Confirmed with Link: Priskie is a Jerky Boy [2 years/$925K AAV]

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I call BS on the $925k AAV. He for certain didn't sign without some performance bonuses. Full A at $850k, the very leastn

Plus it's 2 years according to the Canes link. (and his age, obviously).

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve watched some of his highlights and of course it’s unfair to base it off that, but I’m not seeing the fuss here. He’s got size and a shot, but he’s not a very high end skater. I don’t think we should be handing him a third pair spot today. This guy has to make the team like anyone else I would think, the idea that we would move someone for the guy in the YouTube videos is nonsensical. This guy looks raw and not very strong on his skates.

Good enough to be a strong in the NCAA but not that many guys translate, let’s see what he looks like in camp before we’re shuffling roster guys.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I call BS on the $925k AAV. He for certain didn't sign without some performance bonuses. Full A at $850k, the very leastn

Plus it's 2 years according to the Canes link. (and his age, obviously).

The original, now deleted, announcement tweet said it was a 3 year deal at $925k. Now the Canes site says it’s a 2 year deal with $850k in the NHL. Maybe an intern got too jumpy with the Return key?

Either way, great to have him officially signed.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If he ends up being any good at all Faulk and/or tvr are as good as gone. This team is going to have no part of faulk at 6M + and TVR likely asking for a raise over 2.5M.

I think the Borg has probably focused in on Dougie as the guy that they want to spend on. My personal bet is that they will extend him right after the Expansion Draft.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’ve watched some of his highlights and of course it’s unfair to base it off that, but I’m not seeing the fuss here. He’s got size and a shot, but he’s not a very high end skater. I don’t think we should be handing him a third pair spot today. This guy has to make the team like anyone else I would think, the idea that we would move someone for the guy in the YouTube videos is nonsensical. This guy looks raw and not very strong on his skates.

Good enough to be a strong in the NCAA but not that many guys translate, let’s see what he looks like in camp before we’re shuffling roster guys.

Agree. I’d hope they hold onto Faulk, but I’d not be surprised if TVR were to be dealt, provided a team was ok with his injury recovery.

I guess I’m one of the outliers that wouldn’t mind the breakup of the Pesce-Faulk pairing so they could load up each pair and also balance the lefties with the righties:

Slavin-Hamilton
Bean/Fleury/Forsling-Pesce
Bean/Fleury/Forsling-Faulk

Now with Priskie and TVR probably being ready for the start of the season, I have no idea how the D will shake out. Camp will
Be a bloodbath.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Agree. I’d hope they hold onto Faulk, but I’d not be surprised if TVR were to be dealt, provided a team was ok with his injury recovery.

I guess I’m one of the outliers that wouldn’t mind the breakup of the Pesce-Faulk pairing so they could load up each pair and also balance the lefties with the righties:

Slavin-Hamilton

Now with Priskie and TVR probably being ready for the start of the season, I have no idea how the D will shake out. Camp will
Be a bloodbath.
TVR has nothing to worry about from the “iso” videos I just watched. This guy can’t skate nearly as well as TVR and doesn’t seem to have much defensively going on. There’s a few sloppy puck plays. Bend your knees bruh.

Again it’s a small sample but something that should stand out is the skating from a legit NHL prospect. This guy looks like he’s gonna get beat wide pretty easy. First take reminds me of Carrick.

He gets the same clean slate everyone gets in camp, hopefully I’m wrong about that. Depth is good no matter what, it’s a good addition I just don’t think TVR or Faulk should be moved at this point.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC

Slavin-Hamilton

Be a bloodbath.

I just think that Pesce is better on the left side. Handedness matters for breakouts, protecting the puch, etc but if a righty is better on the left side then you can still play him there. You dont need to Mike Bancock where you want righties to be RD or RW and lefties to be LW or LD with no exceptions.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I just think that Pesce is better on the left side. Handedness matters for breakouts, protecting the puch, etc but if a righty is better on the left side then you can still play him there. You dont need to Mike Bancock where you want righties to be RD or RW and lefties to be LW or LD with no exceptions.

Yep, we got into that mentality when Peters was here, because he was a huge adherent of it. Not every coach is. Rod is far less concerned about handedness than Peters was, and has explicitly said so. He's a little more old school- back when he was playing, defensemen didn't have fixed sides very often. The LH/RH divide in the league was something like 80/20, and most of that 20 were forwards, so you really had no choice. But also, there was just an expectation that you could slot a defenseman on either side, because they had all played like that at every level of hockey. RH defensemen got used to playing only the right side because that was considered a rare and valuable thing, but there's no reason they can't play both sides effectively too.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe some might be getting Jeremy Welsh syndrome here, making assumptions on Priskie before we even see him.

After trading de Hann, I'd be downright shocked if they now traded Faulk. I'd be surprised if TVR was moved also. Even with TVR in the line-up, we are going to have 2 unproven/semi-proven guys in the line-up as the 6 / 7 and I doubt the team that made it to the ECF last year wants to go with 3 out of 7 D being new/unproven. Last year, they had 6 proven guys play all but ~20 games and Fleury, who played 60+ games the season before was the #7.

Even as we look to next year, there are no certainties about who is gone and who stays, but this does potentially does give the team more options, which is good given how much the team is already spending.

Plot twist, Priskie develops for a year in the AHL and breaks out into a regular NHL role...Fox starts with his guaranteed NHL spot, is overwhelmed, fails to develop, and flames out in a few years

I would think that Priskie going to the AHL for a year is the most likely scenario.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Even as we look to next year, there are no certainties about who is gone and who stays, but this does potentially does give the team more options, which is good given how much the team is already spending.

Honestly, I feel like Dundon has given management the green light to spend to the cap as long as the team is good. Not too concerned, IMO, about the finances of our organization. If Priskie turns out to be a top-4 guy, all the better. They can spend the freed up Faulk/TVR/Marleau money on Dougie & Svech and/or acquire some hotshot RFA next year like Labanc.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Honestly, I feel like Dundon has given management the green light to spend to the cap as long as the team is good. Not too concerned, IMO, about the finances of our organization. If Priskie turns out to be a top-4 guy, all the better. They can spend the freed up Faulk/TVR/Marleau money on Dougie & Svech and/or acquire some hotshot RFA next year like Labanc.

That's what I meant by more options. If none of the young guys show they are ready, they can re-sign Faulk, even with a raise. If one of them is ready, they can spend the money elsewhere as needed (Haula? Haula replacement? etc...)

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Plot twist, Priskie develops for a year in the AHL and breaks out into a regular NHL role...Fox starts with his guaranteed NHL spot, is overwhelmed, fails to develop, and flames out in a few years

....as long as it is Fox's 31st game when the Rangers figure out he's overwhelmed....

I would think that Priskie going to the AHL for a year is the most likely scenario.

@Boom Boom Apathy seems to have the right of this....I don't see a scenario where Priskie comes in and forces any sort of transaction...it does give the team the green light to move McKeown, who seemed to be the right-side fall back plan. That defense in Charlotte is shaping up nicely all of a sudden....even with Sellgren likely going back to Sweden.

I think this comes into play heavily next season when TVR and Faulk are up for new deals. One my get re-signed but both feels unlikely now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Slavin-Hamilton

Be a bloodbath.
I think with de Haan being traded, it pretty much assures Pesce is going to be playing his off side if he's not paired with Slavin. Faulk will definitely be in the top 4 also. I would rather not have to rely on Fleury, Bean or Forsling in the top 4.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Watched some Priskie videos. I like the way he plays in the defensive zone. He's calm, he doesn't try to do too much. He takes the simple play and doesn't try to be a hero. Just get the puck up to the next guy. Keep making one little play after another until you get it out. That fits in perfectly with what we're doing on defense.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Really, the only thing I like about this signing is that a bunch of other teams wanted him, and we got him.

Not saying it's not a good signing. Just saying I don't know **** about it, really.

I think back to when the FO was in on Jimmy Vesey and Brad Richards (the summer he signed with the Rangers), and neither of them signed here, not that they were going to anyways but it was at a time when this franchise was settling on AHLers instead of serviceable NHL talent.

I have no idea either about this guy but as you said he was sought after and signed here. Ryan Dzingel was a top UFA this summer and signed here. Last year CDH signed here, Williams came back. This wasn't the case 4-5 years ago. Feels good man.

(although I guess we did get Ron Hainsey that one year so it wasn't all bad, sucks he never made the playoffs here but shit happens)

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Really, the only thing I like about this signing is that a bunch of other teams wanted him, and we got him.

Not saying it's not a good signing. Just saying I don't know **** about it, really.

I've watched highlights of him scoring all of two goals and he looks really slick. Shifty skater who escapes pressure, finds open areas and makes really nice snipes. From that obviously highly representative sample of viewings, I am excited about this pickup.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what he's got when camp rolls around!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad