Blue Jays Discussion: Presenting your 2020 Buffalo Blue Jays

Status
Not open for further replies.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Do you mind explaining how that works? First I've heard of it

From what I remember; there's a standard $2,500 minor league bonus that teams were initially lumping in with the total draft signing bonus. I think they can pay that out individually, so that for example a hypothetical $1,000,000 signing bonus actually counts as $997,500 against the MLB pool total.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I just can't get into this minutia about signing bonuses for baseball draft picks. I remember the days when the Jays would draft some guy high and you'd read about his progress once or twice during the year while obsessing over the starting lineup, how the manager was using the pitching staff/bench and what players seemed to be close to promotion. Simpler times...

And I guess it has happened before occasionally that a draft pick plays immediately in majors but it's exceedingly rare and unlikely. It's happened twice in past 20 years. I remember Brian Milner (1978) and John Olerud (1989) for the Blue Jays. These players more often than not have unremarkable careers.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
From what I remember; there's a standard $2,500 minor league bonus that teams were initially lumping in with the total draft signing bonus. I think they can pay that out individually, so that for example a hypothetical $1,000,000 signing bonus actually counts as $997,500 against the MLB pool total.

So wouldn't that give them room to pay an extra $12,500 over rather than the 5k or maybe 3 of the players numbers were reported with and 2 reported without(or vice versa if I've got that backwards)? Thus the extra 5k?

Reactions: Anthrax442

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Now that all have officially signed, is the Jays system still top ten in the league?
I’d say it’s easily top 10. Pearson, Martin, Groshans, SWR, Kirk, Martinez, Manoah...they’ve got some great prospects. Probably 2 in the top 10 overall, and 5 in the top 100. Future looks bright.

Reactions: stickty111

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
I’d say it’s easily top 10. Pearson, Martin, Groshans, SWR, Kirk, Martinez, Manoah...they’ve got some great prospects. Probably 2 in the top 10 overall, and 5 in the top 100. Future looks bright.

Have any rankings had 2 Jays in the top 10? I think 2 in the top 20 is fair. I think most rankings will probably have 4 in the top 100 vs 5. But still an exciting group!

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Now that all have officially signed, is the Jays system still top ten in the league?

For sure. Martin and Pearson are one of the best 1-2 combos in any prospect pool. They are right there with Franco and McKay, Lux/May, Kelenic/Rodriguez and Torkelson/Mize,. Jays are top 3-5 for me.

I honestly only take the Rays and M's farm over ours. Rays because of Franco (could be better than Vladdy) and their depth. Mariners because they have a system that has high end talent that fits our positional need; two blue chip OFs plus 4 mid rotation arms or higher and a 1B. All are MLB ready this year or likely next.

I have us right there with San Diego, Detroit, and Miami. Atlanta, the Chicago White Sox and the Dodgers are in the mix too.

The moment Pearson graduates then the system will drop to middle of the pack, but then you hope Martin, Groshans, SWR, Manoah, Martinez and others took big steps to get it back up to the top 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Have any rankings had 2 Jays in the top 10? I think 2 in the top 20 is fair. I think most rankings will probably have 4 in the top 100 vs 5. But still an exciting group!

I agree. Pearson is top 10. Martin is at best in that top 15-20 mark until he proves something. Top 30 for Martin is safe.

At the beginning of the 2019 season the Jays pretty much had 2 in the top 10 according to MLB.com; Vladdy was 1 and Bichette was 11. Not that they had good reason to wait but if they Jays didnt call Vladdy and Bo up last year, they could have had 3 players in the top 10 ad Pearson is now at 8.

The early 90s Jays had a three year period where they had at least one prospect in the top 10.

Baseball America's Top 100:
1993:
Carlos Delgado (#4), Alex Gonzalez (#27), Shawn Green (#47), Steve Karsay (#55), Jose Pett (#75),
1994: Alex Gonzalez (#4), Carlos Delgado (#5), Jose Silva (#10), Shawn Green (#28), DJ Boston (#66), Paul Spoljaric (#99)
1995: Shawn Green (#6), Alex Gonzalez (#8), Jose Silva (#33), Shannon Stewart (#72), Sandy Martinez (#77), Chris Carpenter (#100)

Like imagine coming off 2 WS with a good core and that as your prospect pool. That is like the Jays having this prospect pool waiting and ready in 2017.

Gillick leaving, the strike and a series of bad moves by Ash didnt help. Plus the rise of the Yankees.

Last edited:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I follow the Jays prospects frequently but don’t really pay attention to other teams. I believe in a normal year Martinez would have jumped up the rankings.

On another note I read somewhere the Jays play their first intrasquad game tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: phillipmike

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So assuming Minor Leaguer's numbers are correct it seems CJVE and Palmer were reported with the extra 2500 which accounts for the extra 5k,

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Any idea if the intersquad game will be streamed tonight? Yes I'm that bored/desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad