Blue Jays Discussion: Presenting your 2020 Buffalo Blue Jays

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
How do trades work in this proposed season?

Giles is interesting, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him, or re-signing him if we can work out something that makes sense for both sides.

He's performed incredibly well, but he doesn't have a sterling seputation, and he isn't a flashy big name guy - I think we could work out something under market value (although I don't know if big money for a reliever can ever be truly efficient.).

As far as I can tell, there have been no club house issues since he's arrived in Toronto.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I agree. Pearson is top 10. Martin is at best in that top 15-20 mark until he proves something. Top 30 for Martin is safe.

At the beginning of the 2019 season the Jays pretty much had 2 in the top 10 according to MLB.com; Vladdy was 1 and Bichette was 11. Not that they had good reason to wait but if they Jays didnt call Vladdy and Bo up last year, they could have had 3 players in the top 10 ad Pearson is now at 8.

The early 90s Jays had a three year period where they had at least one prospect in the top 10.

Baseball America's Top 100:
1993:
Carlos Delgado (#4), Alex Gonzalez (#27), Shawn Green (#47), Steve Karsay (#55), Jose Pett (#75),
1994: Alex Gonzalez (#4), Carlos Delgado (#5), Jose Silva (#10), Shawn Green (#28), DJ Boston (#66), Paul Spoljaric (#99)
1995: Shawn Green (#6), Alex Gonzalez (#8), Jose Silva (#33), Shannon Stewart (#72), Sandy Martinez (#77), Chris Carpenter (#100)

Like imagine coming off 2 WS with a good core and that as your prospect pool. That is like the Jays having this prospect pool waiting and ready in 2017.

Gillick leaving, the strike and a series of bad moves by Ash didnt help. Plus the rise of the Yankees.

I was going to complain that BA didn't recognize how good Shawn Green was soon enough but they did make him top 10 after his A level season. His outfield defense upside was immediately apparent with great range and a tremendous arm. It's easy to forget what a tremendous prospect Alex Gonzalez was at the time. He had great range and great arm and a lively bat. It's a crying shame that not unlike J.P. Arencibia, he fell in love with the home run and seemed incapable of thinking about anything else at the plate. The result was not enough walks and too many strikeouts for a player with his modest production. Gonzalez essentially ruined his offensive contribution by trying to be a Jeter/Garciaparra type instead of a nice above average SS with a modest bat.

I remember reading a Blue Jays' history book written by Stephen Brunt from around the time that Gillick was moved from the GM job but hadn't left the team yet. I really recommend it, it's the story of the team from inception to the World Series Championships to the aftermath before the managed decline under Ash. Anyways, it was never really explicitly stated in the book but you could tell that Gord Ash had used internal politics at the organization to unseat the mastermind of the World Series wins. The truth on that topic alone would be fascinating as it was obvious that Gillick never wanted to be anything other than the GM until he retired from it. I believe it was all about money. The last years under Gillick weren't profitable believe it or not and Ash who was held himself up as the farm system mastermind promised his corporate bosses that he could win while keeping to a budget.

I don't know how far back these BA lists go. The Jays had Lloyd Moseby and Dave Stieb in their minor league organization in 1978/79. Those two would easily be top 10 at the time.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Now that all have officially signed, is the Jays system still top ten in the league?
keith-law.jpg

"No."

Reactions: BigBlu

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Might finally be the year I get out to Seattle

Good luck. Every hotel in the area hikes its prices like crazy for that weekend, starting almost as soon as the schedule is released. I haven't been down in like 4 years almost entirely because of that.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Any idea if the intersquad game will be streamed tonight? Yes I'm that bored/desperate.

I wish they would broadcast this. I don't even care about the quality I just need sports. At this point I'd even watch a day long feed of batting practice.

The 2 inter squad games next week are apparently being televised on Sportsnet.

Tuesday and Wednesday, starting at 6:30.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Rocker to Baltimore "I will sign if you give me 12 million dollar signing bonus"
Rocker to Toronto "Give me 500k overslot and we good"

:sarcasm:

Its worded weirdly, but I'm pretty sure the Tweet is implying that Kumar Rocker was asking Martin where he'd like to be drafted, and he answered Toronto or Miami. Its not implying that Rocker wants to be drafted by Toronto. We can deduce this because Martin is the one from Florida, whereas Rocker is from Georgia.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Its worded weirdly, but I'm pretty sure the Tweet is implying that Kumar Rocker was asking Martin where he'd like to be drafted, and he answered Toronto or Miami. Its not implying that Rocker wants to be drafted by Toronto. We can deduce this because Martin is the one from Florida, whereas Rocker is from Georgia.
That's exactly it. Rocker asked Martin who he wanted to be drafted by, and that was Martin's answer.

Reactions: stickty111

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Rocker to Baltimore "I will sign if you give me 12 million dollar signing bonus"
Rocker to Toronto "Give me 500k overslot and we good"

:sarcasm:

Leiter and Rocker dont declare for the draft. Go play independent ball and then sign with the Jays for free!!!

p.s. i know this is against the rules and nether player would consider it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Ah ok yeah that makes sense as I read it back. Read it way too quickly the first time. Thanks.

Reactions: kb

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Woo! (sorta) real baseball!

Everyone get your hot takes ready!
Vlad is fat
Bichette thinks he is a hall of famer.
Ryu is David Clarkson level bad as a FA
Pearson only throws hard.
Jansen can't hit
Fire Shapiro and Atkins
Montoyo only likes to bunt