GDT: Preseason Toronto vs Montreal September 24, 2017, 7:30 PM, TSN4, Scotiabank Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
If Dermott does have start with the Marlies it's also another example of no one being given a roster spot with the Leafs just because of what they previously did. Obviously that would not apply to other young players like Matthews or Marner but I'm sure you get my point.
Thats exactly how it should be, merit based. Good thing coach thinks like that too, he knows he doesn't owe these young guys anything, they have to earn it.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Thats exactly how it should be, merit based. Good thing coach thinks like that too, he knows he doesn't owe these young guys anything, they have to earn it.
I know that's one thing Babcock and Shanahan wanted to change because that's the way it use to be until they were both hired.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dermott CAN be better, and has higher potential, sure... but so far, he is not playing better than Rosen.

Again, Dermott hasnt earned any freebies yet!
he is clearly better and proved it last year? believe it or not, some scrimmages don't really mean anything about who's the better player. Otherwise Bracco would be on the team based on merit.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
he is clearly better and proved it last year? believe it or not, some scrimmages don't really mean anything about who's the better player. Otherwise Bracco would be on the team based on merit.

And what I’ve said went in one ear and out the other... no point in discussing this with some one not willing to listen...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
And what I’ve said went in one ear and out the other... no point in discussing this with some one not willing to listen...
it's because you don't really understand what you're talking about. Dermott is better than Rosen as an NHLer, and that's more important than a few scrimmages where Dermott is hurt. Basing your opinion on preseason action isn't a good idea

Last edited:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
It's getting spicy in here.
Did someone say spicy? oooh yeah..

DPf9GGE.gif

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
it's because you don't really understand what you're talking about. Dermott is better than Rosen as an NHLer, and that's more important than a few scrimmages where Dermott is hurt. Basing your opinion on preseason action isn't a good idea

Lol, okay, sure... I don’t really understand hockey :rolleyes:. You don’t even know me... You clearly have nothing to provide so you go for the personal attacks.

Rosen was arguably the Marlies best defensman in the playoffs... playoffs which also featured... you guessed it... Travis Dermott.

Dermott wasn’t better in the Calder playoffs, he hasn’t been better in camp... why does Dermott get special privileges?

If Dermott is hurt, that’s all the more reason that he should start the season on the Marlies... otherwise Dermott may struggle to play catch-up in a very difficult league.

Dermott is still young... there is no shame in him starting the season on the Marlies... for some reason, this proposition really irks you...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lol, okay, sure... I don’t really understand hockey :rolleyes:. You don’t even know me... You clearly have nothing to provide so you go for the personal attacks.

Rosen was arguably the Marlies best defensman in the playoffs... playoffs which also featured... you guessed it... Travis Dermott.

Dermott wasn’t better in the Calder playoffs, he hasn’t been better in camp... why does Dermott get special privileges?

If Dermott is hurt, that’s all the more reason that he should start the season on the Marlies... otherwise Dermott may struggle to play catch-up in a very difficult league.

Dermott is still young... there is no shame in him starting the season on the Marlies... for some reason, this proposition really irks you...
it's because you're full of preseason hot takes. Rosen should play over Dermott because he's had some good scrimmages, even though he's older and worse at the NHL level. Ennis should play over Nylander because he's had some good games and is cheaper. Do you think Brooks should play over Kadri too? Should Bracco get Brown's spot? If Dermott is hurt then yeah his spot can go to Rosen. Otherwise, it would be very dumb to not have him in the opening lineup

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
I get why people were frustrated with Hyman at the start of that experiment, but he was good in his role last year, and has improved a lot. People forget he was a rookie as well 2 years ago. We're not that strong on the left side, all of our lines are good and balanced, and he's an important part of our team. Let's give it a rest.
yeah Hyman sucks

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
@Morgs must really hate this right here:

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rosen-Ozhiganov
Dermott-LoVerde

God forbid Mikey being right about dermott not having a good camp.He didn't beat oz and rosen, its just that simple. People need to be more honest around here.
Lol...he is injured

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
it's because you're full of preseason hot takes. Rosen should play over Dermott because he's had some good scrimmages, even though he's older and worse at the NHL level. Ennis should play over Nylander because he's had some good games and is cheaper. Do you think Brooks should play over Kadri too? Should Bracco get Brown's spot? If Dermott is hurt then yeah his spot can go to Rosen. Otherwise, it would be very dumb to not have him in the opening lineup

It’s not just the preseason though. Rosen ALSO had a very good year last year...

I’ve never ever suggested Ennis is better or should play over Nylander... so who is the one with Hottakes?

Dermott has never won a spot at the NHL level... I don’t know why you think he has... all he has done at the NHL level is show he can be very effective in EXTREMELY SHELTERED minutes...

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

It’s not just the preseason though. Rosen ALSO had a very good year last year...

I’ve never ever suggested Ennis is better or should play over Nylander... so who is the one with Hottakes?

Dermott has never won a spot at the NHL level... I don’t know why you think he has... all he has done at the NHL level is show he can be very effective in EXTREMELY SHELTERED minutes...

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Is there a easy way for all of Dermott, Rosen and Oz to make the team? So far all are deserving.
I'd assume it involves waiving Carrick and carrying 8 D?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Is there a easy way for all of Dermott, Rosen and Oz to make the team? So far all are deserving.
I'd assume it involves waiving Carrick and carrying 8 D?

Barring a rotation, it would seem to have to involve no Hainsey in the top six as well. Wouldn't want any of the three you listed sitting for an extended stretch.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Barring a rotation, it would seem to have to involve no Hainsey in the top six as well. Wouldn't want any of the three you listed sitting for an extended stretch.
Who am I forgetting?
Rielly
Gardiner
Dermott
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Oz
Rosen.

And that's only 7 D, when in theory we could carry 8(Carrick)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Who am I forgetting?
Rielly
Gardiner
Dermott
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Oz
Rosen.

And that's only 7 D, when in theory we could carry 8(Carrick)

We could carry 8 D and that might be what happens, I'd just wonder who of the seven (two if eight) gets scratched when all are healthy? Could make sense if it's rotational, but that might not be a long-term solution.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Id take Borgman over Rosen...

Borgman - Ozhiganov (Dermott fills in when healthy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->