Blue Jays Discussion: Presenting your 2020 Buffalo Blue Jays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Is it just me or did anyone else notice Fisher pulling a BJ Upton on the last play of the game. Dude took a light stroll out to that ball.

These ones are always tough for me because it's often the better option to take your time, read the angles, and play it smoothly off the wall instead of barreling into the corner and filing with it or watching it skip past you. So it often looks like a player isn't trying, when he's really just trying to be smart (and maybe a bit cautious) about it.

Having said that, I had the same thought. He could have at least sprinted for the first little bit and then eased up to make the right play, but it sure seemed like he was coasting the whole time.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I hope the Jays get away from the reviler role of set inning. As an example, Bass pitched against the the Rays best hitters I would have liked Giles instead. Obviously that would have been a disaster in hindsight but they need to get rid of the pitcher x pitches this inning.

I wish have liked to see Romano come out for the seventh. He threw nine pitches today (all for strikes) and looked great. Why not bring him back out? Have someone ready in case he falters, but he let him try to get a couple quick outs to avoid having to use ALL of your high leverage guys in every game.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I wish have liked to see Romano come out for the seventh. He threw nine pitches today (all for strikes) and looked great. Why not bring him back out? Have someone ready in case he falters, but he let him try to get a couple quick outs to avoid having to use ALL of your high leverage guys in every game.

Definitely. Romano was a starter so he could have easily pitched the 7th and he didn't pitch yesterday. Save Dolis and instead of bringing in Moran in the 9th to relieve Giles Dolis could have been brought in. And in a situation where Giles finishes the game, you have Dolis for tomorrow.

Overall, I thought the team played well in the series. Tampa is well managed and a very good team. Bullpen management wasn't good. I even questioned why Gurriel wasn't in the lineup when he mashed lefty pitching last year. I assumed it was to rest him but they brought him in the fifth.

Even bringing in Yamaguchi I didn't like. He pitched like crap in spring and summer from what I read. Why not Waguespack?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Can i just point out the first really weird thing this season...

Three games in and there are zero winless teams and zero undefeated teams. That seems very odd to me...
13 of 15 AL teams were 1-1 yesterday. Only teams were Houston and Seattle

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Matt Chapman’s frustrations with A’s organization evident

Disgruntled Oakland A’s 3B?

Sign me up!

What’s the equivalent of Lawrie, Barreto and Nolin? Shaw, Hiraldo and Kay?

Secondary prospects in Hiraldo and Kay have to be better because Lawrie had more control than Shaw.

Feels more like Biggio, Martinez, and Waguespack to me. I'm not sure how much control Lawrie had left but based on my memory he feels like he was a 2-3 WAR young player with lots of potential which feels like Biggio. Barreto was a top 100 prospect at the time so better than Hiraldo. I don't think Nolin was as good as Kay.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Feels more like Biggio, Martinez, and Waguespack to me. I'm not sure how much control Lawrie had left but based on my memory he feels like he was a 2-3 WAR young player with lots of potential which feels like Biggio. Barreto was a top 100 prospect at the time so better than Hiraldo. I don't think Nolin was as good as Kay.

We traded 3 years of Lawrie plus Barreto and Nolin for 4 years of Donaldson.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Dyson signing here would be hilarious.

Funny thing is he was drafted by the Jays.

148481028.0.jpg

Reactions: Cloned

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We traded 3 years of Lawrie plus Barreto and Nolin for 4 years of Donaldson.

Ok so Biggio has more control. I think the rest of the comparisons are ok though. I still think Biggio is a better comparison than Shaw. Lawrie hadn't fallen off that much by then, he was still highly regarded at the time of the trade.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ok so Biggio has more control. I think the rest of the comparisons are ok though. I still think Biggio is a better comparison than Shaw. Lawrie hadn't fallen off that much by then, he was still highly regarded at the time of the trade.

100%. Biggio is much better than Shaw. In the end i know Oakland isnt stupid and wouldnt make that same mistake twice.

If we wanted Chapman, they would ask for Martin or Pearson plus one of Groshans or SWR/Manoah. We wouldnt give it to them but they would ask.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just a heads up that I'll probably be swapping out this thread in an hour or two when all the back-east people start going to bed and it dies down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->