News Article: Price comes in high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link67

Oct 8, 2016
So a sample of 6 games, where he got outplayed by the opposition goaltender, didn't steal a single game, gave up 2 duds in the last (must-win) game is your defence for his playoff prowess?

I could think of many goalies who are gonna cost 3-6M instead of 12M who can do that for us.

HAHA out played by Lundqvist... because the quality of the offense both goalies were dealing with was identical right? You mean to tell me Price wouldn't have had just as good a numbers if not better had he played the way he did and had our offense shooting on him?

Link67

Oct 8, 2016
Yes I know i got my wires crossed, the team has a potent offense that was only countered by Lundqvist and not their own inability to finish and put the puck in the net.

And our goalie is crap.

Perhaps we should have picked Halak back up off waivers last year to replace the useless bafoon and go Soaring into the conference finals.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Lock Price up at 9 or 10 AVV for 6 or 8 years, resign Markov for two years but for 5,750,000. Then sign Radulov to a home town discount.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price never did what Halak did in the playoff, I am starting to think he's a regular season player like Pacioghetty.
Halak got us to the 3rd round and so did Price. Price just never had a chance to complete the 3rd round for us because the Rags ran him.

Honestly, it's freaking sad the way we squandered the core we had. At the end of 2013 I really felt like we had something special with this club.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We outshot them and out-chanced them. But keep seeing what you want to see.
We outshot teams for most of the games in the 2nd half of the year. It didn't prevent us from being 26th in goals for from January on or 28th from February on... Our team can't freaking score. We make opposing goalies look like Vezina winners every night.

So what did we do about it? Zero at the deadline and then we put Chuck in the bottom six on the wing and Dannault as our number one... You can't make this stuff up folks. I'm not sure at what point our GM is going to figure out that you actually have to score to win.

As for trading Price, it might actually be the right move at this point. If our GM can't pull a rabbit out of the hat then we should just flat out rebuild. Absolutely disgusting that we're in this situation now. How the hell do you go from "up and coming" team to "over the hill garbage team" in four freaking years????

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Lock Price up at 9 or 10 AVV for 6 or 8 years, resign Markov for two years but for 5,750,000. Then sign Radulov to a home town discount.

1) It's not his hometown.

2) If we could have signed Radulov to a "discount" we would have by now...

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Maybe we can ship him in Vancouver.

As much as i love Price, he needs to be traded for good value. Doesn't have to be mind blowing.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Right, because the guarantees that we get better after trading the Best goalie in the world are a plenty. This goalie you speak of just got tossed out of the playoffs because his forward group SUCKED, might be the first goalie in awhile to LOSE a series in 6 who had a .933 SV%, Vezina numbers generally. But keep pushing your flawed argument that Price didn't step up. He stepped right up, from .923 SV% in the regular season to .933 SV% in the playoffs. Should he have played a few shifts on the PP as a forward too? or is that asking too much of this terribly overrated and about to overpaid goalie that we clearly don't need to avoid finishing bottom 3? oh wait that already happened, my bad..

The difference between 933 and 925 in the po is not the same as the difference between 6 and 10 million dollars.

And then factor in the injury history, never robbing a playoff series, and age.

I cannot believe posters here that want to pay price more than 8 for 6 years.

The way it's going I would not even do that.

10 mill for price. Why exactly. Habs will be the laughing stock of the league.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Yeah right...Habs wish. Price will come in around 11 million. He may even get more if he test UFA next summer. Markov is holding the team for ransom and Radulov is asking for 7 years at 7 million.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yes I know i got my wires crossed, the team has a potent offense that was only countered by Lundqvist and not their own inability to finish and put the puck in the net.

And our goalie is crap.

Perhaps we should have picked Halak back up off waivers last year to replace the useless bafoon and go Soaring into the conference finals.

This is so emo and useless. Think. Do you want to pay price ten mill or a great centre ten mill and a great winger 9 mill. Becuase you can't do that with price at ten mill. At least think.

God I despair sometimes around here.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Price should not get a penny more than 8. Even that will **** me off. He's proven **** all in the playoffs and he's 30. That's the brutal truth. Live with it.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Halak got us to the 3rd round and so did Price. Price just never had a chance to complete the 3rd round for us because the Rags ran him.

Honestly, it's freaking sad the way we squandered the core we had. At the end of 2013 I really felt like we had something special with this club.

Lg I've never felt that way and it was becuase of the c position. I have never imagined Habs contending in the last 8 years. At all.

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC

And our goalie is crap.

Here are the facts:

Our goalie is not crap, Price has been the best regular season goaltender in the league if you account for his body of work over the last 4 seasons, granted one of them was a lost season.

Our offense is average but we kept up with the Rangers in terms of generating scoring chances and shot attempts. Lundqvist was simply better and stole them game 1. Something Price wasn't able to do.

We have had Price for ten years, he hasn't made a huge impact in the playoffs in any of those years. He has never been worth 12 million (or even 8M) in any single playoff series he has played.

There have been many goaltenders in the 2 to 5 million dollar cap hit range who have performed just as well or better than CP31 in the playoffs in the salary cap era.

The best performance we've gotten from that position during Price's time with us has been from someone else.

With that being said, Halak is (close to being) done and has currently nothing to do with us.

Price has a history of (major) injury problems, especially for someone playing that position.

He will be over 30 before his next contract kicks in.

Contrary to popular belief, goaltending is a young man's position and aside from a few rare exceptions, almost everyone has their best years during their 20s rather than their 30s.

He was barely top ten in SV % among goalies who played 30 games or more last season. On the other hand, he was also only 0.04% away from being the 2nd best, which just goes to show how bunched up NHL goaltending is.

No goalie in the league makes above 8.5 mill, and despite Lundqvist's heroics against us in the playoffs, it is generally agreed upon throughout the league that his contract is one of the worst in the league.

Bobrovski who is coming off almost an identical season to Price's MVP year, is making around 7 mill and is the 2nd highest paid goaltender in the league. Price currently is not (if at all) significantly better than him. Granted we don't know how much Bobrovski might ask for his next contract, but do you see the Blue Jackets paying him 12 million? I certainly don't.

We have Lindgren, McVinen and (to a lesser extent) Fucale, who are some of the best goalie prospects in the league. It's the only position in our organization where the future does not look bleak.

Price is a technique-oriented goaltender, his attempt to make a save will be the same in May as it is in November. There is no "next-level", what you see is what you get. Which over a very large sample size is pretty darn good, but for a short series, where the opposite team isn't playing like it's November, it hasn't resulted into much success.

I could also go on a tangent about how blinded MB is by Price, and how Shea being his bff tempted him to trading Subban for him to the detriment of our team, and how we're on the verge of losing our best forward to free agency to preserve cap space for Price's next contract. But anyway, those to me are just some of the reasons not to sign him to a huge contract. Your milage may vary.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Here are the facts:

Our goalie is not crap, Price has been the best regular season goaltender in the league if you account for his body of work over the last 4 seasons, granted one of them was a lost season.

Our offense is average but we kept up with the Rangers in terms of generating scoring chances and shot attempts. Lundqvist was simply better and stole them game 1. Something Price wasn't able to do.

We have had Price for ten years, he hasn't made a huge impact in the playoffs in any of those years. He has never been worth 12 million (or even 8M) in any single playoff series he has played.

The best performance we've gotten from that position during Price's time with us has been from someone else.

With that being said, Halak is (close to being) done and has currently nothing to do with us.

Price has a history of injury problems.

He will be over 30 before his next contract kicks in.

Contrary to popular belief, goaltending is a young man's position and aside from a few rare exceptions, almost everyone has their best years during their 20s rather than their 30s.

He was barely top ten in SV % among goalies who played 30 games or more last season.

There have been many goaltenders in the 2 to 5 million dollar cap hit range who have performed just as well or better than CP31 in the playoffs in the salary cap era.

No goalie in the league makes above 8.5 mill, and despite Lundqvist's heroics against us in the playoffs, it is generally agreed upon throughout the league that his contract is one of the worst in the league.

Bobrovski who is coming off almost an identical season to Price's MVP year, is making around 7 mill and is the 2nd highest paid goaltender in the league. Price currently is not (if at all) significantly better than him. Granted we don't know how much Bobrovski might ask for his next contract, but do you see the Blue Jackets paying him 12 million? I certainly don't.

We have Lindgren, McVinen and (to a lesser extent) Fucale, who are some of the best goalie prospects in the league. It's the only position in our organization where the future does not look bleak.

Price is a technique-oriented goaltender, his attempt to make a save will be the same in May as it is in November. There is no "next-level", what you see is what you get. Which over a very large sample size is pretty darn good, but for a short series, where the opposite team isn't playing like it's November, it hasn't resulted into much success.

I could also go on a tangent about how blinded MB is by Price, and how Shea being his bff tempted him to trading Subban for him to the detriment of our team, and how we're on the verge of losing our best forward to free agency to preserve cap space for Price's next contract. But anyway, those to me are just some of the reasons not to sign him to a huge contract. Your milage may vary.

Here is the real fact. Threw December to Therrien got fired, you were in every forum trashing Price every chance you got. As soon as he got hot, you disappeared. You don't like Price? Cheer for another team because he's about to break bank with Montreal.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Here is the real fact. Threw December to Therrien got fired, you were in every forum trashing Price every chance you got. As soon as he got hot, you disappeared. You don't like Price? Cheer for another team because he's about to break bank with Montreal.
I hope Price gets 12m a year and a NMC just to stick it to every Price hater and doubter and everyone who thinks the goaltending position is easily dealt with.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Price will be signed and at the rumored cap hit it will be just the last nail in the coffin this franchise has long needed.

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016
I hope Price gets 12m a year and a NMC just to stick it to every Price hater and doubter and everyone who thinks the goaltending position is easily dealt with.

Are you a Price fan or a Habs fan???

12 millions per season would be terrible for our club.

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016

You are always there to defend and white knighted Price. By now we all know you dont give a crap about our club you are just a blinded Price fan

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You are always there to defend and white knighted Price. By now we all know you dont give a crap about our club you are just a blinded Price fan

Dont even go there. I'd white knight any goalie who plays for us. A lot of fans of this team like to throw them under the bus first chance they get. The fact you're complaining about an elite goalie is ridiculous. Complain about the awful product playing in front of him. You aren't going to win when you're 28th in league scoring.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There's nothing elite about this organisation or roster outside of Price. So clearly, I'm a Price fan.

If the team gave me someone else to cheer for, and didn't rely on Price to do everything, maybe I'd be a fan of that player too. But 60-point Drouin and Casper and selfish Weber aren't those guys.

It's the Montreal Carey Prices and has been for five years. Bonne chance haters... maybe he'll ditch and you'll get your wish, but it's his decision and no one else's.

We pay for the failures of the GM, Price is to the Habs what the petroleum industry was to Canada's economy under the Tories. We suffer from Dutch disease. And I for one really really like Price so I'm willing to ride it out.

11m, full NMC - salaries all paid in signing bonuses. If it's good enough for that bum Weber, Price definitely deserves it.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Price should not get a penny more than 8. Even that will **** me off. He's proven **** all in the playoffs and he's 30. That's the brutal truth. Live with it.

That is all he's worth but I'd be willing to go to $8.5 million, adding a bit of grease to the squeaky wheel.

I'm hoping this is a blessing in disguise and we trade Patches and Price. With a decent draft pick we get for tanking along with the pieces we get in trade, we can move forward with a decent core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad