Blue Jays Discussion: Presenting your 2020 Buffalo Blue Jays

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What might MLB teams spend in an uncertain offseason? Ranking 30 clubs by 2021 payroll situation

1. Toronto Blue Jays

2020 projected payroll: $109.0 million
2021 payroll obligations: $53.9 million (five players)
2021 notable arbitration-eligibles: Teoscar Hernandez, Travis Shaw

Hyun-Jin Ryu is the big earner and Randal Grichuk and Tanner Roark are well-paid, otherwise the Blue Jays don't have much on the books and all those highly regarded youngsters (Bo Bichette, Cavan Biggio, Vladimir Guerrero Jr.) are still years away from arbitration-eligibility. Toronto has more young talent coming too, particularly righty Nate Pearson, who ranks among the game's top pitching prospects. He should arrive at some point in 2020.

The Blue Jays ran payrolls north of $160 million as recently as 2018. They will spend when they're good, and their current payroll outlook sets them up to be very aggressive in free agency this offseason. Maybe they don't spend huge on a Mookie Betts or a J.T. Realmuto, but they could load up on one- or two-year deals while the kids are dirt cheap. Could they get, say, post-back surgery James Paxton on a one-year prove yourself contract and Trevor Bauer on one of those one-year contracts he says he's going to sign? There's an opening for the Blue Jays to load up on short-term deals and make a run in the AL East in 2021 and 2022

Sign me up for Paxton and Bauer on 1 year deals. Would love a 2021 rotation of:

#1 Nate Pearson
#2 Hyun-Jin Ryu
#3 Trevor Bauer
#4 James Paxton
#5 Tanner Roark

Give a middle of the order bat on a short term deal like Ozuna or Brantley and I’ll be fine.

Cavan Biggio - 2B
Bo Bichette - SS
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B
Marcel Ozuna/Michael Brantley - RF
Lourdes Gurriel Jr. - LF
Teoscar Hernandez - DH
Randall Grichuk - CF
Danny Jansen - C
Travis Shaw - 1B

Hopefully Manoah and SWR are ready in 2022 if not earlier. Groshans in 2022 for 3B and Vladdy slides to 1B and Martin for CF.

MLB schedule: Ranking 2020 Opening Day matchups, with Yankees-Nationals at the top

The Rays could compete for the American League East crown, and figure to have Blake Snell on the mound. The Blue Jays, meanwhile, have all kinds of young hitting talent. This should mark the team debut of Hyun-Jin Ryuas well.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
13 of 30 home games against NYY, Red Sox and NYM would be an absolute dream for Rogers if they had paid attendance.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I am wondering if Martin will join the team since there’s going to be no minor league season this year.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I am wondering if Martin will join the team since there’s going to be no minor league season this year.

He'll almost certainly go onto the 60-man roster once he signs so that he can work out with all the other prospects and depth guys.

But unless he comes into the mini training cam and absolutely kills it I don't see any scenario where he actually joins the Jays' active big-league squad. I don't think they would want to start his service clock right off the bat.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

They look like they're leaving a spot open on their 60 man for him once he signs. Most likely won't be on their active roster, but will be in the same boat as Groshans, SWR, Kirk, K. Smith, & more.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Will there be a complete game thrown this season? The beginning of July is approximately the beginning of serious training. Considering that pitchers usually start up mid-February, that makes the end of the 60 game schedule equivalent to mid-May. Some pitchers and hitters don't really kick into gear until mid to late May.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yes to Bauer, no to Paxton. I'd rather give our own injury prone lefty in Borucki a chance(or one of the numerous young bubble arms) over Paxton

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Almost worse (from a baseball standpoint) than his denial that the virus is that bad is that in the article it's said that part of his reason to work is that he's close to breaking the all-time games officiated record (he wouldn't do it even if he handles a full slate of 60 games this season, but it'd put him in spit ting distance for next season)

So he's in a significant "it's not about you" job and one of his bigger motivating factors is something that's all about him. :facepalm:

We shouldn't be surprised though. Joe West blows all sorts of calls on the field, why should it be any different off of it?

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Almost worse (from a baseball standpoint) than his denial that the virus is that bad is that in the article it's said that part of his reason to work is that he's close to breaking the all-time games officiated record (he wouldn't do it even if he handles a full slate of 60 games this season, but it'd put him in spit ting distance for next season)

So he's in a significant "it's not about you" job and one of his bigger motivating factors is something that's all about him. :facepalm:

We shouldn't be surprised though. Joe West blows all sorts of calls on the field, why should it be any different off of it?

Dying on the field will definitely get his name in the record books.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He'll almost certainly go onto the 60-man roster once he signs so that he can work out with all the other prospects and depth guys.

But unless he comes into the mini training cam and absolutely kills it I don't see any scenario where he actually joins the Jays' active big-league squad. I don't think they would want to start his service clock right off the bat.

I was wondering if the clock would start this year or if they agreed on a provision because there is no minor leagues.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
has he really been signed,
litle coment after
Hazel posted it,

I wonder if he will be on the plane with the 2nd set of Jays players from Florida. Come up to Toronto, do a physical, sign and maybe do a press conference or conference call with Boras (we all know he wants it).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I was wondering if the clock would start this year or if they agreed on a provision because there is no minor leagues.

I doubt the PA would go for anything that stalled prospects' service time clocks while they were playing, regardless of the extenuating circumstances.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I really don't care at all about Joe West's personal views on the covid-19 death rate. I'm sure lots of players and officials hold views people wouldn't necessarily agree with. As long as he's not coughing in a manager's face during a disputed call, it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad