News Article: Price comes in high

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I hope Price gets 12m a year and a NMC just to stick it to every Price hater and doubter and everyone who thinks the goaltending position is easily dealt with.

It's not even about Price with some of these posters. Although I'm positive it's one or two people using alt accounts in this forum. Our fan base is notorious for going for our goalies throats when things are out of their control. It's the former goalie in me that will stick up for them. It's ruthless being a goalie in Montreal, it was made clear with Roy, and still goes on till this day. What some of these fans need is a decade of Andrew Raycroft caliber goaltending to know how previlevged we've been since the Thibault era.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
It's not even about Price with some of these posters. Although I'm positive it's one or two people using alt accounts in this forum. Our fan base is notorious for going for our goalies throats when things are out of their control. It's the former goalie in me that will stick up for them. It's ruthless being a goalie in Montreal, it was made clear with Roy, and still goes on till this day. What some of these fans need is a decade of Andrew Raycroft caliber goaltending to know how previlevged we've been since the Thibault era.
I'm fully up for that if we are in rebuild mode. Perfect way of restocking our prospects and building a new core.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm fully up for that if we are in rebuild mode. Perfect way of restocking our prospects and building a new core.

We have a GM and ownership group that won't rebuild. It's frustrating but that's just reality. This organization thinks a "retool" will get us a cup. And we're stuck with that, about to put ourselves in cap hell.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs need to trade him while he still has value. You could put two Price's in net side by side and it won't matter.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Well 10 million for Price doesnt seem so bad after reading Curry just got 40 mill a year lol.

Ya different sports but it puts the NHL in perspective when one guy gets a 200 million contract.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Dont even go there. I'd white knight any goalie who plays for us. A lot of fans of this team like to throw them under the bus first chance they get. The fact you're complaining about an elite goalie is ridiculous. Complain about the awful product playing in front of him. You aren't going to win when you're 28th in league scoring.
there is a difference between throwing him under the bus and putting a limit on what you'd invest into the position though?

The future is so damn bleak, signing price to 8 figures per year on the cap just makes it worse. I'd love to see it all get blown the **** up right now tbh.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
He will need to be traded, history has proven that you don't need to have the best goaler in the league to win the cup, offense is the key, we need a good center and a 2 way or offensif defenseman.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
When I remember hockey analists said 20 years ago in baseball the of the game is pitching, in hockey the name of the game is goaltending. Yes I've heard that from Michel Bergeron and other hockey experts, and maybe some of you posters :rolleyes:
Then Bergevin came and said a stanley cup winning team starts with good defense. This year Pens proven they were all wrong, winning with the worst D possible and not a top 5 of the league G. ...but 2 very good centers.

I've always said to win a Cup you need 2 good centers. TB with Lecavalier-Richards, red Wings with Yserman-Federov, Pens with Crosby-Malkin, Hawks with Toews-Kane, etc.

Reality doesn't lie. Maybe it's a good asset to have Price but I would choose Kopitar before Price and Getzlaf or Carter instead of giving a good winger to compliment Koivu (A Kostitsyn).

So now what's next? Price is gonna ask so much money that our team will suck at offense or defense, or both. Salary cap is here to stay.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
When I remember hockey analists said 20 years ago in baseball the of the game is pitching, in hockey the name of the game is goaltending. Yes I've heard that from Michel Bergeron and other hockey experts, and maybe some of you posters :rolleyes:
Then Bergevin came and said a stanley cup winning team starts with good defense. This year Pens proven they were all wrong, winning with the worst D possible and not a top 5 of the league G. ...but 2 very good centers.

I've always said to win a Cup you need 2 good centers. TB with Lecavalier-Richards, red Wings with Yserman-Federov, Pens with Crosby-Malkin, Hawks with Toews-Kane, etc.

Reality doesn't lie. Maybe it's a good asset to have Price but I would choose Kopitar before Price and Getzlaf or Carter instead of giving a good winger to compliment Koivu (A Kostitsyn).

So now what's next? Price is gonna ask so much money that our team will suck at offense or defense, or both. Salary cap is here to stay.

The difference between Price's current salary and a hypothetical new deal at $9M AAV is $2.5M per year. Do you really see this handcuffing us going forward? Have we had trouble fitting all our elite forwards under the cap with Price? No, because we can't get them anyway. :laugh:

Where are we going to go and find this 1-2 center duo? You have to build around what you've got. Nobody is going to give us an elite center for Price with 1 year left on his contract.

There's nothing wrong with paying your best players. We need to stop overpaying our depth players to be more efficient within the constraints of the cap.

By the way Kane isn't a C, and other than the Pens those teams won their Cups before the salary cap.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lg I've never felt that way and it was becuase of the c position. I have never imagined Habs contending in the last 8 years. At all.
How'd you feel in 2014 when Price led us to the 3rd round? Did you feel like we had a shot at the finals before he got run? Most of us did. And that was with an absolutely crappy team. In 2015 I felt like we had a real shot at the cup and expected us to add some help up front... never happened.

We've wasted this guy and we wasted PK Subban. There's absolutely NO excuse for the past four years. Carey Price took bad teams that should never have even been in the playoffs to begin with to 100 point seasons and 2nd and 3rd round finishes. PK Subban was money in the playoffs and we turn around and trade the guy away... Squandering those guys (along with Chuck, Beau and the others) is a mortal sin as far as I'm concerned and I have no idea how MB is still sitting in the GMs chair.

As for Price not making more than 8... you need to realize that it's 2017 and the cap is higher now and will continue to rise. Price is the best goalie in hockey, he's proven to his team that he's indespensible to them and it's time to pay the cheque. He's earned it.

And I couldn't care less about whether or not a goalie is your highest paid player either. You can absolutely win that way if you've got the right guy. But... you have to have a good team behind him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Murray is a top 5 goalie. People here constantly underestimate how good he is. He's better than Price at the same age.
Murray has been behind powerhouse teams. Once the Pens added Kessel, they became next to unstoppable.

Murray is still considered a rookie and has two cups. :laugh: That's absolutely insane. I think we need to see more of him to know how good he is. Obviously he's good enough to win with that club though. Pretty impressive start. :)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Murray has been behind powerhouse teams. Once the Pens added Kessel, they became next to unstoppable.

Murray is still considered a rookie and has two cups. :laugh: That's absolutely insane. I think we need to see more of him to know how good he is. Obviously he's good enough to win with that club though. Pretty impressive start. :)

Look at the D in front of him. Maybe it's the coach just having some incredible system, but Murray shuts the door in the playoffs. Career .928 already.

What's funny is that the only team he sucked against in the regular season was Washington. Caps fans were salivating at playing him. And he was hurt so they faced Fleury instead.

Maybe he's a Patrick Lalime and just looking better than what he is, but 60 games in his young career, everything says franchise goalie with him.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I don't know how would I rate Murray as a goaltender. Is he that good or the Pens offense is a killing machine?
In Montreal Habsland we have an history of beyong excellence in goaltending. By coincidence most of our hockey experts in medias are ex-goaltenders : Dubé, Lalime, Fichaud, Denis, Giguere, Theodore and others who are still from the school of the Dryden-Roy-Brodeur era. It leaves a print in their comments.

Now let's analyse teams who won Stanley Cups with average goaltenders.
Red Wings with Vernon and Osgood "good but not great".
Jonathan Quick with L.A. Fleury in 2009 Pens, Khabibulin with Bolts, Niemi with Hawks in 2010, Giguere with Ducks. They were not all Brodeur or Roy caliber. But they won. Or maybe goaltending has been teached and many goaltenders master the techniques that once only few were able to perform.

Today if I were a GM and would choose my very first player to start a winning franchise I would go with the no1 center. Not the goaltender. Or it would be like they say in french "mettre la charrue devant les boeufs", lol.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I certainly cannot see Montreal paying Price more than 10m...if that.

Tell me what other NHL teams, besides Arizona has the cap room to pay a goalie over 10m a year?
Probably just bottom feeders which Price probably wouldn't want to play for.
In reality his UFA options are limited next season, thought it take just one foolish GM to overpay,

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Look at the D in front of him. Maybe it's the coach just having some incredible system, but Murray shuts the door in the playoffs. Career .928 already.

What's funny is that the only team he sucked against in the regular season was Washington. Caps fans were salivating at playing him. And he was hurt so they faced Fleury instead.

Maybe he's a Patrick Lalime and just looking better than what he is, but 60 games in his young career, everything says franchise goalie with him.
Too early to say. I can tell you he wouldn't have two cups behind him if he was our goalie.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I certainly cannot see Montreal paying Price more than 10m...if that.

Tell me what other NHL teams, besides Arizona has the cap room to pay a goalie over 10m a year?
Probably just bottom feeders which Price probably wouldn't want to play for.
In reality his UFA options are limited next season, thought it take just one foolish GM to overpay,
Toronto would happily pay him 10+ and they'd probably go on to win multiple cups with him.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The difference between Price's current salary and a hypothetical new deal at $9M AAV is $2.5M per year. Do you really see this handcuffing us going forward? Have we had trouble fitting all our elite forwards under the cap with Price? No, because we can't get them anyway. :laugh:

Where are we going to go and find this 1-2 center duo? You have to build around what you've got. Nobody is going to give us an elite center for Price with 1 year left on his contract.

There's nothing wrong with paying your best players. We need to stop overpaying our depth players to be more efficient within the constraints of the cap.

By the way Kane isn't a C, and other than the Pens those teams won their Cups before the salary cap.

So basicly we can't trade Price to get Kopitar or Toews just as an example. I remember hearing Ron Fournier saying 29 GM of the league would prefer Price to Kopitar, ... except L.A. Kings GM, lol. "In L.A. they rate Kopitar higher and it's only them". I'm still quoting Fournier.
That's paradoxal and it shows how much trouble we are. So we have to do without a true no1 center and even not a quality no2 center. But we have plenty of no3 and no4 centers, lol. I laught but not really, it's pathetic. Bergevin can't even get Duchene or Hanzal and I'm far from crazy about them. If Bergevin doesn't bring a new center it will be the same song again : aging Plekky (that's so sad, so pathetic to have him again), Danault, Galchenyuk or Drouin who are more wingers and Ott or McCarron, Hudon, of Sherbak. Imagine you are Julien, what do you do with your center line?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Doubt if the Leafs can pay Price 5m more than Anderson. So the Leafs sign Price and trade Matthews. No cap room for the one of Matthews, Marner or Nylander.

What contending team is going to hamstring themselves with a 10m goalie? And as we have seen recently the teams with best goalies don't win the Cup, heck don't even in make the Finals.

Catanddogguitarrr: Funny how you mention Kopitar. Gotta believe the reason GM Lombardi was fired was he didn't know the value of his players and implications of a salary cap. Who else would have offered 28 year old Koptitar a 10 X 8 contact. No one. GMs are learning that they can spend money more wisely that overpaying one player.

Don't understand though why the Habs can't spend 6 X 2 on Markov but though it was reasoable to go 4.6 X 5 on Alzner. Radulov, I'd stay away from him and spend that 6m elsewhere if not this year if future years.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
How'd you feel in 2014 when Price led us to the 3rd round? Did you feel like we had a shot at the finals before he got run? Most of us did. And that was with an absolutely crappy team. In 2015 I felt like we had a real shot at the cup and expected us to add some help up front... never happened.

We've wasted this guy and we wasted PK Subban. There's absolutely NO excuse for the past four years. Carey Price took bad teams that should never have even been in the playoffs to begin with to 100 point seasons and 2nd and 3rd round finishes. PK Subban was money in the playoffs and we turn around and trade the guy away... Squandering those guys (along with Chuck, Beau and the others) is a mortal sin as far as I'm concerned and I have no idea how MB is still sitting in the GMs chair.

As for Price not making more than 8... you need to realize that it's 2017 and the cap is higher now and will continue to rise. Price is the best goalie in hockey, he's proven to his team that he's indespensible to them and it's time to pay the cheque. He's earned it.

And I couldn't care less about whether or not a goalie is your highest paid player either. You can absolutely win that way if you've got the right guy. But... you have to have a good team behind him.

We did not have a crappy team in 2014, it was good.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Doubt if the Leafs can pay Price 5m or than Anderson. So the Leafs sign Price and trade Matthews. No cap room for the one of Matthews, Marner or Nylander.

What contending team is going to hamstring themselves with a 10m goalie? And as we have seen recently the teams with best goalies don't win the Cup, heck don't even in make the Finals.

The Leafs are going to have to pay Matthews $10M+ in a couple of years, then throw in the fact Nylander and Marner are going to be needing new deals and things will be getting right in the Big Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->