News Article: Price comes in high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
The difference between an $11M goalie and a 6M goalie is too insignificant to justify the cap hit. I guess $9M is acceptable out of respect to make him the highest paid goaltender but anything over $9M this doesn't make any sense and he should be traded.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I love Carey but I'd trade him. It's been proven in this league that your goalie doesn't need to be the highest paid player to win.
History shows that teams that have the best goalie in the league sooner or later wind up in the finals or winning cups. It's a good thing to have.

That being said, it's not a guarantee either. It doesn't matter if you have Price, Lundqvist, Roy or Hasek... you're not going anywhere if you don't have a decent team behind him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The difference between an $11M goalie and a 6M goalie is too insignificant to justify the cap hit. I guess $9M is acceptable out of respect to make him the highest paid goaltender but anything over $9M this doesn't make any sense and he should be traded.
It's fine to pay it. If we'd had a decent coach and a few extra pieces in years past this team probably would've already have a cup by now. People have it stuck in their head that paying Price means we can't have other players and that's absolutely false. The reason we can't have other top players is because our GM sucks.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Anything 10 or under I'm actually cool with. But I know lots of "fans" out there act principled and ***** that anyone makes even a million to play this game so you'd have complaints if Price was even making 8 mill. Hell, you get griping even now that he makes so much and has no Cup Final to show for it (as if that's his fault which makes me laugh so ****ing hard considering the **** he's been surrounded with). But realistically, 9-10 is fair for one of the game's best goalies. Anything more starts to get worrisome but it depends on term. Price may want to help the PA and get as max a deal as possible also to set him for life, but he also has to think with his heart. Does he want to be tied down with an untradeable contract for years?

Of course he'll get a NMC but if he signs anything over 5 years, he could be throwing away his prime on a team that may have to rebuild. So if I were his agent, I'd be encouraging to ask for over 10 million a year but nothing longer than 5 years. When he's 35 and has no Cup, he can at least then make his intentions to be traded or leave for greener pastures known. If he signs an 8-year deal, the guy is stuck unless the cap hit is anything under 8M a year. And let's be honest, Bergy will come to a deal with Price.

If we'd fallen apart a year ago and a rebuild was underway (which likely would mean MB was gone), I could see a trade. But Bergevin isn't about to either deal away his saviour (and get a return that would never justify it considering what most #1 goalies fetch) or let him walk as a UFA. He knows his job hinges on it. So Habs fans out there who clamour to deal Price and go with a cheaper #1 goalie, keep dreaming. Bergy doesn't have the stones. He's desperate to prove he shouldn't be fired and will put all his chips on the table. That includes giving Price whatever contract it takes.

CrazyShea

Mar 16, 2006
The Rock
Sign Price to a big contract. Give him a nmc clause that kicks in after 2 years. Then right before it kicks in trade him

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Nobody's stupid enough to have a 10+ million dollar goalie who has never stepped up in the playoffs in 10 years and who'll be on the wrong side of 30 with major injury history except for us, the organization with one of the best prospect pools in that position.

And people will keep wondering how come we're mired in mediocrity year after year.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Sign Price to a big contract. Give him a nmc clause that kicks in after 2 years. Then right before it kicks in trade him

Yes, because teams are going to line up to acquire a 10+ million dollar goaltender that'll be 30+ years old at that point...

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Nobody's stupid enough to have a 10+ million dollar goalie who has never stepped up in the playoffs in 10 years and who'll be on the wrong side of 30 with major injury history except for us, the organization with one of the best prospect pools in that position.

And people will keep wondering how come we're mired in mediocrity year after year.

Trade Price and Pacioretty this year.
The next 2 or 3 years you trade Weber, Shaw and Petry.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

You should change your name and perspective because you're going to be one unhappy Habs fan, if you really are a Habs fan if you don't.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
History shows that teams that have the best goalie in the league sooner or later wind up in the finals or winning cups. It's a good thing to have.

That being said, it's not a guarantee either. It doesn't matter if you have Price, Lundqvist, Roy or Hasek... you're not going anywhere if you don't have a decent team behind him.

Behind? :sarcasm:

Habarazzi

Feb 19, 2008

Oh yeah? You haven't met M.Bergevin yet

Please trade him before we get stuck with a contract we can never get rid of

Link67

Oct 8, 2016

Right, because the guarantees that we get better after trading the Best goalie in the world are a plenty. This goalie you speak of just got tossed out of the playoffs because his forward group SUCKED, might be the first goalie in awhile to LOSE a series in 6 who had a .933 SV%, Vezina numbers generally. But keep pushing your flawed argument that Price didn't step up. He stepped right up, from .923 SV% in the regular season to .933 SV% in the playoffs. Should he have played a few shifts on the PP as a forward too? or is that asking too much of this terribly overrated and about to overpaid goalie that we clearly don't need to avoid finishing bottom 3? oh wait that already happened, my bad..

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Oh yeah? You haven't met M.Bergevin yet

Please trade him before we get stuck with a contract we can never get rid of

^^^^

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Right, because the guarantees that we get better after trading the Best goalie in the world are a plenty. This goalie you speak of just got tossed out of the playoffs because his forward group SUCKED, might be the first goalie in awhile to LOSE a series in 6 who had a .933 SV%, Vezina numbers generally. But keep pushing your flawed argument that Price didn't step up. He stepped right up, from .923 SV% in the regular season to .933 SV% in the playoffs. Should he have played a few shifts on the PP as a forward too? or is that asking too much of this terribly overrated and about to overpaid goalie that we clearly don't need to avoid finishing bottom 3? oh wait that already happened, my bad..

So a sample of 6 games, where he got outplayed by the opposition goaltender, didn't steal a single game, gave up 2 duds in the last (must-win) game is your defence for his playoff prowess?

I could think of many goalies who are gonna cost 3-6M instead of 12M who can do that for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad