GDT: Preseason Toronto vs Montreal September 24, 2017, 7:30 PM, TSN4, Scotiabank Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
are you serious?

It’s not so much that the coach has doubts about a 21-year-old coming off an impressive half-season with the Leafs and a Calder Cup victory with the Marlies. But he’s been watching closely at the outset of training camp and is not seeing quite as much as he’d like from Dermott.

“Well I want him to act like he’s trying to make the team,” Babcock said Sunday, after the Leafs wrapped up three days of on-ice sessions in Niagara Falls. “So intensity and jump and compete. You know, young guys, sometimes when you arrive what happens to you, is you think ‘Oh I’ve arrived now.’
Yes, why wouldn't I be serious. "He" could be anyone.
You're referring to Niagara, is it possible Babcocks impression has changed since then?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
People often read to much into Babcock's comments to the media.

He's said he wanted to see more intensity from guys like Dermott, Johnsson, Kapanen. They all finished the year with the big club, so he doesn't want to see them get complacent.

While Dermott is almost certainly going to be on the roster, he still needs to work to secure the actual lineup spot. Given how Rosen played down the stretch last season, and into the AHL playoffs, and how he has looked in camp and in the pre-season games, it's not a stretch to suggest Calle Rosen could get a shot in the initial lineup.
The only way I see Rosen getting a shot is if Dermott is hurt still. I think him and Ozhiganov are the front runners on defense, with Carrick+Holl+Borgman on the outside looking in. Marincin is done

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Yes, why wouldn't I be serious. "He" could be anyone.
You're referring to Niagara, is it possible Babcocks impression has changed since then?
Acc I don't know any other way to explain this to you. Hes talking about travis dermott.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Acc I don't know any other way to explain this to you. Hes talking about travis dermott.
I believe you, a week or so ago he said he needs to step up.
Although being injured, perhaps he's stepped up .
Any current quotes?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I believe you, a week or so ago he said he needs to step up.
Although being injured, perhaps he's stepped up .
Any current quotes?
He hasn't talked about dermott since the injury I don't believe. You can watch all of the interviews on leafs youtube if you're interested.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He hasn't talked about dermott since the injury I don't believe. You can watch all of the interviews on leafs youtube if you're interested.
God no, who has time for that?

Just curious, I hadn't heard any talk of Dermott not making the team. I was wondering where it came from.

Injury make keep him out of the lineup Opening Night. If he weren't injured, he would be a lock IMO.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
@Morgs must really hate this right here:

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rosen-Ozhiganov
Dermott-LoVerde

God forbid Mikey being right about dermott not having a good camp.He didn't beat oz and rosen, its just that simple. People need to be more honest around here.

This is laughable. How convenient that you are going to ignore what Dermott did in the NHL after December through the playoffs and the Marlies Cup win, based on what Oz and Rosen have done in 2 games.... including a game where Dermott was injured.

This is why it’s impossible to take anything you say seriously. Thankfully we have Babcock and Dubas running things.

Dermott doesn’t have to beat Oz, who is RHD. He has to beat Borgman and Rosen, and what Babcock is doing is pushing his buttons to get him hungry to compete harder. He wants all of them battling as hard as they can, and fear is a great motivator.

Who is and isn’t waiver exempt will also factor in.

Let’s have some big picture glasses on when we look at what’s happening here.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
@Morgs must really hate this right here:

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rosen-Ozhiganov
Dermott-LoVerde

God forbid Mikey being right about dermott not having a good camp.He didn't beat oz and rosen, its just that simple. People need to be more honest around here.

er, he's been hurt all camp.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
This is laughable. How convenient that you are going to ignore what Dermott did in the NHL after December through the playoffs and the Marlies Cup win, based on what Oz and Rosen have done in 2 games.... including a game where Dermott was injured.

This is why it’s impossible to take anything you say seriously. Thankfully we have Babcock and Dubas running things.

Dermott doesn’t have to beat Oz, who is RHD. He has to beat Borgman and Rosen, and what Babcock is doing is pushing his buttons to get him hungry to compete harder. He wants all of them battling as hard as they can, and fear is a great motivator.

Who is and isn’t waiver exempt will also factor in.

Let’s have some big picture glasses on when we look at what’s happening here.
I don't like babcock, but if he doesn't care about past victories, neither do I. At the same time, you can't possibly sit here and tell us that dermott is at the same level right now (even before the injury) that he was at to end last year. Big deal, he might need a month in the AHL to gear up again, big f***ing deal. But no, you want to make it personal where you feel bad because you think i'm saying dermott isn't as good as oz/rosen. I'm simply telling you that as of RIGHT NOW he isn't playing as well as those 2, its just that simple. You can get mad all you want, you can make this about talent, but at the end of the day, this coach values the "what have you done for me lately" more than past victories.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
What is it about Dermott that you don't like?
I love dermott, I just understand that he simply hasn't had a better camp then rosen and oz, its that simple. This isn't a hot take, the coach is saying it with his words and actions, but people get all upset when you say that the star players on this team aren't making grade.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Do people not remember the progression Johnsson made from his 1st to his 2nd year after coming to North America? It was like night and day once he got used to the ice and systems.

Why are people so against the idea that Rosen, a player coming from a similar situation, at a similar age, can improve in a similar way in his 2nd year here?

Especially considering that ever since Rosen has come out of that transition period, he has outplayed Dermott every time they were on the same team/same level. I really like Dermott and want to see him succeed, but the disconnect seems so weird to me.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I love dermott, I just understand that he simply hasn't had a better camp then rosen and oz, its that simple. This isn't a hot take, the coach is saying it with his words and actions, but people get all upset when you say that the star players on this team aren't making grade.
Seems like you're seeing what you want to see based on a couple exhibition games.(I'm assuming you don't attend practice?)
He made a comment about a week or so ago, hardly definitive proof.
What other words or actions are you referring to?

(I don't see anyone upset)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I’m surprised people are harping on Mikey so much regarding our defensive pairings.

There IS a case for having Rosen ahead of Dermott. Dermott no doubt had a good finish to last year, but so did Rosen. it was always going to be a dog fight for the #5 and #6 spots. Some people though Dermott was\is a lock... but he isn’t! He hasn’t earned special privileges yet!

Reactions: CelticDruid

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I’m surprised people are harping on Mikey so much regarding our defensive pairings.

There IS a case for having Rosen ahead of Dermott. Dermott no doubt had a good finish to last year, but so did Rosen. it was always going to be a dog fight for the #5 and #6 spots. Some people though Dermott was\is a lock... but he isn’t! He hasn’t earned special privileges yet!
I don't think anyone is harping about anything.
I think he's being called out because of this "proof" he sees .

Rosen is a good player as well.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't think anyone is harping about anything.
I think he's being called out because of this "proof" he sees .

Rosen is a good player as well.
Must be someone I blocked. Judging by the comments, obviously for good reason.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Seems like you're seeing what you want to see based on a couple exhibition games.(I'm assuming you don't attend practice?)
He made a comment about a week or so ago, hardly definitive proof.
What other words or actions are you referring to?

(I don't see anyone upset)

Acc all of the scrimmages and interviews are available, he made the comment multiple times. Dermott straight up hasn't had a better camp than rosen, and yes that includes pre injury play as well.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

Exactly, like big deal our bluechip d man isn't playing like a slam dunk right now... BIG DEAL!!! Go down for a month get back up to top shape and come back up, but no, we can't criticize star players here in Toronto. Guy is 21 and has played in 43 NHL games, lets pump the brakes a bit.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

no there really isn't. Dermott is younger and better

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Acc all of the scrimmages and interviews are available, he made the comment multiple times. Dermott straight up hasn't had a better camp than rosen, and yes that includes pre injury play as well.
If the comments are so frequent, I'm surprised this isn't a bigger deal around here.
Like I said before, could be I've just missed all these Babcock quotes especially the one about Rosen having better camp than Dermott.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly, like big deal our bluechip d man isn't playing like a slam dunk right now... BIG DEAL!!! Go down for a month get back up to top shape and come back up, but no, we can't criticize star players here in Toronto. Guy is 21 and has played in 43 NHL games, lets pump the brakes a bit.
If Dermott does have start with the Marlies it's also another example of no one being given a roster spot with the Leafs just because of what they previously did. Obviously that would not apply to other young players like Matthews or Marner but I'm sure you get my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille