy like Faulk to play out his walk season.

Again, worst-case scenario, we go into next summer looking for a No. 4 d-man *if* neither Bean nor Fleury show they're ready for the job.

He can take one guy.

It's amazing how much brain-power goes into planning and projecting protected lists when the end result is so minor.

Here's the list of guys who got taken by Vegas *not* as a result of a trade (i.e. a straight expansion-draft pick): Deryk Engelland (CGY), Jon Merrill (NJD), Luca Sbisa (VAN), David Schlemko (SJS), Alexei Emelin (MTL), Brendan Leipsic (TOR), Teemu Pulkkinen (ARI), Tomas Nosek (DET), Griffin Reinhart (EDM), Oscar Lindberg (NYR), Cody Eakin (DAL), Colin Miller (BOS), Brayden McNabb (LAK), Pierre-Edouard Bellemare (PHI), Marc Methot (OTT), David Perron (STL), Trevor van Riemsdyk (CHI), Nate Schmidt (WSH) and James Neal (NSH).

When Nate Schmidt is *clearly* head-and-shoulders the best player on a list of hockey players, it's not a great list.

The only teams that got hosed in the Vegas expansion draft are the teams that massively overthought everything and *forced* Vegas to rob them blind.
  • The Lightning sent Nikita Gusev, a second and a fourth to the Knights to steer them away from names like Slater Koekkoek and Jake Dotchin and toward Jason Garrison.
  • Minnesota sent prospect Alex Tuch to Vegas in exchange for a third-round pick and the Knights agreeing to stay away from Eric Staal and their young defencemen and to instead take Erik Haula.
  • The Ducks bribed Vegas to take Clayton Stoner with 21-year-old defenceman Shea Theodore.
  • Pittsburgh sent a second-round pick to Vegas to make sure they picked Marc-Andre Fleury.
  • The Blue Jackets sent a first and a second to Vegas, in exchange for the Knights taking on David Clarkson’s dead-weight contract and drafting the player the Blue Jackets wanted them to ... William Karlsson.
  • And who can forget Florida, which traded 15-goal winger Reilly Smith for a fourth-round pick and the Knights promise they'd take Jonathan Marchessault.
I'm sorry, but I'm just not worried about this group and the expansion draft. Basically, just don't be stupid, lose the worst guy possible and move on.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
With all the emphasis on hair, there totally should be the Head&Shoulders™ Best Player in the League call-out.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hey but the cap space. Signing of draft-related UFA normally means you shell out a max bonuses ELC of $3.775M AAV. If and when he doesn't earn it, the ex potentia performance bonuses still count as full against the cap in certain cap calculations.

We will move out salary. Or... did we perhaps already, in anticipation of August 15 and certain player we reportedly didn't trade for at the Draft?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Like, I'm sure there has been no tampering happening. There's just been a team feeling they maybe got some cap to purge, and a sought-out prospect with a moderate urge, the urge to surge...

Not anything like with that Fox boy and the Rangers.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Is WSH so loaded at (RH?) D that they can't offer him the big payday he wants. I'm seeing WSH's prospect pool being evaluated near the bottom of the league...seems like this is a huge miss, and hard to understand why this kid would want to go to CAR over a team that has a crappy prospect pool (admittedly, I haven't looked at their D sitch).

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Perhaps the kid is interested in or motivated by things other than pay days and playing time. Hard to say.

Reactions: DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Also a possibility that Priskie feels his ultimate desired role in the NHL is being a #1PPQB. Zero chance he ever gets that shot in Washington with Carlson on the roster. Of all the teams mentioned in the running Carolina has one of the more accessible PP entries given Faulk and Hamilton potentially walking in the next 2 years.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean, why did Andersen refuse to sign with us when we had pretty shitty depth in net and then instantly sign with a loaded Anaheim team after being drafted by them after re-entering? No telling on these guys some times. All I know is I'll take a win for us in this one considering the losses we've had (Andersen, Krug, Johnson refusing to sign with us)

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I mean, why did Andersen refuse to sign with us when we had pretty ****ty depth in net and then instantly sign with a loaded Anaheim team after being drafted by them after re-entering? No telling on these guys some times. All I know is I'll take a win for us in this one considering the losses we've had (Andersen, Krug, Johnson refusing to sign with us)

Fox

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
A lot can change from year to year, but Staal is likely going to continue to be an important part of this team moving forward and a team looking to compete should not trade an important part to avoid losing an asset in the expansion draft.

I said Bean or Fleury?

Yes, but you made it sound like OMG RON FRANCIS IS GOING TO BE MOTIVATED TO PLUNDER OUR TEAM OMG.

In the end, it's one guy. We have too many guys as it is, frankly.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Or maybe he’s a young guy and wants to be on a young and upcoming team, vs one with most key players that are older. Until he signs somewhere, it’s hard to say.

What is comical is that I find myself regularly checking Twitter to see if we signed a guy I had never heard of until a month or two ago.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Or maybe he’s a young guy and wants to be on a young and upcoming team, vs one with most key players that are older. Until he signs somewhere, it’s hard to say.

What is comical is that I find myself regularly checking Twitter to see if we signed a guy I had never heard of until a month or two ago.

The optimist in me says 99.9% of fans of other teams had never heard of Pesce and Slavin before their first few NHL years. Those two are about as good as it gets from a development curve, but obviously the Canes are high on Priskie to insert him into an already deep group (potentially swapping out McKeown).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad